Tj's 01 WJ Build thread - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Tj's 01 WJ Build thread

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #271
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Thanks!

Yeah, im only running 33's as of now. Once I finish building my axles and move up to 37's I may go up in ram size. First Ill prolly try it with the 1.5" bore first though since I plan on driving to and from each wheeling trip. I need to keep it as street friendly as possible.

A WJ on 42's, your rig still amazes me.

Unread 06-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #272
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

For what its worth, 37s actually steer nicely without the assist on the street. I can turn them at a stop without issue.

We'll see how they handle of road, I expect I'll wish I had a little more authority. You may not need more than the 1.5 even when you bump up.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #273
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
For what its worth, 37s actually steer nicely without the assist on the street. I can turn them at a stop without issue.

We'll see how they handle of road, I expect I'll wish I had a little more authority. You may not need more than the 1.5 even when you bump up.
Thats good to know. Thanks!

Got the correct box fittings from summit.

If anyone else wants to convert their complete power steering system to accept -6an you need 2 o-ring adapter fittings. The inlet is 11/16-18 o-ring seal (russell part# 648040) and the outlet is 5/8-18 o-ring seal (russel part#648030)

Also got my tube clamp and tabs from Ballistic today. Going to use the tube clamp to mount the ram to the tie rod, along with some of there universal tabs welded to the clamp and to the axle. Also ordered some of their shock tabs for the sterling axle.
Unread 07-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #274
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Well, Im behind schedule because we have been way to busy at work for me to get time off for the dub. Yesterday was the first time I got to work on it since I got it on the rack, so i started the 231HD and clayton install.

Old 242 out

231 waiting to go in

Then, while I had the case out I figured it would be a good time to do some cleaning and get all the muck out from the undercarriage. All clean

As you can see I was starting to get some rust around some of the seems. I know rust is inevitable here in Ohio, but I would like to slow it down as much as possible. I prepped everything, and hit it with a couple coats of rustoleum gloss black rust stopper paint

As I was doing that I got the crossmember bolted together and installed, as well as cleaning the surface rust off all the other brackets, then primed and painted them.

Of course the bottle of my mig welder went empty without me realizing it, and everyone is closed for the holiday today. So I should be burning everything in on friday, granted I get the rear brackets installed today. I shouldnt say "I" am burning them in, my brother is a professional welder, and while im good with a welder, im by no means a professional. So he will be doing all my welding for me. He say's he is going to do a mix of TIG and MIG welding on everything as that will provide the most strength.
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #275
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks really good! Cleaning the undercarriage like that and coating it was a great idea.

Those tube clamps are nice, albeit a little pricey. That's how I mounted my steering stab.

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #276
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Did you swap input shafts? Or do you not need to since its a 4.0?

And for that huge hole in the sye, there is a speed sensor housing that bolts in there, and then the speed sensor bolts to the housing. I found that out the hard way. I can look up the part number if you need.
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #277
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Looks really good! Cleaning the undercarriage like that and coating it was a great idea.

Those tube clamps are nice, albeit a little pricey. That's how I mounted my steering stab.
Thank you sir. I was going to go with the one from poly performance at first. As they make a tube clamp designed specifically for hydro steer. But, it was cheaper to go with the ballistic clamp and tabs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc View Post
Did you swap input shafts? Or do you not need to since its a 4.0?

And for that huge hole in the sye, there is a speed sensor housing that bolts in there, and then the speed sensor bolts to the housing. I found that out the hard way. I can look up the part number if you need.
Yes sir, I swapped input shafts out of another wj 242 that I had torn apart. I have the speed sensor as well, just havent put it in yet. Thank you though.

So Ive got this problem where I just cant allow someone else to work on my jeep. I have the know how to do everyhing I could ever want to it, so I wont let anyone touch it. Half the time I wont even let them help me do something.

With that said, I stole the argon tank off my 140V mig and put it on the 220v. Then started burning my brackets in. For those of you who have done claytons, did you do 2 passes like they say in the instructions, or just 1?

How do my welds look?

Any constructive criticism is appreciated.
Unread 07-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #278
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Dillon and Marc, did you guys just leave the transfer case range sensor un plugged?
Unread 07-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #279
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSWJ View Post
Dillon and Marc, did you guys just leave the transfer case range sensor un plugged?
That would work fine, I just plugged mine with a tube plug and a rubber washer since I didn't have a sensor on hand and the plug was cheaper than a new sensor.

Unread 07-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #280
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Did you run 2 weld passes on the Clayton brackets as well?
Unread 07-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #281
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSWJ View Post
Did you run 2 weld passes on the Clayton brackets as well?
No. That is their way to keep from burning through on the frame rails, run a quick, lower heat weld to build the area up then run more heat on the second pass.

I was able to manage the heat to keep from burning through well enough I didn't need to use their technique. Its hard to tell but I'm thinking I put more heat into mine based on discoloration on the brackets.

I did double pass my trusses though, the tubes are thick on these axles.

Unread 07-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #282
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
No. That is their way to keep from burning through on the frame rails, run a quick, lower heat weld to build the area up then run more heat on the second pass.

I was able to manage the heat to keep from burning through well enough I didn't need to use their technique. Its hard to tell but I'm thinking I put more heat into mine based on discoloration on the brackets.

I did double pass my trusses though, the tubes are thick on these axles.
Good to know. I had no issue with burn through either which was throwing me off. I was just making sure there wasnt something I considering.

brackets painted

My make shift parts sling. Crossmember in primer

New trans mount

New transfer case in. That long hose you see hanging is for the t-case breather. It the other end goes to the top of the trans bell housing, im extending up next to the master cylinder. You can see the brackets are burned in as well.

Also, I decided to check my pinion bearings while everything was out, sure enough the front has some play. New timken pinion bearings and some crush sleeves (yes some as in 2, i never have good luck with crush sleeves) are in route. Ill be doing those along with the inner axle seals and upper axle/control arm bushings.
Unread 07-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #283
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Orrrrr just put the new axles under and save that money for bigger parts.
Unread 07-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #284
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc View Post
Orrrrr just put the new axles under and save that money for bigger parts.
If I had the spare cash I would. But im short the money for gears and lockers as of now. I did pm Greg this morning though about a truss like yours as well as Some upper control arm brackets/mounts. After that I should have all the brackets needed for the swap.
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #285
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

He's wheeling right now. And will be back on Sunday.

I know he wanted to tinker with the part file he used for mine to get it tighter to the center section without having to trim it by hand like he did on mine.

I'll probably be going down there Monday, so I can talk to him if he hasn't looked at his PMs yet.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.