JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Grand Cherokee General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/)
-   -   Torque App? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/torque-app-1549899/)

tkcarp01 07-16-2013 06:22 PM

Torque App?

Saw someone mentioned the Torque app for iPhone... Anyone use it? What you think? And what Bluetooth adapter do you use with it?

Jaspah 07-16-2013 06:45 PM

It's Android specific last I checked. And it supposedly works pretty well. I'd try to grab one of those low profile Bluetooth OBD II readers so you can leave it plugged in without hitting your leg.

There is an iPhone version but it's proprietary and expensive if I recall.

Jrboarder27 07-16-2013 07:01 PM

Im interested in a direct connections for my Galaxy S4. there are OBD 2 to usb connectors but they all come with software that needs to be loaded on to a computer so im not sure if they will connect directly to my phone

tkcarp01 07-16-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaspah
It's Android specific last I checked. And it supposedly works pretty well. I'd try to grab one of those low profile Bluetooth OBD II readers so you can leave it plugged in without hitting your leg.

There is an iPhone version but it's proprietary and expensive if I recall.

I searched torque on the App Store and the first result was Engine Link.. It's a $5.99 app. Maybe torque changed its name...?

So, I guess my new question is... Anyone have any experience with Engine Link?

narnwv 07-16-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jrboarder27 (Post 15684959)
Im interested in a direct connections for my Galaxy S4. there are OBD 2 to usb connectors but they all come with software that needs to be loaded on to a computer so im not sure if they will connect directly to my phone

Use blue tooth

Typing on phones sucks.

Jrboarder27 07-16-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by narnwv (Post 15685003)
Use blue tooth

Typing on phones sucks.

I am aware of blue tooth I just assumed a direct connection would be more reliable and faster.

narnwv 07-16-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jrboarder27 (Post 15685101)

I am aware of blue tooth I just assumed a direct connection would be more reliable and faster.

Bluetooth is a serial connection just like USB. I've used torque for years, on 5-6 different phones and tablets, with an elm327 blue tooth adapter.

Heck, even the Chrysler StarScan they use/used for years was wifi.

Typing on phones sucks.

tkcarp01 07-16-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by narnwv

Bluetooth is a serial connection just like USB. I've used torque for years, on 5-6 different phones and tablets, with an elm327 blue tooth adapter.

Heck, even the Chrysler StarScan they use/used for years was wifi.

Typing on phones sucks.

Have you used with iPhone/iPad?

narnwv 07-16-2013 07:49 PM

I couldn't find any decent OBD apps for iOS.

Typing on phones sucks.

rdkendrick 07-17-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by narnwv (Post 15685173)
I couldn't find any decent OBD apps for iOS.

Typing on phones sucks.

Found Engine Link HD- OBDII Engine Monitoring and Diagnosis when I did a search for "torque" on the app store. It requires an ELM 327 OBDII WiFi adapter that plugs into the OBDII connector. I wish I could copy the images, but it looks like it does real-time diags, reads and clears codes. It only costs $6.99.

Sorry TKCARP, I just saw your post. I didn't mean to steal your thunder.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

its-me-B 07-17-2013 03:43 PM

I use the one for android and love it... cleared the codes out of my buddies vw's, and keep it plugged into the jeep the rest of the time. I only have the free version but most of the features work, and hasn't failed me yet.

tkcarp01 07-17-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdkendrick

Found Engine Link HD- OBDII Engine Monitoring and Diagnosis when I did a search for "torque" on the app store. It requires an ELM 327 OBDII WiFi adapter that plugs into the OBDII connector. I wish I could copy the images, but it looks like it does real-time diags, reads and clears codes. It only costs $6.99.

Sorry TKCARP, I just saw your post. I didn't mean to steal your thunder.

No thunder stolen!!
I am waiting for the wifi elm 327 to arrive... And then I'll download and try. I'll be out about 35 bucks when it's over with... Seems stupid cheap if it works out!

rdkendrick 07-17-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkcarp01 (Post 15688734)

No thunder stolen!!
I am waiting for the wifi elm 327 to arrive... And then I'll download and try. I'll be out about 35 bucks when it's over with... Seems stupid cheap if it works out!

I just ordered the OTC 9450 OBDII Scan Tool, ABS and SRS Code Reader for $99 plus $16 shipping. I am hoping to see if it will clear my airbag light, or at least be able to diagnose it further. I wish the DBRIII weren't so expensive. I was reading a thread on here where one of the users, from Montana, has a DBRIII and found another for sale for $200. Man, I'd LOVE to find one for $200.

The time now is 05:21 AM.