Tj's 01 WJ Build thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Tj's 01 WJ Build thread

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #46
WillMcD
2004 WJ 

You dont happen to have an open 44a by any chance do you? Or an open carrier and open shafts for my front d30?

04 WJ Limited Black, 5.5" LA hybrid (IRO Trackbar, Teraflex Springs, Bilstein 5100/5125 Shocks, IRO Critical Path High Clearance LA's + KOR 3/4" spacers, JKS Disconnects) 32" Firestone Destination M/T's, JCR Stage 3 Sliders, Black Moabs, Muffler Delete, Hella 700ff's, Yakima Load Warrior

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Phil:4:13: I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=billzcat;10933305]a lot of people waste their life playing FB games all day like Farmville, Cityville, Gangsterville, Hookersnblowville, Idonteffingcareville[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Green"]August 2011 GCOTM Winner[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[SIZE="3"][CENTER]Build Thread:[/CENTER]
[CENTER][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/04-wj-college-build-willmcd-1050247/#post9619953"]04 WJ College Build-WillMcD[/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER][/SIZE]
WillMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #47
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillMcD View Post
You dont happen to have an open 44a by any chance do you? Or an open carrier and open shafts for my front d30?
nope, sadly i dont. Ive been looking for some too, just in case i want to do lockers later on. But i figure if im going to put in new open carriers i might as well re-gear in the process, which i dont have the extra cash for. So im going to see how well these variloks perform and go from there. Plus we get a decent amount of snow here in the winter and i hear lockers dont do to well in snow. Come to think of it though i think planetcat has a d44a open carrier and shafts. Try pm'ing him, he may be able to help you out.
Unread 05-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #48
WillMcD
2004 WJ 

Ok ill send him a pm. Thanks
04 WJ Limited Black, 5.5" LA hybrid (IRO Trackbar, Teraflex Springs, Bilstein 5100/5125 Shocks, IRO Critical Path High Clearance LA's + KOR 3/4" spacers, JKS Disconnects) 32" Firestone Destination M/T's, JCR Stage 3 Sliders, Black Moabs, Muffler Delete, Hella 700ff's, Yakima Load Warrior

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Phil:4:13: I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=billzcat;10933305]a lot of people waste their life playing FB games all day like Farmville, Cityville, Gangsterville, Hookersnblowville, Idonteffingcareville[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Green"]August 2011 GCOTM Winner[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[SIZE="3"][CENTER]Build Thread:[/CENTER]
[CENTER][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/04-wj-college-build-willmcd-1050247/#post9619953"]04 WJ College Build-WillMcD[/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER][/SIZE]
WillMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #49
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Got the variloks painted and ready for intall. My jeep goes under the wrench on monday

Unread 05-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #50
sherker55
2004 WJ 

pic isn't working...for me at least
sherker55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #51
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherker55 View Post
pic isn't working...for me at least
It works everytime i look at it lol.

Sadly i didnt get to bring the jeep into the shop to tear into it today, we were too busy and the back never cleared out long enough to get my jeep on the rack. So ill have to wait till tomorrow. Anyways heres a pic of the KOR safari rack i picked up, and while i was out by toledo we stopped at bass pro shops and they had this old willys flexing out on a rock which i thought was cool.

Unread 05-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #52
sherker55
2004 WJ 

I can see it now. What did you do to prep for paint?
Quote:
She said call her when your over 4"
Unread 05-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #53
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Just took a wire wheel to them to knock off any heavy rust or debris, used a wire brush in spots i couldnt fit the grinder, then wiped them down real quick with surface prep. Ater that i put 2 coats of rust reforming primer on them, after that they got 3 coats of rust preventing paint. I dont expect them to be perfect, as you can see i didnt remove any of the brake lines or cables, or even the rotors and calipers for that matter. I just figured while they were out i might as well clean them up a bit, an seeing as how im in a bit of a crunch for time i figured that would suffice.
Unread 05-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #54
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Pics of the KOR safari rack i installed, havent been able to get my jeep in the shop to do the axle swap since we have been so busy. Plus my dad asked me to use my jeep to haul our trailer to help my sister move so the axles are on hold till monday.

Unread 05-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #55
r_kelly252
2001 WJ 

now i hate to be the newb with dumb questions...
I hate the word newb, i have wrenched on quite a few vehicles i do know quite a bit about them.
I for one dont like know it all's, ( we ALL know someone like that) so im the first to ask questions when i dont know the answer.
so what is a varilok? is that jeeps version of posi? what else did jeep put these in, all limited with quadra-trac have them right?
thanks guys, TJ your WJ has def come far. that bronco would be a nice rig alone, forget having the axles for your wj...lol
so i noticed your running teraflex coils 4" i myself just put some in my jeep as well. what kind of shocks you running?
i hid the check book from the wife for 3 weeks so i could swindle the money for bilsteins, staring to wonder if it was worth it. it def rides nice but i dont have any experience behind the wheel of another lifted wj, or if it was just the coils that made it ride the way it does. its def stiffer than stock but dam, it is still a very comfy mall crawler.
r_kelly252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #56
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Thanks for the compliment. Variloks are basically jeeps version of limited slips (or posi) exept unlike most posi units they use clutches instead of gears. But same difference kinda. The are found in all limited wj's with quadraDRIVE. Quadratrac is open carriers (one wheel peel) Although variloks are found in many jeep models, the only direct bolt in axle assembly for the wj are wj axles. The reason I'm swapping in these axles are 1 better traction off road without using a locker (as much as I want one the general response is that they suck in snow, and my jeep gets me to my plow truck in winter so that's no good.) the other benefit is the rear axle is a danna 44a (or 44hd) which is a great upgrade to the weaker Dana 35 that is factory in the rear of most laredo's.

As for the shocks, I'm running rough country. They ride just like the name, ROUGH! When I did my lift I was running low on cash, rc's were the cheapest I could find in a hurry. You did great going with bilsteins! Most everyone says they are a great riding shock and do just as well offroad. When I get the extra cash I will be getting a set for myself.
Unread 05-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #57
sherker55
2004 WJ 

dude, you kinda tripple posted!
Quote:
She said call her when your over 4"
Unread 05-13-2011, 05:17 AM   #58
r_kelly252
2001 WJ 

talk to kolak when you buy those bilsteins. he set me up. 5100's front and 5125's rear i made out good shipping was a flat rate (at the time) $10 all in all they ran me bout $310
but prices go up and down with availiblity. i waited about 4 weeks for mine to come in, i hear bilsteins are back ordered right now for extended length shocks. i have heard a guy on hear who waited 7 weeks for his bilsteins.
x3 post or not i got my answer and im sure there are many others out there reading who got their answer as well! keep us posted on that Jeep TJ, hoping you get your list of **** done before that bun in the oven is ready
r_kelly252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #59
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

So life has been crazy lately, and i havent had time to update this any. So long story short, the "bun in the oven" came out May 20th at 1:03pm. Little Arhiana Lee, its a crazy thing seeing your baby being brought into this world, and its definitly made me a different man. After all the madness of a new baby setteled down, i got to get back to the jeep. I finished the varilok axle swaps, and even managed to squeeze in a little wheeling. Now here are the pics

Only about a min old

thought red calpiers would look good, and since they were new i figured it would help fight corrosion

Wheeling at JeepSkool

when i attempted this, i broke an axle shaft and dented my pass front fender pretty good. I will say this, the variloks performed flawlessly! After being winched through the rest of the hole, i was able to drive out of the rest of the trail in 2wd, which amazed me!

Unread 07-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #60
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

And one recent pic of my baby so you can see how much she has grown already

Then the K&N intake i recently installed to make room for the zj washer bottle and some 33 or 35's

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.