Tj's 01 WJ Build thread - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Tj's 01 WJ Build thread

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #121
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Got my intake back from cleaning today so I started on my next mini project. The gasket match and polish.

Before cleaning

After

DyeKem layout compound on ports

Gasket mounted so that I can mark my lines with a scribe.

You can see how much bigger the gaskets ports are compared to the actual intake ports. All the blue in between the gasket and port will be gone once complete

Unread 04-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #122
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Realized I dont have many more up to date pics, so here are a few in no particular order.

Unread 04-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #123
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

Thanks for the link......I have been considering hood vents like that. How was the install? Also how do you like the mtr/k?
03 Grand Cherokee Limited-White/Agate-4.7HO/QD-OME HD springs-1" spacers-MX6 shocks-OME SS-IRO rear links-255/75/17 BFG muds-JK Moabs-Muffler Delete-Magnaflow Cats x3-V3 Projectors 35w 5000k HID and High/Low harness w/relays-IRO Premium Sliders-SOLID D30 Cover-Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs/3/4" black shackles http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...1/#post9902192
--Enchanted Mountain Off-road Crew--Olean NY
enchantedmountainoffroad@gmail.com
platinum5.9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #124
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum5.9 View Post
Thanks for the link......I have been considering hood vents like that. How was the install? Also how do you like the mtr/k?
There were a few things I ran into. First being that I wanted the vents where they would be found on a 5.9L zj (since thats what they are from) I spent a good bit of time trying to find info on placement. Then after transferring the zj measurements to the wj, the vents werent in an ideal position to make fastening easy. My thought process was to put them where I wanted them (same as the zj location), cut the holes, then figure out how to secure them.

The next issue with the install was cutting into a perfectly good hood. I probably spent 2 hours measuring and adjusting and measuring and measuring before I finally made the first cut.

Lastly was fastening them. When I bought the vents, they came with drip trays too. As badly as I wanted to keep the drip trays, it just wasnt possible because of where I mounted them. I trimmed and trimmed the trays to the point where they wouldnt even serve their intended purpose but they still wouldnt allow the hood to close. I ended up just cutting mounting nubs off of the trays, and using the nubs to secure the vents to the hood.

Here are some pics

Guess I dont have any pics of the drip tray nubs I used to fasten them, ill get you some if you would like.
Unread 04-27-2013, 12:02 AM   #125
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Bad a$$ build thread to match a bad a$$ Jeep. I'm reading through a lot of build threads for ideas for mine. I'm thinking that my WJ won't be my DD in 2014 so I can start playing then. How are the Vari-Lok's holding up? I'm digging the Dana 44 swap, I might look into that because I, like you, hate doing gears. I'd rather find a Dana 30/44 with Vari-Lok and 3.73's, clean it up, and just swap them in. I plan on the IRO 3" lift kit for my 4.0L so my stock gears might not cut it. I'm also really liking the TJ switch bezel, looks real clean.
I think that you've convinced me to go with the axle housings swap and a DC driveshaft from a ZJ. Keep up the good work.
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #126
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJ539918 View Post
Bad a$$ build thread to match a bad a$$ Jeep. I'm reading through a lot of build threads for ideas for mine. I'm thinking that my WJ won't be my DD in 2014 so I can start playing then. How are the Vari-Lok's holding up? I'm digging the Dana 44 swap, I might look into that because I, like you, hate doing gears. I'd rather find a Dana 30/44 with Vari-Lok and 3.73's, clean it up, and just swap them in. I plan on the IRO 3" lift kit for my 4.0L so my stock gears might not cut it. I'm also really liking the TJ switch bezel, looks real clean.
I think that you've convinced me to go with the axle housings swap and a DC driveshaft from a ZJ. Keep up the good work.
Thanks a lot man!

The variloks are holding up great and its a great swap to do. Only regrets I have is not waiting to find an open carrier/non vari-lok set of axles. Dont get me wrong, the variloks work great and have served their purpose well and still do. But, after a while I started to want more, and get lockers. Now with the variloks that would be a massive ordeal changing carriers and re setting up gears, by time you do that you might as well re-gear to a better ratio for your tire size, by time you do that you might as well go bigger tires etc.. etc...

I would say that the 30/44a setup, open or varilok, with the 3.73 gears, is a great axe setup of 32's and maybe 33x10.5"s on a 4.0L. With my 33x12.5's its such a big and wide tire, maintaining 70 mph highway speeds can be a pain sometime.

If down the road you do decide to re-gear, I would say you could safely run 35's without issue on the setup.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Unread 04-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #127
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

I'm probably not going with a locker. Although it won't be my DD it will still see a fair share of highway and my wife will be driving it. I've driven a locked truck once and it had a different feel to it, along with the click click click. I'm worried about my 4.0L having the power/torque after I lift it and throw on some 32's. I'm hoping the 3.73's will help. I won't be wheeling it hard, just having some fun. My Dana 35 is just starting to howl at highway speeds while coasting only. I replaced the carrier and pinion bearings 4 years ago. The ring and pinion gears were showing wear back then, so I imagine an axle swap is in my future.
Unread 04-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #128
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
I'm probably not going with a locker. Although it won't be my DD it will still see a fair share of highway and my wife will be driving it. I've driven a locked truck once and it had a different feel to it, along with the click click click. I'm worried about my 4.0L having the power/torque after I lift it and throw on some 32's. I'm hoping the 3.73's will help. I won't be wheeling it hard, just having some fun. My Dana 35 is just starting to howl at highway speeds while coasting only. I replaced the carrier and pinion bearings 4 years ago. The ring and pinion gears were showing wear back then, so I imagine an axle swap is in my future.
32's on the 4.0L with 3.73 is a great combination. I have a set of 265/75-16's hankooks that I use as street tires (save some gas and wear and tear on the mtrs) and its perfect. Plenty of power and the ability to cruise without kicking out of overdrive constantly. 3" of lift and 32's with a set of varilok axles will be a great combination for on and off road. Especially if your trim to gain full suspension flex.
Unread 04-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #129
oaklyjeep10
2002 WJ 

Sub'd
RCLAs | IRO 6.5" springs| Nitto Trail Grapplers 35s | Smitty built 8000 | Custom front Bumper | Complete sound system 2 12s | BTF cover and truss (rear) | Custom sliders | Flashpaq [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/dhalls-build-1508292/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/dhalls-build-1508292/[/URL]
oaklyjeep10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #130
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSWJ View Post
32's on the 4.0L with 3.73 is a great combination. I have a set of 265/75-16's hankooks that I use as street tires (save some gas and wear and tear on the mtrs) and its perfect. Plenty of power and the ability to cruise without kicking out of overdrive constantly. 3" of lift and 32's with a set of varilok axles will be a great combination for on and off road. Especially if your trim to gain full suspension flex.

Good to hear... Now I'll be slowly looking for a Dana 30/44a Vairlok's with 3.73's.
Unread 04-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #131
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Waiting on axle updates.
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #132
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc View Post
Waiting on axle updates.
No axle updates as of now. Still debating on if I want to go the jana 54 route or not, as well as (after watching your and dillonjm's threads) deciding if I want to stick with a lunchbox locker or go selectable. Still have to figure out which way I want to go for a front truss as well. I was considering going with AP's truss that he designed for you, but im thinking I want something that covers a little more of the axle length. Plus your going to be running coilovers so I dont know what would need to be changed in his truss design to run coils. Guess I need to talk to AP some more.

Also, my daughters birthday is coming up, so most of my play money has been going towards that.

Meanwhile, In between everything for the axles, Ive just been waiting to get a open rack and some spare time at work to get the claytons and 231 installed.

Ive also been slowly working on the intake port and polish to get that ready to go in when I do the camshaft upgrade.

1 port half done

1st port done aside from the polish. That wont be done untill very last though. This is a good pic to show how much bigger in comparison the port is compared to stock (on right)

second port roughed in

Its a long process, especially when im doing it 30 min at a time on my lunch break lol.
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #133
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

What cam are you planning on? Any other drivetrain upgrades?
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #134
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
What cam are you planning on? Any other drivetrain upgrades?
I have a 505 performance stage 1 came kit and some bosch 4 hole injectors sitting on my tool box waiting to be installed. When I put the cam in I will be installing the gasket matched and polished intake (my current mini project) and I will be gasket matching and polishing the cylinder head.

The above will go with my already installed k&n intake, exhaust setup, and superchips programmer.

Parts I will be adding to the list are a bored throttle body, as well as headers and high flow mini cats.

Farther down the road Ill be building up a 42re trans, but that wont be for awhile later. Ive got a spare trans already, but its just low on the list to be modded.
Unread 04-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #135
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

That intake will be hi flow. Hahah.

As for the truss, he can make it longer to run down the axle tube. We talked and with the 1/2 inch axle tubes, strength along the tubes shouldn't be a problem. Coil buckets could be easily added to his design to allow that. Along with a passenger side upper for 4 link setup. With my setup, the lower control arm mount on the drivers side has to be welded to the cast.

Coilovers are just a compact setup, that's why you need to get them FOA has reasonable prices and Greg's front and rear upper coilover mounts he made for me are pretty *****in. He can always cut another set for you

Locker too, if its seeing street time, I'd say selectable. I will be mostly trails, but a selectable front will be nice! Arb's would be sweet, but I'm much more comfortable with electrical over air. And they currently don't make an Eaton e locker for a 14 so I went with the grizzly over Detroit. If a shaft breaks, I've read, the shaft will take out the Detroit carrier. That flaw was fixed in the grizzly.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.