Think Twice Garage's Project TPFB - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Think Twice Garage's Project TPFB

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 12-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #91
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Nice score on the tires and wheels. I had a set of Trxus once, the first set of MT's I ever owned, and loved them!

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #92
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedWJ View Post
Nice score on the tires and wheels. I had a set of Trxus once, the first set of MT's I ever owned, and loved them!
I've heard good things about them, and I've been very pleased with the other Interco tires I've run. I ran 33" and 36" TSL's, which set the bar high, so hopefully these don't disappoint.

Got some stuff done tonight, starting with cleaning up the disaster in the garage after the weekend. Then I stripped the control arms off of the 8.8, which wasn't as easy as it should have been. None of the bolts were anti-seized before they were installed, so I ended up pounding them out with a 10lb sledge, or cutting them. Only one came out and is still usable, the others were trashed. I'm hoping the one that's still seized in the lower comes out with my air hammer at work, otherwise I'll have to do some delicate torch surgery. Here's a few random pictures to keep your attention.

Hover jeep status.

D300 I picked up on Saturday. It needs a bath pretty bad...

Quadratec should have the bushings and races to me by the weekend, so I'm hoping to have the rear end sitting on tires by Saturday night. That leaves me a week to prep all the front control arms and then hopefully I can get it on all four wheels christmas weekend.
99XJ 4.0/AW4/HP30/8.25 build coming soon...
www.undergroundjeeps.net
CTeunuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 07:06 PM   #93
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Last night I started stripping the rear control arms at work, and it ended up being a major PITA. I've never had that much trouble driving rubber bushings out, usually 5-10 minutes with an air hammer and their done, but I ended up having to use the 50ton press to drive the rubber/sleeve out, then cut the bushing with a die-grinder before it would budge. It took me almost an hour just to do the LCA's. On a good note, my Quadratec order came in today, so I got a jump start on putting everthing back together. One LCA is complete, the other one would be if I hadn't accidentally trashed the washer/snap ring for the JJ. Both upper JJ's are done, I just need to do the rubber bushings and they're ready to be installed. I'm hoping to finish those up tomorrow night, then get the axle in Saturday.

My cat approves of this shipment.
www.undergroundjeeps.net
Unread 12-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #94
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Well, you know, all trouble aside, if your cat approves...it must be a good thing.

Best of luck, man. It sounds like a heck of a time, and not in a good way. But you'll feel great once it's all done.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #95
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

I remember getting my old bushings out one time, it wasnt easy for some reason. I think I actually ended up getting JY ones one time..

I speak for everyone that you are fortunate to have a set of wheels like those. Its going to look really nice when done!

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2011, 12:15 AM   #96
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Nice man I just picked up an 8.8 and I am pretty sure it has LSD, haven't opened it but everyone tells me to stay away from LSD but it's either that or open. So if I arrange my friction disks like yours, it will act more like a functioning LSD?
Unread 12-16-2011, 06:17 AM   #97
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
Nice man I just picked up an 8.8 and I am pretty sure it has LSD, haven't opened it but everyone tells me to stay away from LSD but it's either that or open. So if I arrange my friction disks like yours, it will act more like a functioning LSD?
Double pack makes it act more like a locker and less like an LSD. You want to check the clutches though, obviously doing the double pack is not going to do much if they're toast.
Unread 12-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #98
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
So if I arrange my friction disks like yours, it will act more like a functioning LSD?
Yes, see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
Double pack makes it act more like a locker and less like an LSD.
Sort of. It won't make it act like a locker, it will just help your bias ratio. In a clutch type LSD the spring applies pressure to both side gears, and the clutches create resistance. That way when you have one tire in the air, or with less traction, all the power doesn't get sent to that tire because you're basically 'tricking' the spiders into thinking that tire has resistance against it. It's hard to explain without being able to show you, but you understand how an open diff works, right? Have a friend hold one tire, then spin the other side and watch what the spiders do, then try doing the same thing in an LSD and it will pretty much explain itself. Short answer, yes arranging the clutches as pictured will help get you better traction. So will friction modifier added to the gear oil, you should be able to get it at any parts store. Have fun getting that spring back in, haha.
www.undergroundjeeps.net
Unread 12-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #99
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Haha yeah my dad's got an LSD in his 3/4 ton dodge with the clutches and for a little bit of $$$ off rent, I changed his diff oil and kind of took a look at how the LSD worked. Not sure if the 8.8 is that similar but it seemed pretty easy to figure out but I know it's a ***** to put in haha.

Thanks man
Unread 12-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #100
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Got the rear end on it's own weight again tonight with some help from the Squash. The lowers are all set and in, one upper is in for now until I figure out the pinion angle, then I'll set them both. I really just want to see how it would look. Here's a few quick pictures, not the best because the garage is cramped but you get the idea.

www.undergroundjeeps.net
Unread 12-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #101
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Got the front control arms rebuilt tonight, so the front end is ready to go in tomorrow. I think Squash is coming up, so we should be able to get the tongue-puncher sitting on all four turhs again. Then I'll just have little **** like brake lines and rear pinion angle to dial in. I wanted to get the Prothane bumps in now, but I'll get to those later.
www.undergroundjeeps.net
Unread 12-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #102
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Baller status=achieved.

www.undergroundjeeps.net
Unread 12-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #103
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

damn that thing is looking good man!
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 09:10 PM   #104
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Those rims and tires = Tig ol' bitties.
Unread 12-21-2011, 10:33 PM   #105
Irish_Assassin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nice
COLORADO JEEP CLUB #133
www.militaryjeepers.com
Irish_Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.