Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Tj's 01 WJ Build thread

70K views 388 replies 35 participants last post by  Bama_WJ 
#1 ·
Well figured I would start my own build thread, seeing as how I have gotten so many ideas of others thread, I figure maybe I can do the same for someone else so here it goes.

Cant find any pictures of when i bought it new, so ill just start with the oldest pics! Right after purchasing it I went to a local off road shop and ordered a 2in bb and some US Wheel D windows

Attachments

See less See more
#260 ·
Lol, you do have too many. Im telling ya, just go baja style with the wk.

What size ram did you go with?
Being that im using the stock pump, for now I went with a 1.5" bore, 6" stroke ram. The factory wj steering had like 6.25" of movement from lock to lock. So instead of buying a 8" ram and putting in an internal stop, Ill loose that 1/8" of turning left and right. No bid deal.

Being that you have new axles, your going to want to measure how much throw your steering has. Center the wheels, mark a center line on the diff and the tie rod. Turn left and measure how far off center you moved, then you can either double that. Or turn right and measure it just to be sure its the same for each direction.

Being that your running bigger tires as well, and your dub isnt going to see the street as much as mine does, you may want to step up to a 1.75" bore. It will have a little slower response, but you will have the strength you need to turn those heavy *** tires.

#261 ·
Got all the fittings and hose from summit today (aside from 3 ends that will ship tomorrow). Also bought the vise jaws and hose cutters for the fitting and hose. I have a tool problem that rivals if not surpasses my jeep problem. Buying the braided hose was an excuse to add a set of cutters to my box.

After opening up the fittings to change the OE power steering ports over to AN fittings, I realized I ordered the wrong ones. For some reason I thought they were metric fittings, well now come to find out they are standard sizes. After another 50 dollar order to summit, I should have the right fittings tomorrow.

Also, FINALLY got a chance to get the jeep in a spot it can sit for a little while. Now the tear down begins! Time for the claytons, 231HD, Gas tank tuck and custom skid, and hopefully if there is enough time fab a quick transfer case skid. I just need a temporary one untill I can afford to buy aluminum plate. Im shooting for a wheeling trip on the 6th, so its crunch time.

#267 ·
Just FYI, with a 1.75" piston on my ram, and the PSC pump/res, my steering is not fast or flighty at all. It is actually rather slow, even at freeway speeds, it definitely doesn't get darty, and I almost wish it was a little quicker.

As for anyone that says stuff like "one finger easy" they are either full of BS, or know something I don't.

#270 ·
great write up on the steering, thats the first one I've seen for a wj. and im sure it will be used by many. I have the 1.75 bore 6" stroke ram from trail gear, it turns very slow but strong enough to turn my 42s on the pavement at a dead stop. Not finger easy but easy enough. Its nice to have on rocks. im sure you will enjoy it esp with 35-37s.

#271 ·
Thanks!

Yeah, im only running 33's as of now. Once I finish building my axles and move up to 37's I may go up in ram size. First Ill prolly try it with the 1.5" bore first though since I plan on driving to and from each wheeling trip. I need to keep it as street friendly as possible.

A WJ on 42's, your rig still amazes me.

#272 ·
For what its worth, 37s actually steer nicely without the assist on the street. I can turn them at a stop without issue.

We'll see how they handle of road, I expect I'll wish I had a little more authority. You may not need more than the 1.5 even when you bump up.

#273 ·
Thats good to know. Thanks!

Got the correct box fittings from summit.

If anyone else wants to convert their complete power steering system to accept -6an you need 2 o-ring adapter fittings. The inlet is 11/16-18 o-ring seal (russell part# 648040) and the outlet is 5/8-18 o-ring seal (russel part#648030)

Also got my tube clamp and tabs from Ballistic today. Going to use the tube clamp to mount the ram to the tie rod, along with some of there universal tabs welded to the clamp and to the axle. Also ordered some of their shock tabs for the sterling axle.

#274 ·
Well, Im behind schedule because we have been way to busy at work for me to get time off for the dub. Yesterday was the first time I got to work on it since I got it on the rack, so i started the 231HD and clayton install.

Old 242 out

231 waiting to go in

Then, while I had the case out I figured it would be a good time to do some cleaning and get all the muck out from the undercarriage. All clean

As you can see I was starting to get some rust around some of the seems. I know rust is inevitable here in Ohio, but I would like to slow it down as much as possible. I prepped everything, and hit it with a couple coats of rustoleum gloss black rust stopper paint

As I was doing that I got the crossmember bolted together and installed, as well as cleaning the surface rust off all the other brackets, then primed and painted them.

Of course the bottle of my mig welder went empty without me realizing it, and everyone is closed for the holiday today. So I should be burning everything in on friday, granted I get the rear brackets installed today. I shouldnt say "I" am burning them in, my brother is a professional welder, and while im good with a welder, im by no means a professional. So he will be doing all my welding for me. He say's he is going to do a mix of TIG and MIG welding on everything as that will provide the most strength.

#277 ·
Thank you sir. I was going to go with the one from poly performance at first. As they make a tube clamp designed specifically for hydro steer. But, it was cheaper to go with the ballistic clamp and tabs.

Did you swap input shafts? Or do you not need to since its a 4.0?

And for that huge hole in the sye, there is a speed sensor housing that bolts in there, and then the speed sensor bolts to the housing. I found that out the hard way. I can look up the part number if you need.
Yes sir, I swapped input shafts out of another wj 242 that I had torn apart. I have the speed sensor as well, just havent put it in yet. Thank you though.

So Ive got this problem where I just cant allow someone else to work on my jeep. I have the know how to do everyhing I could ever want to it, so I wont let anyone touch it. Half the time I wont even let them help me do something.

With that said, I stole the argon tank off my 140V mig and put it on the 220v. Then started burning my brackets in. For those of you who have done claytons, did you do 2 passes like they say in the instructions, or just 1?

How do my welds look?

Any constructive criticism is appreciated.

#276 ·
Did you swap input shafts? Or do you not need to since its a 4.0?

And for that huge hole in the sye, there is a speed sensor housing that bolts in there, and then the speed sensor bolts to the housing. I found that out the hard way. I can look up the part number if you need.

#281 ·
No. That is their way to keep from burning through on the frame rails, run a quick, lower heat weld to build the area up then run more heat on the second pass.

I was able to manage the heat to keep from burning through well enough I didn't need to use their technique. Its hard to tell but I'm thinking I put more heat into mine based on discoloration on the brackets.

I did double pass my trusses though, the tubes are thick on these axles.

#285 ·
He's wheeling right now. And will be back on Sunday.

I know he wanted to tinker with the part file he used for mine to get it tighter to the center section without having to trim it by hand like he did on mine.

I'll probably be going down there Monday, so I can talk to him if he hasn't looked at his PMs yet.

#287 ·
Well, jeep is on hold for a few more days. Life's been throwing a lot of things at me lately and I just havent had time to get to it. Had 2 unexpected deaths in the family :( 1 we buried last week, the other just passed on Saturday. After I get my family through all this, ill be back on the jeep.

I did get some brackets in from Ballistic fab. Coil mounts, lower control arms mounts and some other misc fun stuff. I was going to go ruffstuff, but Ballistic's prices were cheaper than Ruffstuff's on sale pricing, and the brackets I wanted just looked a lot beefier coming from Ballistic.

Once Greg gets me a quote on a truss and upper control arm mounts, Ill have gathered everything I need for mock up on the axles. After that I can start saving for gears and lockers and get those bad boys in.

As far as getting the wj back on the road, im shooting for a new goal of a wheeling trip on the 3rd. Fingers crossed

#289 ·
Thank you sir.

They seem a lot nicer. I really like how they add the gussets to the link mounts, and the little plate that holds the bolt inside the coil buckets so you dont need a wrench. Its little things like that, that show the thought that went into them. I just couldnt believe that the normal price was cheaper than ruffstuffs 4th of july sale pricing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.