Tj's 01 WJ Build thread - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Tj's 01 WJ Build thread

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFOX IFP Shocks for 4" Lift TJ/LJ - Special!Jeep Gear & Install Packages!

Unread 05-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #136
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

I'm interested to see the front coilover mounts Greg makes. Are they going through the inner fender?

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #137
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc View Post
That intake will be hi flow. Hahah.

As for the truss, he can make it longer to run down the axle tube. We talked and with the 1/2 inch axle tubes, strength along the tubes shouldn't be a problem. Coil buckets could be easily added to his design to allow that. Along with a passenger side upper for 4 link setup. With my setup, the lower control arm mount on the drivers side has to be welded to the cast.

Coilovers are just a compact setup, that's why you need to get them FOA has reasonable prices and Greg's front and rear upper coilover mounts he made for me are pretty *****in. He can always cut another set for you

Locker too, if its seeing street time, I'd say selectable. I will be mostly trails, but a selectable front will be nice! Arb's would be sweet, but I'm much more comfortable with electrical over air. And they currently don't make an Eaton e locker for a 14 so I went with the grizzly over Detroit. If a shaft breaks, I've read, the shaft will take out the Detroit carrier. That flaw was fixed in the grizzly.
Thanks for the info on the truss, ill have to talk to AP then and just get a complete front axle bracket kit.

I would love to go coilovers! I just dont know how far I want to take the axle swap. At first I was planning a low cost (when talking axle building) build, but its slowly been progressing from there. I might just get the axles in, the swap to coilovers later. I agree though, Gregs mounts are just sick! He is what I aspire to be when it comes to fabricating.

I really want to go selectable for a locker, especially since I might as well do it now while im re-gearing. I was always a fan of the e-locker, but I thought I had read that they have a lot of reliability issues? If I do go the selectable route I would probably go arb, but as of now Im really just undecided which way I want to go. I read the same thing about shafts destroying detroits, but a few of my friends run them and they said they have never had issues with a shaft taking out the carrier. Maybe they just got lucky?
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #138
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

The auburn ect locker is the electric locker with issues.

The Eaton e locker (which I got), I could only find rave reviews about it. People have had them for years without issues.

At first, I had the same idea about building the axles. Low cost, I wasn't even gunna lock the front. But the I got a dd and decided to make this thing a mostly trail rig. So lockers came to mind and it just got more expensive. Ha. My girlfriend at the time actually helped me decide to go coilovers. If I was gunna do it, might as well be unique. I was then just gunna do coilovers in the front and 6.5" inch springs in the rear, but then again went for full coilovers around.
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #139
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ View Post
I'm interested to see the front coilover mounts Greg makes. Are they going through the inner fender?
Yes, through the inner fender. Gotta keep ride height low.
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #140
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
The auburn ect locker is the electric locker with issues.

The Eaton e locker (which I got), I could only find rave reviews about it. People have had them for years without issues.

At first, I had the same idea about building the axles. Low cost, I wasn't even gunna lock the front. But the I got a dd and decided to make this thing a mostly trail rig. So lockers came to mind and it just got more expensive. Ha. My girlfriend at the time actually helped me decide to go coilovers. If I was gunna do it, might as well be unique. I was then just gunna do coilovers in the front and 6.5" inch springs in the rear, but then again went for full coilovers around.
ahh, that must be what I confused it with. Ill have to check out the eaton then. Thanks!
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #141
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSWJ View Post
ahh, that must be what I confused it with. Ill have to check out the eaton then. Thanks!
I'm having problems with the carrier on my Eaton. It doesn't spin true. Greg went to set up the gears and at one spot, the backlash would be perfect. Spin the gears 1/3 and the backlash would be completely tight. Pulled the carrier and spin it on brand new bearings and watched it wobble. Pulled the bearings and spun it on a mock up, still had a wobble. In the process of getting it figured out now.
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #142
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Yes, through the inner fender. Gotta keep ride height low.
Good to know. I plan on doing the same thing with my future coilovers.

I might be in for a set once I see them on your WJ.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #143
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
I'm having problems with the carrier on my Eaton. It doesn't spin true. Greg went to set up the gears and at one spot, the backlash would be perfect. Spin the gears 1/3 and the backlash would be completely tight. Pulled the carrier and spin it on brand new bearings and watched it wobble. Pulled the bearings and spun it on a mock up, still had a wobble. In the process of getting it figured out now.
Ouch, thats not good.
Unread 05-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #144
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Good to know. I plan on doing the same thing with my future coilovers.

I might be in for a set once I see them on your WJ.
Front is tacked in. Look at my build.
Unread 05-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #145
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

little more progress on the porting process. This time I had to get my junk intake to cut into first. The 2 middle ports have these bumps cast into them that protrude a ways into the port. I dont see how that could be good for flow so I wanted to take them out, I was just worried about cutting all the way through. Surprisingly the intake was thicker than I thought and I was able to completely remove the bump. Halfway done! Then comes the polishing!

Unread 05-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #146
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Good looking intake. Interested on how it'll flow and feel with an opened exhaust.
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #147
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Waiting on axle updates.
Here's a small one for ya.

Sold what left of the truck my axle is coming from, so I started pulling it today. The donor truck is a 97 F250 Heritage, 5.8L 4x4

Unread 05-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #148
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Out
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #149
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice. I guess I could have just visited your build thread instead of masking details in the "what did you do to your WJ" thread

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #150
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

lol yes sir, I should probably put my build link in my sig so people dont have to search. You and Marc have me wanting to finish my axles even faster. I just gotta find time to get these damn long arms on! Good news in I should be getting a cheap DD next week, as soon as that happens my pile of parts will be getting installed. Once thats finished, along with some maintenance, then I can really focus on the axles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.