Got back in town after vacation this weekend, came home to find the chromoly shafts for the rear JK44 waiting for me ; I wanted to go with the ten-factory ones, but those have been back-ordered for months, so I went with alloy USA ones instead; I had them press tone rings and retaining plates on the shafts so I can keep the stock shafts as trail spares. Took a few comparo shots with the stock rubi44 axles and the D44a shafts.
Chromo on the left, stock rubi44 on the right:
The splines are cold rolled and the splined section is slightly longer on the chromo shafts, the chromo ones are heavier as well:
Tone ring and retaining plate pre-installed:
Installing the lugs with a drop of the red stuff onto the flange:
Stock rubi44 on the left, stock D44a on the right; the JK shafts are clearly thicker (32 vs. 30 spline) and the bearings / retaining plate hardware / seals are all bigger as well:
This monring I finished cutting the fame side LCA brackets; actually instead of cutting them off completely, I made a slit on them then folded and rewelded them flat, thus bracing the frame rail, I figured this will keep some better structural integrity than just cutting them off; I then wire wheeled the clayton's subframe since I was getting a little surface rust and sprayed things with primer:
Do you ever wheel East? There is a new place in Huntsville TexasOffroadranch check them out on face book. It looks like a lot of fun. I was at 4wd appreciation weekend at hidden falls and some guys from Texas4wd told me about it. I am gonna be taking a group out there on Nov 4th.
Yeah, the WJ's still alive , got busy with life but I'll make sure to update the thread (took plenty of pics along the way). Still working on a few things left (it never ends), but pretty happy with how it's all turned out so far.
In fact, today I worked on the radio antenna relocate and bend. I was tired of the antenna getting hung up on branches, but the most annoying part was having to take it off every time I got the jeep up on the lift (it would hit the ceiling of the shop). I decided to drill a hole in the fender closer to the body and then bend the stem to follow the lines of the A-pillar. To prevent it from flopping around and hitting the jeep while on the freeway (making noise), I accidentally discovered I could tuck it in the weather stripping by the passenger door and it stays in place nicely (not shown in pics). It's a stupid mod but worth it to me to not have to take the antenna off and on each time I put the jeep on the lift. I used a trim plastic rivet to cover the factory hole as a temporary fix, I'll come up with something nicer later.