Think Twice Garage's Project TPFB - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Think Twice Garage's Project TPFB

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #76
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
I love red laredos.. I want mine back now. Anxious to see this build!
Thanks. Your WJ is coming along nicely, I was never a big fan of them until yours.

99XJ 4.0/AW4/HP30/8.25 build coming soon...
www.undergroundjeeps.net
CTeunuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #77
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Made some progress tonight in the garage. I started by cleaning up the mess from the past few jobs so I could have some benches to work on, then I stripped the LS carrier. I'm going to bring it to work tomorrow so I can use the parts washer to give it a good cleaning, then reassemble it with the friction discs together to get a little more oomph out of it. All my stuff is here from ECGS too, so the only things left to buy are a press and a bearing splitter, and I just found out a Harbor Freight opened in the next town over. Here's some pictures just to whore it up.

Stripped carrier and all it's guts.

This is the clutch pack that sits behind the side gears in a LS carrier. The discs with the tabs on them are the friction discs, which are made up of an abrasive material that causes the resistance needed to make both side gears turn, causing both tires to turn. By putting these three together in the middle of the pack it will allow for less slippage, and more traction.

And the rebuild kit from ECGS, hopefully I only need one crush sleeve.....
www.undergroundjeeps.net
Unread 11-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #78
Mudzilla6661
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

nice build so far man, can't wait to see more of it!

2010 jk islander aka Mudzilla 2.5 AEV lift 35" kevlars, PSC front and rear bumpers Q10000 winch. More to come!
Mudzilla6661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #79
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

I'm rather curious about where this LS came. It's interesting. I like the idea of an LSD.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #80
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
I'm rather curious about where this LS came. It's interesting. I like the idea of an LSD.
Not sure exactly what you mean...? This is a factory Ford LS carrier I got from Squash after he upgraded to a Detroit.
www.undergroundjeeps.net
Unread 11-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #81
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTeunuch View Post
Not sure exactly what you mean...? This is a factory Ford LS carrier I got from Squash after he upgraded to a Detroit.
I missed that entire piece of info though. LOL Night time posting when to tired to think is never a good thing. I've been working too many hours lately. I was going to say this looks a far cry better than the trac-loc in 44a's. So that's why I was curious.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #82
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Didn't get the 8.8 done this weekend because I couldn't get my hands on a beam in/lbs torque wrench. Luckily someone at work has one, so I'll be digging into that tomorrow night.

In other news there's some big thangs poppin'. I'm looking at buying Squashman's ZJ, stealing the axles/suspension, then selling it on my current axle/suspension setup to recoup some money. This will buy me some time to decide what type of longarms I want to run, and whether I'll buy them or build them. I'll be running some 285/70R17 Courser AT's, which have impressed me in the past on other peoples rigs, and happen to be free. Also, I'll finally be picking up a D300 this weekend, which I'll be rebuilding and upgrading over the winter. I'm planning a LoMax 4:1, NWF flip kit and cable shifters, and of course twin sticks. Should be some good progress soon....
www.undergroundjeeps.net
Unread 11-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #83
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I finally rebuilt the 8.8 yesterday/today after buying an in/lbs wrench off of amazon made by ParkTool. Since I'm going to be running Squash's axles within a month I skipped the L/S install and stayed with the open carrier to save a few steps. It looked to me like it had been rebuilt before because both carrier bearings and the outer pinion bearing were Timken, but the inner pinion bearing was a Koyo. Who knows why they did that, but I shimmed everything back to where it was when I started and all in all I'm happy with how it turned out, though I wish the contact pattern was a little better. Here's a few pictures.

Drive, it's close to the root, but my backlash was right at .010" and I didn't feel like shuffling everything around to center it.

Coast, kind of hard to see, but it's solid, centered contact slightly closer to the toe.

I'm planning on swapping my current axles/suspension into Squash's ZJ next weekend, then DD-ing that while I rebuild all the RE control arms that are clunking around before I swap them into mine. I'll be running 4.5" RE coils up front, and stock front coils out back for a little reverse rake, with Bilstein 5125's all around on BPE's, adding in some Prothane progressive bumps and his HP30/8.8 with 4.10's and a Detroit out back. I'll roll around on his JK Moabs until I can get some 17" MT Classic II's to mount my Courser's on, then in the spring I'll rebuild the HP30 and throw in my ARB from the Elephant. I'm hoping this will all add up to a very capable, and at the same time very comfortable DD/wheeler.
www.undergroundjeeps.net
Unread 12-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #84
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I didn't get to do any Jeep work this weekend due to forced OT at work, but I did get another set of tires today. I feel like a broad with shoes because of how many times I've changed the wheel/tire combo since the start of the build, oh well. I picked up a set of 5 17x8.5 AEV Pintlers wrapped in 33x12.5 TRXUS MT's with decent tread. I've wanted these wheels for a long time, and this was a great deal I couldn't pass up, plus when these tires are shot I can mount my Courser's. The PO painted the center caps black, so I'll have to order some baller yellow AEV one from Quadratec, and they're a little scratched up but I'm not too worried about it. Anyway, picture time.

www.undergroundjeeps.net
Unread 12-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #85
Erbo1Kanerbo
2008 JK Wrangler 

you are one lucky sob I lovethe look of those wheels. ive always wanted a set but they are just way too much $$$

ZJ's: If you dont know what it is you cant afford it.
Erbo1Kanerbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #86
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

They look better here than in the pictures you sent me. Good pickup.
Unread 12-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #87
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
They look better here than in the pictures you sent me. Good pickup.
Eh, they're kinda rough, but I figured **** it I'm going to scratch them up anyway, now I just don't have to feel bad about it. If the tires had been junk I wouldn't have paid as much, but I should get at least a year out of them. You coming up next weekend fo sho? Miss you

EDIT: I just checked Quadratec, and the yellow center caps are $15 each, not $7 like the silver or black ones. I guess I won't be ordering those right now...
www.undergroundjeeps.net
Unread 12-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #88
RedneckZJ
1996 ZJ 

re paint em gunmetal and theyll be good as new
You drive a tj, we drive a zj. We have more power while you get more shower. We get the v8 while you get there too late. You have 2 doors well, we have 2 more. Ours costs a grand while yours has a price we cant stand.
RedneckZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #89
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Started the axle/suspension swap after work today with help from Squash. I was hoping to have my ZJ set up and ready for Monday morning, but after removing the control arms from Squash's ZJ we found that all the joints/bushings are junk. I was planning to go through them one by one as I DD it, but instead I just dropped $200 on rebuild kits for every joint and I' do it all at once before I start driving it. Looks like I'll be driving the green ZJ a little while longer....
www.undergroundjeeps.net
Unread 12-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #90
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

List of to-do's before I drive it again:
-Rebuild control arms/trackbars
-Change gear oil in 8.8/swap cover
-Wheel seals in 8.8
-Rebuild E-brakes
-Delete ABS/Install adj. prop. valve?
-Install SS extended brake lines up front
-Front pads
-Figure out rear bumpstops
-Install axles/suspension

Hoping to be ridin' dirty by the end of the year.
www.undergroundjeeps.net

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.