Tj's 01 WJ Build thread - Page 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Tj's 01 WJ Build thread

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #286
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Thank you sir, I'd appreciate it. I told him I'm in no rush for it, just gathering parts now anyway.

Unread 07-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #287
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Well, jeep is on hold for a few more days. Life's been throwing a lot of things at me lately and I just havent had time to get to it. Had 2 unexpected deaths in the family 1 we buried last week, the other just passed on Saturday. After I get my family through all this, ill be back on the jeep.

I did get some brackets in from Ballistic fab. Coil mounts, lower control arms mounts and some other misc fun stuff. I was going to go ruffstuff, but Ballistic's prices were cheaper than Ruffstuff's on sale pricing, and the brackets I wanted just looked a lot beefier coming from Ballistic.

Once Greg gets me a quote on a truss and upper control arm mounts, Ill have gathered everything I need for mock up on the axles. After that I can start saving for gears and lockers and get those bad boys in.

As far as getting the wj back on the road, im shooting for a new goal of a wheeling trip on the 3rd. Fingers crossed
Unread 07-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #288
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to hear about the family.

Ballistic brackets are probably nicer than the ruff stuff anyway.

11 Ram 2500 - H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #289
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
Sorry to hear about the family.

Ballistic brackets are probably nicer than the ruff stuff anyway.
Thank you sir.

They seem a lot nicer. I really like how they add the gussets to the link mounts, and the little plate that holds the bolt inside the coil buckets so you dont need a wrench. Its little things like that, that show the thought that went into them. I just couldnt believe that the normal price was cheaper than ruffstuffs 4th of july sale pricing.
Unread 07-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #290
4x4Jeep
2001 WJ 

sorry for your loss.
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #291
CountryRebel60
2008 WK 

Sorry Bro! Think you need to paint them parts like zombie killer green or zombie blood. add just a hint of color to that thing
CountryRebel60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #292
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRebel60 View Post
Sorry Bro! Think you need to paint them parts like zombie killer green or zombie blood. add just a hint of color to that thing
Thanks bro. How's mama doin? Everything going well? Next night I have some free time im gonna be callin you. Been too long since we caught up. Same goes for me and Cricks.

I do have little accents throughout the jeep painted red. Diff covers, and winch for now. I plan on doing a few more though, it was just the black was an easier color, plus it hides things well and looks clean.
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #293
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Front arms are done. Rear lowers are installed. Should be doing the uppers tomorrow, as well as cutting off all the old control arm mounts. After that just have to finish up a few little things, then its on to the aluminum belly skid.

Unread 08-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #294
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good!

11 Ram 2500 - H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #295
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

And the trophy for the worlds longest clayton long arm install goes too...... TJSWJ!

And Im still not finished. Rear arms are all in. Still have to burn off all the original brackets, then clean and paint those spots. Then go put it on the alignment rack to make any final adjustments and tighten everything down. Then the suspension is condidered done!

Only thing Im concerned about is the front brake lines, even at normal droop on the rack (sway bar connected) the look WAY too tight! I think im going to order a set of braided stainless ones from Iron Rock, unless anyone else has a better idea.....?

Edit: looks like Clayton offers braided lines as well. I'll be ordering those once I get an email back from them confirming compatibility. I like the fact that they are Clayton, but more cause they are red.

Pics!

(yes, while taking the last pic I realized that I accidently ran the e-brake cables and abs sensors under the upper arms. They belong on top.)
Unread 08-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #296
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Got all the old brackets cut off and cleaned up (gotta love plasma cutters!). Started working on the front diff. Its getting new inner axle seals (been leaking a while), new pinion bearings, and since im going to be in there I decided to put a spartan locker in it. Locker was supposed to be here today, but for some reason its held up in MN

Also picked up the 1/2" 6061 aluminum for the belly skid

Unread 08-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #297
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Started the pinion bearing, axle seal, and lockright install.

gotta have the coffee

Of course autozone wasnt paying attention and sent me the wrong pinion bearing, so that put a damper on my night. I did get the inner axle seals installed though. Those were a breeze with the right tool.
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #298
CRJEeP_wj
2002 WJ 

How much did the aluminum cost you? Did they charge by weight or size?
Unread 08-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #299
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJEeP_wj View Post
How much did the aluminum cost you? Did they charge by weight or size?
A friend of mine runs a fab shop and needed some parts from me for his jeep so we did some trading on the aluminum. But, he originally quoted me 250 for a 40x40 section of 1/2 thick 6061. I'm not really sure which way he figured the price. Although I will say that the piece I got is a he'll of a lot heavier than I expected from aluminum. Once I get the skid fanned up I'm going to weigh it to compare against IRO's t-case skid that I had.
Unread 08-21-2013, 12:09 AM   #300
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Interested to see yours and how much it weighs.

I made mine out of 3/16" plate. It was rejected steel @ .54 a lb. Weighs in just over 50lbs. Still have a couple big chunks left.

Left overs... 24x30 and 60x30 with a chunk missing.

-GCJEEPING's build/mod thread-IT'S A GREEN THING...
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.