Torque App? - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 07-16-2013, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
tkcarp01
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Maysville
Posts: 118
Torque App?

Saw someone mentioned the Torque app for iPhone... Anyone use it? What you think? And what Bluetooth adapter do you use with it?

tkcarp01 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 07-16-2013, 06:45 PM
Jaspah
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 258
It's Android specific last I checked. And it supposedly works pretty well. I'd try to grab one of those low profile Bluetooth OBD II readers so you can leave it plugged in without hitting your leg.

There is an iPhone version but it's proprietary and expensive if I recall.
Jaspah is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 07-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Jrboarder27
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder
Posts: 1,208
Im interested in a direct connections for my Galaxy S4. there are OBD 2 to usb connectors but they all come with software that needs to be loaded on to a computer so im not sure if they will connect directly to my phone
Jrboarder27 is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 07-16-2013, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
tkcarp01
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Maysville
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaspah
It's Android specific last I checked. And it supposedly works pretty well. I'd try to grab one of those low profile Bluetooth OBD II readers so you can leave it plugged in without hitting your leg.

There is an iPhone version but it's proprietary and expensive if I recall.
I searched torque on the App Store and the first result was Engine Link.. It's a $5.99 app. Maybe torque changed its name...?

So, I guess my new question is... Anyone have any experience with Engine Link?
tkcarp01 is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 07-16-2013, 07:12 PM
narnwv
Moderator
 
narnwv's Avatar
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cross Lanes
Posts: 6,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrboarder27 View Post
Im interested in a direct connections for my Galaxy S4. there are OBD 2 to usb connectors but they all come with software that needs to be loaded on to a computer so im not sure if they will connect directly to my phone
Use blue tooth

Typing on phones sucks.
narnwv is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 07-16-2013, 07:35 PM
Jrboarder27
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
Use blue tooth

Typing on phones sucks.
I am aware of blue tooth I just assumed a direct connection would be more reliable and faster.
Jrboarder27 is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 07-16-2013, 07:40 PM
narnwv
Moderator
 
narnwv's Avatar
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cross Lanes
Posts: 6,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrboarder27 View Post

I am aware of blue tooth I just assumed a direct connection would be more reliable and faster.
Bluetooth is a serial connection just like USB. I've used torque for years, on 5-6 different phones and tablets, with an elm327 blue tooth adapter.

Heck, even the Chrysler StarScan they use/used for years was wifi.

Typing on phones sucks.
narnwv is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 07-16-2013, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
tkcarp01
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Maysville
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv

Bluetooth is a serial connection just like USB. I've used torque for years, on 5-6 different phones and tablets, with an elm327 blue tooth adapter.

Heck, even the Chrysler StarScan they use/used for years was wifi.

Typing on phones sucks.
Have you used with iPhone/iPad?
tkcarp01 is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 07-16-2013, 07:49 PM
narnwv
Moderator
 
narnwv's Avatar
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cross Lanes
Posts: 6,416
I couldn't find any decent OBD apps for iOS.

Typing on phones sucks.
narnwv is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 07-17-2013, 03:37 PM
rdkendrick
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 3,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
I couldn't find any decent OBD apps for iOS.

Typing on phones sucks.
Found Engine Link HD- OBDII Engine Monitoring and Diagnosis when I did a search for "torque" on the app store. It requires an ELM 327 OBDII WiFi adapter that plugs into the OBDII connector. I wish I could copy the images, but it looks like it does real-time diags, reads and clears codes. It only costs $6.99.

Sorry TKCARP, I just saw your post. I didn't mean to steal your thunder.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
rdkendrick is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 07-17-2013, 03:43 PM
its-me-B
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: milwaukee
Posts: 643
I use the one for android and love it... cleared the codes out of my buddies vw's, and keep it plugged into the jeep the rest of the time. I only have the free version but most of the features work, and hasn't failed me yet.

Do the world a favor, hurt a honda...
Iro 3" lift with pro comp 9000es shocks, adjustable trackbar, led rock lights, all interior lights converted to leds, two 10" kicker comp with Kenwood 600 watt amp
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #396
its-me-B is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 07-17-2013, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
tkcarp01
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Maysville
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick

Found Engine Link HD- OBDII Engine Monitoring and Diagnosis when I did a search for "torque" on the app store. It requires an ELM 327 OBDII WiFi adapter that plugs into the OBDII connector. I wish I could copy the images, but it looks like it does real-time diags, reads and clears codes. It only costs $6.99.

Sorry TKCARP, I just saw your post. I didn't mean to steal your thunder.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
No thunder stolen!!
I am waiting for the wifi elm 327 to arrive... And then I'll download and try. I'll be out about 35 bucks when it's over with... Seems stupid cheap if it works out!
tkcarp01 is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 07-17-2013, 05:57 PM
rdkendrick
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 3,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkcarp01 View Post

No thunder stolen!!
I am waiting for the wifi elm 327 to arrive... And then I'll download and try. I'll be out about 35 bucks when it's over with... Seems stupid cheap if it works out!
I just ordered the OTC 9450 OBDII Scan Tool, ABS and SRS Code Reader for $99 plus $16 shipping. I am hoping to see if it will clear my airbag light, or at least be able to diagnose it further. I wish the DBRIII weren't so expensive. I was reading a thread on here where one of the users, from Montana, has a DBRIII and found another for sale for $200. Man, I'd LOVE to find one for $200.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
rdkendrick is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome