Tire Shoot Out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Tire Shoot Out

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Tire Shoot Out

Need some input on my next set of tires.

I'm considering a new set of tires, looking at the MTRKs, KM2s and the MTZs.

I'll be sticking with 33s since that's all I really need. All are pretty close in shipped price so cost isn't too much of a factor. I'll be using them mostly for trail riding, rocks and some mud. The occasional snow day in the winter as well.

Leaning towards the MTZs at this point but what are everyone's opinions?

WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Y0ungGunZJ
1993 ZJ 

Dk what terrain you have where you're at but I found in sharp rocks the mtz tread chuncks easier then the km2.

Km2s work really good in the sand. Versus the mtr new and old style.
(o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ---------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
Y0ungGunZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Really depends on what terrain you wheel.

MTRs are more of a rock tire and cake up in the mud more than the BFGs in my experience. No experience with the MTZs.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
squire_wj

Don't mean to sound like an ***, but there are countless threads on tires and even more website on this matter as well. Search before you post
squire_wj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

I personally own km2s and mtr'ks I love my mtrk and hate the km2s. The km2 rides like **** and has paper thin side walls. The mtrk is great they balance great I currently have 0 wheel weights they can also take a beating on the side walls.

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[URL="http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22776-Biggoofy-s-96-ZJ-build!-**Building-axles**"]My Build[/URL]

Need quality parts call Andy at Ironman4x4fab!!!!!
[url]http://ironman4x4fab.com/index.html[/url]
[/CENTER]
biggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
jeep04
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squire_wj View Post
Don't mean to sound like an ***, but there are countless threads on tires and even more website on this matter as well. Search before you post
My apologizes to the OP for the rant.... but come the **** on he has 6,050 posts to your 107 i am sure he is familiar with the search function, I'm so sick of hearing " use the search".... i am sure every issue with a zj,wj or whatever has been gone over once or twice so **** just shut the forum down and keep the search function going just so nobody ask the same freakin question.

I think instead of people posting to use the search function, you should just move the **** on if you don't have something to add, kinda like i should have done instead of writing this.

Sorry WhiteOut, good luck with whichever tire you choose.
04 Jeep wj Limited 4.7 <> 6.5" Iron Rock long arms front & Adjustable lowers on rear <> Bilstein 5100's <> 285/70r17 Goodyear Duratracs <> M/T black classic lock wheels <> Addco swaybars <> Superchips 3875 <> Magnaflow Stainless exhaust <> 2 Kicker comp 12's <> Kenwood head unit.
jeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

No, its fine. I was just looking for some personal experiences since the only ones I have run are the KM2s.
Unread 04-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
jeep04
2004 WJ 

I think the Mtr K's look like a mean *** tire, i cannot speak for any of these tires but would rather have any of them compared to the oops i made when buying 33 inch Bfg Rugged Terrains just a couple months ago and trying to get rid of already.
04 Jeep wj Limited 4.7 <> 6.5" Iron Rock long arms front & Adjustable lowers on rear <> Bilstein 5100's <> 285/70r17 Goodyear Duratracs <> M/T black classic lock wheels <> Addco swaybars <> Superchips 3875 <> Magnaflow Stainless exhaust <> 2 Kicker comp 12's <> Kenwood head unit.
jeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I'm downgrading from 35s.

I dont have to use the Jeep as a DD anymore and dont wheel too often since Im busy with work. That and 33s with a locker will go everywhere I need it.
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Any reason youre not getting duratracs again? Just want to try a new tire?
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

The Duratracs were mostly for winter, when I got them I thought I was going to be using the Jeep more as a daily driver. I picked up my truck in December and now the Jeep can be a toy and a vehicle for really bad weather.

Since it will be a trail rig, I want a more aggressive tire in a more manageable size, locked 33s will go everywhere I need it to. The sale of the Duratracs is going to completely pay for the new tires, so its a zero sum change really.
Unread 04-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #12
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Decided on the MTR/K, 5 shipped from Tire Rack is going to be $1,240 and they have an $80 rebate going on.
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #13
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

I would have gotten 4, and found the spare in Craigslist. That's a lotta greenbacks!

Those are the tires I want too but in 35" flavor.

Are the MTRs supposed to run small or true to size?
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug View Post
I would have gotten 4, and found the spare in Craigslist. That's a lotta greenbacks!

Those are the tires I want too but in 35" flavor.

Are the MTRs supposed to run small or true to size?
My 37s are about a 1/4" small

But that's what their specs state too. I think they say 36.8 for 37 and 34.8 for 35s of the 17" wheel variety.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #15
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

33" MTR/K will run 32.8", same as the KM2s

With a 5 tire rotation I should see a longer tread life. 4 would have been about $1000, so it's a 20% increase in price but I'll have a fullsize spare that I'll always be able to use with the 249 and 5 identical rims. I'm keeping mine since it is still in good condition and I'm only locking the rear when the 8.8 goes in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.