Tuglife's WJ Overland Expedition Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Tuglife's WJ Overland Expedition Build

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 01-20-2011, 11:52 PM   #16
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Well it's been a while since I've had the $$$$ for anything jeep but thanks to my company safety incentive check I managed to finally put together a lift!!! Originally I planned to just do a KOR 2.5 BB and 31's but after researching and pricing it out I realized I could get OLd Man Emu HD springs for $30 more than the KOR pucks. Heard these are the best you can get plus I can always put spacers on top of them as opposed to being topped out heightwise with the KOR pucks. Plus my factory spring have most likely sagged over the years so I'd be lucky to get 2" anyway. And so the budget of my boost began to grow. Got my springs from Oconee offroad for under$270 shipped. Took way longer than they said but that seems to be the name of the game with offroad parts. Bought some used Bilstein 5125s in great shape from Yesfan here on JF. And got a good deal on some 255/70/17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2s at TireRack.com. Paid $790 for 5 tires shipped which is pretty good IMO. Just wish they had a pickup option since $95 of that was shipping from a warehouse that I drive past to work.

97a328e0.jpg   2df8acb8.jpg   4a981fb2.jpg  
4.7 HO V8, K&N FIPK, Old Man Emu HD Springs, Bilstien 5100, 31" 255/70/17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2, Black JK Moabs, Overland Rock Sliders, Tow Hooks, Westin Brush Guard, GTP Hood Vents, Mopar iPod Integration Kit
tuglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #17
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

Looking forward to seeing this with the lift and tires...I run the OME springs and like them. Let us know how you like the Bilstein 5125s.
03 Grand Cherokee Limited-White/Agate-4.7HO/QD-OME HD springs-1" spacers-MX6 shocks-OME SS-IRO rear links-255/75/17 BFG muds-JK Moabs-Muffler Delete-Magnaflow Cats x3-V3 Projectors 35w 5000k HID and High/Low harness w/relays-IRO Premium Sliders-SOLID D30 Cover-Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs/3/4" black shackles http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...1/#post9902192
--Enchanted Mountain Off-road Crew--Olean NY
enchantedmountainoffroad@gmail.com
platinum5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #18
tuglife
2004 WJ 

I had tapped a buddy with a shop with full lift and mounting and balancing tools for a favor helping me install but his favor started taking too long so I just went ahead and installed the lift myself, outside, in the snow, with limited tools. I was running without a spare on original stock tires with over 65,000miles that were losing about a lb of pressure a day in the cold. My new rubber is 31" so I had to lift to fit them. Not the best scenario but hey. No floor jack so we used a hydraulic lift table rated at 4,000lb under the hitch which worked really well actually. Note the level on the bumper, my friend helping is a German construction foreman! We got the old junk off pretty easy. The spring photo doesn't appropriately show the thickness difference of the OME's compared to the stock. They're beefy!!! Luckily the Bilsteins I got from Yesfan didn't have the upper shock sleeves included cuz it forced/reminded me to use the stock sleeves for a perfect fit. I wouldve forgot and this is the main culprit in a lotta guys rear end noise. They won't budge so used a blowtorch and pretty much burned them out,cleaned them off with knife and sandpaper, and then used soapy water and a vice to press them into the new shocks. Everything else went pretty smoothly on the rear end. The springs took a little convincing and it helped having my dad and Herman the German to help get them in. I did have to mount my shocks with the boot up cuz otherwise I'd have to switch all four shock sleeves but I've been told that tge gas shocks can go either way. Anyways rear end done and outta sunlight.
cfc7315c.jpg   4b118a54.jpg   3552751a.jpg   2b0c981a.jpg   f2ba0c62.jpg  

4.7 HO V8, K&N FIPK, Old Man Emu HD Springs, Bilstien 5100, 31" 255/70/17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2, Black JK Moabs, Overland Rock Sliders, Tow Hooks, Westin Brush Guard, GTP Hood Vents, Mopar iPod Integration Kit
Unread 01-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #19
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Drove around the previous night with just the rear lifted like a hotrod and everything worked perfectly. Great response from the springs, no noise or vibration. A marked improvement over stock. The next morning I got started on the front end. Used the hydraulic table again with some blocks under the diff to get her up on the jackstands. Everything came out as easily as the rear but I realized that the lower shock bar pin bolts are the "captured" kind and are not reuseable so made a trip to the hardware store for some replacement hardened steel bolts. Coils were a little tougher to get in on the front and would not have been possible without two people. The front coils do NOT simply pop into the lower rubber coil isolators with a little weight like the rear did. After quite a bit of struggling, some heaters pry bars and soapy water I realized that they are esentially a giant thread and can be screwed onto the isolator with two people and a little elbow grease. The front upper shocks have an eye on both ends as opposed to a vertical bolt like stock. To remedy this they come with a U shaped bracket with two holes at the bottom that take a bolt through the horizontal shock bushing and a vertical hole that sends a bolt up through the engine bay like the stock bolt went. The stock shock uses two rubber and metal washers that sandwich the fender metal as the bolt goes through the engine bay and a bolt on top to secure it. The vertical bolt that came with the Bilsteins is not as long as the stock one so both bushing washers will not fit. The hole in the engine bay is wide enough that the bolt could rattle around inside of it. Not sure what to do I installed the upper bolt with only the top rubber/metal washer and bolted it down tight figuring that this would be enough to keep the shock secure and since there is already a bushing in the eye of the shock it would not be just metal on metal. I guess I could just go get a longer bolt and re-install with both top and bottom bushings. Not sure on this. Please let me know if you've got experience. The bottom bar pins bolted in with new hardware just like stock. Was thinking about Bar Pin Eliminators here but not really sure what they do, improvement wise. Tightened everything up, put the tires on and took her for a spin. Heres the pics. Still on stock tires.
Unread 01-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #20
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Pics
a72132e4.jpg   3c7cae5f.jpg   18308f2f.jpg   22afca4f.jpg   abff8797.jpg  

Unread 01-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #21
tuglife
2004 WJ 

I ended up netting only about 2" from the OME HDs. Was hoping for more but since I don't have the cash for adj track bar, ext sway bar links, et al I'm probably better being under 3" for now. Like I said earlier I can always throw some spacers on top when I have the money down the road. Went and got my duelers installed at Monro. They broke one of my tire pressure sensors so now I need to find one cheap if anyone knows where they can be had other than the dealer I'd appreciate it. I've got plenty of clearance with the 255/70/17 Dueler Revo's. No rubbing whatsoever. Doesn't look like all that much but the height difference is definately noticeable. I'm 6'6" and it's noticeably harder to climb up in the drivers seat. My girlfriend complains that she needs a step to get in now. Def happy with the height!!!
Unread 01-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #22
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Pics
a1ac36b9.jpg   1aa6a418.jpg   5faf5cd0.jpg   b8d2f5df.jpg  
Unread 01-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #23
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Looking for some help!!!! The install went smooth enough but I've got some front end clunks!!! Pretty much any bump causes a loud clunk noise from my front passenger side. Occasionally drivers side too but predominantly passenger. I've got no wobble, everything feels great but the noise is unsettling!! Not sure what it could be, sway bar maybe, bar pins, maybe the top shock mount issues I mentioned earlier. I tightened everything when I was done but the clunk was immediate and pronounced. All bushings seemed fine. Take a look at my pics and write up. What'd I do wrong, what needs checked? Please any advice would be appreciated.
Unread 01-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #24
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

Is the track bar tight and set correctly?
Midshipmen Patrick 1/C USMMA DD: 2004 Golf GLS TDI 43mpg and 2002 Overland: Zone 4in, 32in Treadwright MTRs, IRO upper CAs, lift gate light mod, Alpine/Polk speakers, and power inverter with USB in dash mod, CB, custom rear swing out tire carrier Build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/apollo21-build-thread-902929/[/url] SOLD
Apollo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #25
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Not sure Apollo. I left it connected for the whole install since I wasn't replacing it and disconnecting the sway bars gave me enough working room. Think it might be loose? How do I go about setting it? Do you think the way I have the upper front shock mounts is okay or dodgy?
Unread 01-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #26
BransJeep
2000 WJ 

shocks? are they the correct length for the height?
4.5 inch lift, front Ironman 4x4 adjustable CA's
RB1 and full J&L audio setup
Rola roof rack
BransJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 04:35 AM   #27
tuglife
2004 WJ 

As far as I know they are the correct length. The member I bought them from here said they were for a 3" lift and ran them on his wj with OME HDs. Didn't confirm that though.
Unread 01-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #28
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuglife View Post
Not sure Apollo. I left it connected for the whole install since I wasn't replacing it and disconnecting the sway bars gave me enough working room. Think it might be loose? How do I go about setting it? Do you think the way I have the upper front shock mounts is okay or dodgy?
So you aren't running an adjustable track bar at 3in? That could be your problem.
Midshipmen Patrick 1/C USMMA DD: 2004 Golf GLS TDI 43mpg and 2002 Overland: Zone 4in, 32in Treadwright MTRs, IRO upper CAs, lift gate light mod, Alpine/Polk speakers, and power inverter with USB in dash mod, CB, custom rear swing out tire carrier Build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/apollo21-build-thread-902929/[/url] SOLD
Apollo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #29
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo21 View Post
So you aren't running an adjustable track bar at 3in? That could be your problem.
No I'm still running stock track bar. The springs only gave me 2" of lift at the highest so I assumed I could hold off for a while. Think it's still an issue? Frustrating that there's so many things it could be. Adj track bar, extended sway bar links, bar pin eliminators, beefier shock mount adapter to better fill shock post hole, all new bushings everywhere. That's a lotta money to throw at a mystery. When I get back from sea I'm gonna jack it up, pull the tires and yank on everything, loosen and retighten everything and bounce the front up and down to see if I can better diagnose, and if magic exists, fix this ****
Unread 01-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #30
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

I'm at 2.75" and I am running a stock track bar still and dont have any problems. I'd re-tighten everything.
03 Grand Cherokee Limited-White/Agate-4.7HO/QD-OME HD springs-1" spacers-MX6 shocks-OME SS-IRO rear links-255/75/17 BFG muds-JK Moabs-Muffler Delete-Magnaflow Cats x3-V3 Projectors 35w 5000k HID and High/Low harness w/relays-IRO Premium Sliders-SOLID D30 Cover-Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs/3/4" black shackles http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...1/#post9902192
--Enchanted Mountain Off-road Crew--Olean NY
enchantedmountainoffroad@gmail.com
platinum5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.