Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Tj's 01 WJ Build thread

70K views 388 replies 35 participants last post by  Bama_WJ 
#1 ·
Well figured I would start my own build thread, seeing as how I have gotten so many ideas of others thread, I figure maybe I can do the same for someone else so here it goes.

Cant find any pictures of when i bought it new, so ill just start with the oldest pics! Right after purchasing it I went to a local off road shop and ordered a 2in bb and some US Wheel D windows

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It stayed that way for a couple of years while I was in college at wyo tech in PA. Then a few months after I graduated the motor started knocking a bit (with only 90000 miles on it) But i just rolled with it seeing as how there was not much i could do. 9000 miles later the #6 wrist pin let go and slammed the piston into the head and locking the motor. After a month or two i was able to afford a BRAND NEW crate motor, so in she went.

Attachments

#3 ·
And again she stayed that way untill recently when we got a 99 wj with a 4in lift as a trade in at our car lot. After that (which was only a few months ago) the jeep bug bit me again! And i apologize for the pics, no digital camera all from my blackberry
The first pic is the "donar jeep"

Attachments

#5 ·
Recently i got bored and decided to bedline the spare tire bucket. Then thanks to gatorayde and JF's classifieds I got a carolina double cardon front d/s.

Attachments

#6 ·
And thats about it for now, plans are for some IRO stage 2 sliders, IRO transfer case skid, roof rack with lights, and a hi-lift. And after i can afford a tube bender new front bumper and a new bumper with swing away tire mount will be added. Just have a few random pics i forgot to throw in.

Attachments

#7 ·
Well its been awhile since i have actually remembered to upload pics to this. So ill just post what all ive done in the past few months. First would be the double cardan front shaft. Then the rear tailgate lighting and accessory outlet.

Attachments

#8 ·
Then today i started installing the tow hooks i got from bama. While having the cover off i sanded and painted the core support and bumper reinforcement. First I primed it with rust inhibitor then I bedlined it. Oh also on my way home without the bumper cover on my wheel liners decided to "self trim"

Attachments

#10 ·
Where did you get those lights for the lift gate and are they 12V?

#11 ·
I got them at home depot, they are made by hampton bay, and they were 30 bucks for the set of 3. Yes they are 12 volt, but they are ment for home interior lighting so they come with a 120V to 12v converter. Just dont use the converter and your good to go. There is a write up on around here somewhere for it. They dont look like they are worth a crap when you turn them on during the day, but at night they are super bright. They come gold, i just took them apart and bedlined them for a sort of rugged look.

#12 ·
I really like it and want to do the same thing or at least something similar. It'd be great for when I'm hitching up the trailer at night. :thumbsup:

#16 ·
well a lot has happened here in the past few months. 1st off i started building a tc skid with some extra 3/16 plate i had laying around the shop. I plan on it covering the tc completely along with the converter. last pic is of my brother who is a professional welder. He will be doing all my welding for me so i dont have to worry about them breaking with only a 110v welder.

Attachments

#17 ·
Then last saturday I got my hands on this, its a 01 limited, 4.7l, d30/d44a, factory tow package, and all options with only 95000miles. I paid a grand for it :D The guy had some shop who didnt know what they were doing repair his trac bar bracket at the diff, needless to say it broke again. Although he didnt realize that the bolt they put in it had snapped, and thats why he sold it so cheap. He just couldnt figure out why it steered so funny. Also the motor knocks a little but im not too worried about it. And yes laugh all you want at the 20" wheels and rubber band tires. Its going to be the wifes winter truck. (after i swap my d30/35 with the d30/44a though of course :teehee:)

Attachments

#18 ·
here is what they did to the track bar bracket. The completely removed the front half, then welded in a plate with a bolt sticking out towards the front of the jeep. after that they slipped the track bar on the bolt and put a nut on the end of that. Leaving the front part of the bushing to freely wobble back and forth, and they wonder why it broke. :dunno: So i started removing all of there crap job, and most of the factory bracket. My plan is before swapping the limiteds diffs into my laredo, finish rebuilding the tb bracket out of 3/16 plate. The first pic is what it looked like when i bought it, you can see their crappy repair job. Then the next couple pics are of all the old bracket i took out.

Attachments

#20 ·
if it blows it blows, the way i look at it i would have paid around 650 for a d30/44a combo from the junk yards around me. Its easier to buy them both for me cause i cant stand setting up gears. Also i can use the pass front door off it, mine is hit pretty good. Also its only needed to get her through the winter untill we take the silverado ss back out. So basically if anything happens to it, its no big deal. I got what i wanted out of it and if it makes it through the winter it will get sold, or sent to the auction.

#23 ·
got 2 of the 3 main tb plates made up and tacked in place last night. Was by myself at the shop or i would have made the front piece too, but i think it will be better with someone else to help me center the tb so i can get the depth of the front plate right before i tack it in.

Attachments

#25 ·
well my internet is down at home so i figred i would do some updates from work, even though i cant upload pictures.

Im sure everyone will be happy to hear i sold the 20's of the wifes limited and bought a set of Silverblade wheels and tires off of an 03 for 200 bucks. It came with a brand new full size spare that hasnt seen pavement as well.

Now on my laredo i have been battling with some death wobble for about a month or so. It would shake at 45-50mph and go away. Checked it out and the front lca bushings at the axle were shot. So i ordered all new bushings from kolak for all the lca's. I replaced the front axle end bushings and drove it home and to my suprise it now shook at 45-50 and at 70 mph. Next day on my lunch break i checked it out and i had a bad tre. So i paid another tech to replace the tre and align it, we also shook down the whole front end again just to be sure that was all that was wrong. Again i drove it home and the shake at 70 is gone but the 45-50 shake is still there. Its really starting to frustrate me.

So far i have replaced: the track bar bushings (kor super duro)
lca bushings axle end (daystars) the frame sides arent bad
all tre's
pass front wheel bearing
balanced the tires
checked the ball joints (all tight)
had an alignment (all within specs)

the only thing i can think of that im obviously doing wrong is running a pitman arm drop at 5". So as soon as i can find a stock pitman arm i will be replacing that and crossing my fingers.

#26 ·
well its been awhile, finally got my computer fixed, and my software repaired so i can upload images again. so time for a small update. Some pics of what my control arm bushings looked like, and the stock pitman arm that i replaced the drop pitman with (DW finally solved!) I also installed some 1" spacers in the rear, im now at 5" of lift in front 4 3/8" in the rear.

I also picked up some RC upper adjustable control arms, and a D44a diff cover cage from Kramer, also some more lower control arm bushings from kolak. This is all going in when i install the d30/d44a varilok diffs sometime in the near future.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.