TX-WJ's build thread. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > TX-WJ's build thread.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-14-2009, 10:09 PM   #16
TX-WJ

2004 WJ 

Then, got tired of the way the chrome ring on the grille looked like, so I sanded and body match spray painted it; while at it, added some mesh grille love : (more on it here.)

before:

after:

Some action shots of the front end, I love the more aggresive look now (Yes, I do have a Freedom ed. fetish ):

This pic. don't do it justice, this is some nasty steep loose gravel Texas hillcountry climb at Cline's ranch "throttle up".

2004 WJ Ltd. (steel blue pearlcoat)
4.7, 242 HD swap, 6" Clayton's, 35" BFG KM2s, F/R chromo'd JK Rubi D44s
TX-WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2009, 10:29 PM   #17
TX-WJ

2004 WJ 

Then the D44a Aussie goes in :

(No, I'm not lifting the Heep by the diff, jst. supporting the axle while in the air.)

The wife giving me grief cause I may be disturbing the neighbors by wrenching afterhours me.

Putting the Aussie to the test at K-rocks: (Mopar front, t-case and gas tank skids went in sometime around here, sorry no pics; the front one seems like a waste, the t-case one is pretty bent but has done it's job; the gas tank one is PURE BEEF!, and was a pain in the arse to put in).

"Have you scraped your alum. diff lately?" , damn leaky D44a.

Last edited by TX-WJ; 05-16-2009 at 02:20 AM..
Unread 05-15-2009, 09:12 AM   #18
ANGJetMech
2001 WJ 

Nice lookin jeep! Was the grill pretty easy to paint? I'd like to get mine painted black
[SIZE="3"]"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post"
[/SIZE]

[COLOR="Blue"]Air Force Jeep Club- Tail# JF064NG[/COLOR]

[SIZE="4"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Black Bettys Build Thread[/FONT][/B][/SIZE] -----> [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=752646[/url][SIZE="4"][/SIZE]
ANGJetMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2009, 11:54 AM   #19
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Keep up the great work, my heep is jealous...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #20
cosjeeps
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGJetMech View Post
Nice lookin jeep! Was the grill pretty easy to paint? I'd like to get mine painted black
+1! I was just thinking yesterday that I'd like to lose the "chrominess" of my WJ's grill, but I'm a total newb when it comes to prepping/painting/finishing. Can't be too hard, but I wonder if someone would be interested in putting together a how-to...

Anyway, that's a good looking Jeep!
cosjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2009, 01:08 PM   #21
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Where abouts in Texas are you? I'm jealous of your Jeep. The color is great, and I have a Freedom Edition fetish as well. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

That has me drooling, but I can't pay that kind of money. The HO V8 is awesome. I have an I6, and I know the difference. Anyway, I don't want QTII anyway. :P Selec-trac ftw!

All right then, just wondering as I'd like to meet up with local Jeepers from time to time. Might learn something. Especially since I don't know how to do anything yet. My first upgrade will be the KOR steering brace. Wish me luck.

Geeze, just seeing your WJ in all those pics is making me want one. I'm going to have to really work on my ZJ to make myself happy. It's bronze. That color can work, right? Just gotta wax it enough...

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2009, 08:02 PM   #22
TX-WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGJetMech View Post
Thanks, just follow the link I posted for some more detailed instructions, but it's pretty easy, just takes some time. (more on it here.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1973 View Post
Keep up the great work, my heep is jealous...
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosjeeps View Post
+1! I was just thinking yesterday that I'd like to lose the "chrominess" of my WJ's grill, but I'm a total newb when it comes to prepping/painting/finishing. Can't be too hard, but I wonder if someone would be interested in putting together a how-to...

Anyway, that's a good looking Jeep!
(more on it here.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
Where abouts in Texas are you? I'm jealous of your Jeep. The color is great, and I have a Freedom Edition fetish as well. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

That has me drooling, but I can't pay that kind of money. The HO V8 is awesome. I have an I6, and I know the difference. Anyway, I don't want QTII anyway. :P Selec-trac ftw!

All right then, just wondering as I'd like to meet up with local Jeepers from time to time. Might learn something. Especially since I don't know how to do anything yet. My first upgrade will be the KOR steering brace. Wish me luck.

Geeze, just seeing your WJ in all those pics is making me want one. I'm going to have to really work on my ZJ to make myself happy. It's bronze. That color can work, right? Just gotta wax it enough...
I'm in San Antonio; yeah you're right, selec-trac FTW!

Unread 05-15-2009, 10:43 PM   #23
Madmike4790
2002 WJ 

Am i the only one to notice the stacked spacers???
Madmike4790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #24
TX-WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmike4790 View Post
Am i the only one to notice the stacked spacers???
Ummmhh, there aren't any stacked spacers anywhere in this Jeep, r u talking about the BB? ; the fronts go on top, the rears at the bottom as per Daystar's instructions. The factory rubber isolators are suposed to stay in under the BB.

Unread 05-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #25
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

I think he's talking about the spring seat, whatever you call it. There's that small piece that the spring sets against and then the spacer on top of that. Though it looks like you could use some spring retainer post extensions. Had any issues with that? You'd said your bumpstops weren't any good either. Do you have problems with that?

Unread 05-16-2009, 12:00 AM   #26
robiec04wj
2004 WJ 

2 overwelming thumbs up

beautiful jeep, i happen to have a freedom fetish too, just bought an 04 inferno red freedom, its only downfall is open/open diffs and the i6, fixin to do locker in the rear and 245/75/17 at's, and also thinkin about spidertrax spacers. have heard they don't ride well though, bein a dd and all, anyways, good luck with the build.
robiec04wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2009, 12:35 AM   #27
TX-WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
I think he's talking about the spring seat, whatever you call it. There's that small piece that the spring sets against and then the spacer on top of that. Though it looks like you could use some spring retainer post extensions. Had any issues with that? You'd said your bumpstops weren't any good either. Do you have problems with that?
Yeah, I think you're right, he's referring to the spring isolators, they are suposed to stay in AFAIK. I do have spring retainers / post extensions somewhere in the pile of parts siting in the garage, awaiting for the next phase of the build . Since so far I've been running stock arms, the droop is limited by the arms themselves, so not enough droop to pop a coil . See max droop below:

(as a side note, you can see the small loop with a velcro strap that I screwed inside the wheelwell to secure the swaybar when disco'd, not in use in the pic).
Unread 05-16-2009, 12:42 AM   #28
TX-WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robiec04wj View Post
beautiful jeep, i happen to have a freedom fetish too, just bought an 04 inferno red freedom, its only downfall is open/open diffs and the i6, fixin to do locker in the rear and 245/75/17 at's, and also thinkin about spidertrax spacers. have heard they don't ride well though, bein a dd and all, anyways, good luck with the build.
Thanks, inferno red was the color I always wanted on a WJ, but never found one when I was in the market for one. I've been running 1.25" Spidertrax for 2 yrs with NO issues whatsoever, and I DD'd the WJ forever, so fear not and git'er done . Just recheck torque on the spacers with every tire rotation or oil change and you should be good.

Last edited by TX-WJ; 05-16-2009 at 02:21 AM..
Unread 05-16-2009, 12:43 AM   #29
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

MX6 goodness? I don't know how I missed that before. I have to wonder, what with all the expensive upgrades you've made so far, why the BB? I'm planning on the OME springs myself. I have a list of mods so long I'd need to work three jobs and not sleep to pay for them all. :P I guess that's what they're talking about when they say, "It's a Jeep thing." I am surprised the droop is so restricted by the stock arms. Do you have an adjustable trackbar, and if not, how's the steering? Were you able to get it aligned?

Unread 05-16-2009, 12:59 AM   #30
TX-WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
MX6 goodness? I don't know how I missed that before. I have to wonder, what with all the expensive upgrades you've made so far, why the BB? I'm planning on the OME springs myself. I have a list of mods so long I'd need to work three jobs and not sleep to pay for them all. :P I guess that's what they're talking about when they say, "It's a Jeep thing." I am surprised the droop is so restricted by the stock arms. Do you have an adjustable trackbar, and if not, how's the steering? Were you able to get it aligned?
I do have a JKS TB , LOL; I got the BB/UCs combo for cheap over on JU a while back, it was, as for most of us, just a starting point and honestly I must say I doubt 3" coils would have been that much different on or offroad. Anyways, the BB will pass on pretty soon, stay tuned .

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.