Tj's 01 WJ Build thread - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Tj's 01 WJ Build thread

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 05-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #196
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSWJ View Post
Ive been refunded my money, and will be shipping everything back to phantom. Im considering this matter resolved.

As far as a hydro assist setup goes, I just ordered a bunch of parts and will be making my own. If anyone is interested on how to rebuild, drill and tap you own wj box, stay tuned....
Glad to hear it, thanks Phantom for doing the right thing.

Unread 05-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #197
Bama_WJ
2001 WJ 

Looking forward to the steering box rebuild just in case I have to tear mine apart one day.

Do you remember if the one I got from you had different springs in it to increase the pressure?

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #198
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ View Post
Looking forward to the steering box rebuild just in case I have to tear mine apart one day.

Do you remember if the one I got from you had different springs in it to increase the pressure?
Wouldn't the pressure be determined by the pump and the size of the ports?
Unread 05-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #199
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Its not the box that increases pressure, its the pump. From what I was told, the gear box had the full WTO treatment, full rebuild and tap. As far as doing the WTO pump mod, ill be rebuilding a powersteering pump as well as doing the mod, so stay tuned.

Edit: for what its worth, according to what Ive read, the pumps or wj's came equipped with flow pretty well. The wto mod might not even be necessary, but im going to do it just for the hell of it. Down the road I may throw on an overdrive pulley as well.
Unread 05-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #200
Bama_WJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSWJ View Post
Its not the box that increases pressure, its the pump. From what I was told, the gear box had the full WTO treatment, full rebuild and tap. As far as doing the WTO pump mod, ill be rebuilding a powersteering pump as well as doing the mod, so stay tuned.
I see now. Now that I look back at the article on WTO it is the pump.

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 05-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #201
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Watching to tap the box.

Greg might already know how to do to it, if not, I'll show him this thread. My box is leaking pretty bad. Darn, more of a reason to get a new one and tap it for assist.
Unread 05-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #202
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Fittings came in from Summit Racing today, along with the psc heat sink I got from TOW_HOOK.

Unread 05-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #203
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

I'll add this guy to the good customer service list.

Randomly had just the part I needed and sent it out asap.

Thanks again man.
Unread 05-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #204
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Your welcome man, now tell Greg to get that thing done!
Unread 05-31-2013, 09:21 AM   #205
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Also picked up a DD yesterday. Nothing special, but it runs great aside from a little smoke on startup (valve seals). Im just amazed that I can drive too and from work on less than a 1/4 tank of gas! Now I can park the jeep and start tearing into it and getting this pile of parts installed.

Unread 05-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #206
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Found this thread with info on tapping the factory box if you guys all have Saginaw boxes.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...-box-help.html
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:19 PM   #207
Bama_WJ
2001 WJ 

Ours are different from the regular Saginaw boxes I think. I want to say SaturnICL has some pictures on how to tap a WJ box in this White Whale thread.

Looks like a decent little beater you got there. Sometimes I REALLY wish I got something cheap and not a brand new car for a DD. I'm really hating that $400/mo payment that could be going into finishing the Jeep. I guess that was the young, straight out of college and making good money mental process...

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:48 PM   #208
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Yeah our boxes are a lot different than the saginaw boxes. From what I've read they are the mirror image of toyota boxes.

Overall I'm happy with the toyota. It's got some pretty good dings and a huge scrappy Bondo spot in it, but it's a solid runner and best part is I have next to nothing into it. I was amazed when I was able to put 45 miles on it while it had under 1/4 tank of gas, then I about had a heart attack when 30 bucks filled it up! I'm interested to see what kind of mpg' s I can get out of it, most people are pulling 30+ mpg' s with these cars and over 200k on the odometer.

Got my tap today, now I'm just waiting on the rebuild kit and we can get this show on the road.
Unread 05-31-2013, 11:28 PM   #209
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Have you thought about doing a Saginaw box swap before you put all this work into the factory one TJ? The things are legendary, and mine has been rock solid. It was worlds better than the ZF box the 03-06 wranglers have, and I've heard people compare those to the scout boxes.
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #210
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleNEO View Post
Have you thought about doing a Saginaw box swap before you put all this work into the factory one TJ? The things are legendary, and mine has been rock solid. It was worlds better than the ZF box the 03-06 wranglers have, and I've heard people compare those to the scout boxes.
Its not that easy for us wj guys, our box is a different design. The gains to try and swap in a box like that wouldnt be worth the effort. Our boxes do hold up suprisingly well though, I believe Greg (AgitatedPancake) is running 36's with no assist on a factory box without much issue.

From my understanding our wj box is the mirror image of a toyota steering box. Thats just what I read over on Pirate though, I havent verified that nor figured out which model toyota.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.