Tj's 01 WJ Build thread - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Tj's 01 WJ Build thread

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 05-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #151
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

So I just measured the sterling axle, and the pinion is offset to the passenger side about 2-2 1/4". Does anyone think this will be a potential probelm? I have a single cv rear driveshaft, should I go to double cv? Does the wj rear axle have any offset built into the pinion?

Thoughts.........

TJSWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #152
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSWJ View Post
So I just measured the sterling axle, and the pinion is offset to the passenger side about 2-2 1/4". Does anyone think this will be a potential probelm? I have a single cv rear driveshaft, should I go to double cv? Does the wj rear axle have any offset built into the pinion?

Thoughts.........
Thoughts? My thought is that I know where you can get a government reman 14b with the paint still on the gears and a detroit for $700.

Looking for: Fan shroud, interior 03-06 plastic windshield trim. PM me.
TroubleNEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #153
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Nah, too big of a axle for my plans. Depending on the ratio thats not too bad a deal though, but still to much to make it worth it to me.

Im only into the sterling for about 150- 200 bucks, including the axle, btf truss/diff cover, coil mounts, and disc brake conversion brackets. That 700 would gear it and get me part way to an ARB. Plus it would still be plenty strong for my tires, and have better ground clearance than a stock 14 bolt.

After doing dome reading, the 2" offset isnt a huge deal if you run a cv rear shaft. I found one person on pirate running one in their wj, and I know Greg (AgitatedPancake) is planning on putting one is his other wj, so I dont see it being a problem. Ive already got a cv rear shaft, that will be going in with the long arms and 231hd.
Unread 05-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #154
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Nah, too big of a axle for my plans. Depending on the ratio thats not too bad a deal though, but still to much to make it worth it to me.

Im only into the sterling for about 150- 200 bucks, including the axle, btf truss/diff cover, coil mounts, and disc brake conversion brackets. That 700 would gear it and get me part way to an ARB. Plus it would still be plenty strong for my tires, and have better ground clearance than a stock 14 bolt.

After doing dome reading, the 2" offset isnt a huge deal if you run a cv rear shaft. I found one person on pirate running one in their wj, and I know Greg (AgitatedPancake) is planning on putting one is his other wj, so I dont see it being a problem. Ive already got a cv rear shaft, that will be going in with the long arms and 231hd.
Nice! I would like to do a swap, but I need to aquire a mig and some garage space that I can occupy long term. I think at the same time I do a swap I'll change over to Clayton arms. Maybe I can get them to sell me some arms, or make some since I already have half of the Johnny joints I need. I'm just sick of messing with this Radius setup in the front, it is a serious POS even with the Johnny Joints in it. You'll be shocked when I swing by and you see how bad the axle wrap is. It doesn't even make sense with brand new JJ's that have never been wheeled, new Currie TB and Steering...

Looking for: Fan shroud, interior 03-06 plastic windshield trim. PM me.
TroubleNEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #155
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Yeah, I want to see what you got going on. By the way your describing the symptoms (aside from the wrap) it seems as though you have a caster problem.
Unread 05-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #156
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

I got my hydro assist setup in the mail..... Well, half of. It was re-boxed quite nicely, and inside the nice box were a steering gear box and a couple hydraulic hoses that have big gashes in them down to the steel cord. Also the ram, along with the mounting tabs were completely gone. In their place was instead a little note from USPS saying that my item was damaged during shipping and if I had insurance I need to contact them reguarding the matter.... FML! At least it was insured. But now I get to spend my lunch break batteling it out with the post office.

Unread 05-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #157
adavis39
2002 WJ 

^^^^^^^ sounds like my luck with parts lately. Hopefully they get it worked out for you soon
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...-crap-1399123/

"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #158
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Yeah, I had a hell of a day yesterday. After the assist misshap, I came home to find that my fiancee put a 1/4-5/16 hole through a nearly new MTR'K on my jeep. Worst of all, it happened while parking lot wheeling as she was taking my daughter for a jeep ride.
Unread 05-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #159
CountryRebel60
2008 WK 

sounds like you are havin all kinds of luck
CountryRebel60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #160
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRebel60 View Post
sounds like you are havin all kinds of luck
Brother you dont know the half of it. Its been a hell of a week. This is how my Tuesday went:

Quote:

yesterday,I got my hydro assist setup in the mail..... Well, half of. It was re-boxed quite nicely, and inside the nice box were a steering gear box and a couple hydraulic hoses that have big gashes in them down to the steel cord. Also the ram, along with the mounting tabs were completely gone. In their place was instead a little note from USPS saying that my item was damaged during shipping and if I had insurance I need to contact them reguarding the matter.... FML! At least it was insured. But now I get to spend my lunch break batteling it out with the post office.

After that I locked my self out of work after putting a new wheel bearing in the silverado, had to wait there for someone to come and let me back in.

Since I had the silverado, my fiance was driving the jeep, no big deal right? Well apparently it was, even though the only place she drove it was around my complex because my daughter wanted a jeep ride. I come home to see it sitting with a nice lean to the passenger rear. Look, and sure enough the tire is completely flat! I go up stairs and ask what she did, "nothing, just drove around why?" FML #2! How the hell do you put a 1/4 in whole between the lugs, on a near new MTR'K? Looks like Ill be ordering another one of those next time I have some spare cash. Ive seen patches do wonderful things, but this is a massive hole!

Well, I sure as hell wasnt going to change a flat tire first thing in the morning, so I decide to tackle it tonight. Of course, my 2 year old (who is sick by the way) wanted to help dad, and of course I let her. I went out to change the tire and everything was going great. That is until she decided she wanted to help dad with the jack, and bent down to grab the handle and didnt realize how close her head was to the steal bumper. BONK! My 2 year old changed her first jeep tire today, and now has a goose egg on her forehead to prove it. FML #3

Aside from that, I had to leave work early to take Arhi to the hospital yesterday, she had a 104 temp and was throwing up. Ive spent the last 2 nights sleeping on the floor with her because I have to be there when she starts coughing or she will cry. That in turn has gotten me sick, as well as giving me a hell of a back and neck ache. She also has a hell of a cough, which of course they dont have cough medicine for 2 year olds, so ive been trying to get her to drink honey but she wont.

Hows the boy?
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #161
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

well, so much for that. The post office was no help. The lady wanted to confiscate all the items, including the undamaged gear box without promise of a insurance refund. I told her that if they took the gearbox which is undamaged, then the total replacement value would be above what it was insured for. She says that thats not their fault and it should have been insured properly.

Ive tried to work things out with the seller but now he wants me to ship him the parts I do have back to him at my expense and he will refund my money. I dont see how this is my fault. I paid for an item that I did not recieve. Ive also been the one who had to do all the work by paying to have pictures printed for proof, along with calling west texas to get a estimate on replacement costs, and printing and filling all paperwork with usps. Now I have to re-box it all and ship it back at my cost? Correct me if im wrong please?
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #162
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
well, so much for that. The post office was no help. The lady wanted to confiscate all the items, including the undamaged gear box without promise of a insurance refund. I told her that if they took the gearbox which is undamaged, then the total replacement value would be above what it was insured for. She says that thats not their fault and it should have been insured properly.

Ive tried to work things out with the seller but now he wants me to ship him the parts I do have back to him at my expense and he will refund my money. I dont see how this is my fault. I paid for an item that I did not recieve. Ive also been the one who had to do all the work by paying to have pictures printed for proof, along with calling west texas to get a estimate on replacement costs, and printing and filling all paperwork with usps. Now I have to re-box it all and ship it back at my cost? Correct me if im wrong please?
Replacement value is only is what you paid for the parts and that is what it was insured for. You cant expect to get a full refund at retail value when you paid for used parts. You are forfeiting the insurance to cover your cost and that of the seller for what? Greed? Or, do you expect to recover $6-700 dollars, retail price, for used parts when you paid hald that for parts, shipping and insurance? The gearbox alone with the labor to tap it is worth what you paid for the whole kit, does that make the sale even then? Since, it appears you want replacement at full retail price of a bew kit.

PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #163
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

As crappy as it is, I would just get some new hoses made. To much hassle for what it's worth, IMO.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #164
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ View Post
As crappy as it is, I would just get some new hoses made. To much hassle for what it's worth, IMO.
It seems like the shipping company lost the ram and the tabs too.
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #165
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomWJ View Post
It seems like the shipping company lost the ram and the tabs too.
Oh damn, read over that part. Would definitely be pissed over the missing ram.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.