TX-WJ's build thread. - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > TX-WJ's build thread.

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 02-19-2010, 09:58 PM   #211
TX-WJ

2004 WJ 

Got my HID kits in the mail yesterday, so I did a test install of the low beams tonight and took some pics.

All I can say is, holy crap! this things are bright .

Low beams: DDM apexcone 55w - 5000K on v3 ebay halogen projectors.
Fogs/Driving: DDM apexcone 35w - 3000K on Procomp55 bumper mounted lamps.

I have not installed the 3000K fogs yet, as it turns the HID bulbs are too long for the shallow procomp 55 lamps (H3s) that I have, so I will have to do some custom work to fit those when I have some more time.

First impression with the low beams on the v3 halogen projectors after turning them on in the driveway with the garage door closed was, Ohhhh **** , wha's this!! lots of bright spots & circles....horrible foreground spread, I mean, they are not HID projectors so what should I expect, right? ..... started immediately thinking that I should have ordered D2S bulbs and retro'd some real projectors; but after aiming them up a little (they were too low) and taking the Jeep for a spin, then my mind changed, and now I think it's actually pretty decent; a compromise I can live with and def. a big improvement over the yellow HIRs I had there. Sure, it does not compare to the even spread / light everywhere of say my A4's OEM HIDs, but for $39.99 and lifetime warranty , on a trail / weekend rig, this will do, yes sir!!. Not worth the extra cash / time and effort to retro HID projectors at this time.

The pics:

Notice the bright spots / circles / uneven spread at a short distance :

Now, look at medium distance - more of a "in the driver's seat while driving" kind of view , not too shabby.

This 55w kit is B-R-I-G-H-T:

The cutoff on these projectors it's pretty impressive IMHO, I like the sharpness and color on them, it's really the foregroung uneven spread of cheap china halogen projectors that's not too exiting , but again livable for what I need on the Jeep.

Cutoff:

Some outside shots in the dark showing how bright this things are:

That's it, I'll update this post when I install the 3000K fogs, I think that should help a lot with the uneven foreground spread issue .

TX-WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #212
XJ_Renegade
1999 XJ Cherokee 

People are going to see you coming and think the apocalypse is here.
Unread 02-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #213
TX-WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ_Renegade View Post
People are going to see you coming and think the apocalypse is here.
Hopefully they'll know better and will "stay away from the light"
Unread 02-21-2010, 12:14 AM   #214
pinguino50
1999 WJ 

Did you use a HID harness ?? or was conected directly ??
WJ Ltd. 99' QD/4" IRO springs/Up Country conv/wheel spacers 1.25"/Overland rockrails black/K&N FIPK/HO intake manifold w/ BBK throttle body/PML tranny pan and Dana 30 diff cover/206 cams/SCT9550/200 amp altern/JKS susp. (Adj. Track Bar, upper,lower and quick discos) Tera end links rear / Bilstein 5150 shocks/Addco front&rear/A-Arm spacer/Transgo perf shift kit/perf exhaust (520cfm): random tech. cat; dynomax sup turb 17769 and Kolak tailpipe/TPMS upgrade / IAT sensor relocated/265 75 16 Goodyear MTR's
pinguino50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2010, 01:01 AM   #215
Chadicus
2004 WJ 

Those HID's look great man. How hot do those 55 watt bulbs get? I want to put hids in my projectors but am worried that the 55 watts will melt the housing. Im just thinking about putting 35 watts in the low beams. Keep us updated.

1975 CJ5 Glass tub, AMC 304, Holley TA 470, D.U.I. distributer, 33" Goodyear MTRs
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #216
TX-WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguino50 View Post
Did you use a HID harness ?? or was conected directly ??
In those pics, since it was a test install, its hooked up straight to stock wiring, and it actually worked well, but then I noticed if I turned the ignition off then on, the RH lamp would go off then back on; so yes I bought their wiring harness, didn't feel like spending the time to build one myself. I'll be hooking it up once I do the final install. The fogs will go to the stock wiring since those are 35w and used infrequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadicus View Post
Those HID's look great man. How hot do those 55 watt bulbs get? I want to put hids in my projectors but am worried that the 55 watts will melt the housing. Im just thinking about putting 35 watts in the low beams. Keep us updated.
Thanks; I haven't had them long enough yet to tell how hot they get, but I doubt they will melt the housing as the front of the housing is pretty far from the front of the projector. I'll letcha know if I have those kinds of problems.
Unread 02-22-2010, 08:18 PM   #217
pinguino50
1999 WJ 

The harness I'm getting has some 50w resistances
WJ Ltd. 99' QD/4" IRO springs/Up Country conv/wheel spacers 1.25"/Overland rockrails black/K&N FIPK/HO intake manifold w/ BBK throttle body/PML tranny pan and Dana 30 diff cover/206 cams/SCT9550/200 amp altern/JKS susp. (Adj. Track Bar, upper,lower and quick discos) Tera end links rear / Bilstein 5150 shocks/Addco front&rear/A-Arm spacer/Transgo perf shift kit/perf exhaust (520cfm): random tech. cat; dynomax sup turb 17769 and Kolak tailpipe/TPMS upgrade / IAT sensor relocated/265 75 16 Goodyear MTR's

Last edited by pinguino50; 03-15-2010 at 10:39 PM..
pinguino50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #218
crashcraddock
2000 WJ 

Are the lights still going strong for you?(looking to get the same setup for the wife's WJ) Any problems with oncoming cars? Like the build too.
crashcraddock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #219
crashcraddock
2000 WJ 

Also what size press did you get? 12ton? Does it work good?
crashcraddock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #220
collister90
1999 TJ Wrangler 

these are the ebay projectors? i have heard that hid's will get to hot and melt the projector lenses? ever heard anything about this? I have a pair of projectors but still using the bulbs that came with them. just seeing if anyone else has ever heard of this

Edit: just saw the post like three above about melting nvm
collister90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #221
TX-WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcraddock View Post
Are the lights still going strong for you?(looking to get the same setup for the wife's WJ) Any problems with oncoming cars? Like the build too.
Well, so far, but I've only tested them a couple of times, so don't know yet if they will hold up well or not. No problems with oncoming cars, as they are in projectors and aimed well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcraddock View Post
Also what size press did you get? 12ton? Does it work good?
I have the 20 Ton press from Harbor freight, has worked great for several projects; I got it on sale at $199 I believe + 20% off coupon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collister90 View Post
these are the ebay projectors? i have heard that hid's will get to hot and melt the projector lenses? ever heard anything about this? I have a pair of projectors but still using the bulbs that came with them. just seeing if anyone else has ever heard of this

Edit: just saw the post like three above about melting nvm
Yeah, as above, have not had them / used them long enough to know bout melting issues, I doubt it but I guess I'll find out eventually .
Unread 03-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #222
Shinobi
2001 WJ 

hey did u have to move any of the front spring perches or arm brackets on the front axle ? Cuz I read somewhere that u have to move them and that they don't bolt up . Reason I ask is cuz I might be purchasing some jk axles soon :d

JK Rubicon D44 Axles installed into WJ - MallCrawlin.com Forums
Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #223
TX-WJ

2004 WJ 

Shin, since you have clayton's, I'm sure the CA brackets will work as I have measured them compared to the stock WJ D30 and they are pretty close as far as location. The stock JK spring perches do sit slightly further out compared to the WJ, but not by much, and reading on IROs website (how they in fact welded them further out than stock WJ to avoid the coil hitting the frame upon extreme articulation), and seeing pictures of their set-up, I'm pretty sure they will work just fine if you leave them where they are.

Again, I have not mounted mine yet, so take it for what it's worth, but I've had the axle for months in the garage (or is it years ), and after putting it right next to the front stock D30, I decided it was not worth to cut the perches or brackets for the front, except for the TB bracket and the sway link tabs that I did change, but that's cause I'm going high steer. As you know, the rear is a different story, as pretty much everything has to go and new brackets/perches welded.

Check this pics from Ken's (10achik) set-up (IRO's) and compare to my JK stock, and see the distance between the coil perches and the axle Cs, pretty close, don't you think?

IRO's ultimate JK swap:

JK stock:

My JK after new TB bracket, truss, sleeves, gussets; still want to truss the driver's side axle tube:

HTH .
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #224
Shinobi
2001 WJ 

thanks for the reassurance on my future purchase
Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #225
CaribouLouWJ
2007 WK 

I moved my coil buckets in, at the stock JK location, the springs were at way too much of an angle.
2001.5 B5S4 500awhp gutted track car
2002 WJ Limited
4.7 HO, 6.5" LA, 37's, JK 44's SOLD
CaribouLouWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.