Think Twice Garage's Project TPFB - Page 25 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Think Twice Garage's Project TPFB

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 01-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #361
PurpleZJ
1996 ZJ 

Did you make any plates or such stuff to "hold down" the prothanes like in the linked threads or are they just free floating

1996 ZJ- 4.0, [COLOR="Purple"]AX-15 5SPD/NP242[/COLOR], RE 4.5" lift, 36x12.50x16.5 Goodyear military surplus tires, Longarms/Tri-4 link/one ton axle build/swap in progress, arb bumper, a bunch of other goodies
1995 XJ- 4.0 HO, ax-15(stolen for swap), stock
2001 GMC Sonoma-RIP...
2002 GMC Sierra 1500 ECSB-roadtrip/long haul vehicle
[CENTER][COLOR="Blue"]RIP Troy (bigbluezj94) you wont be forgotten[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Purple"]December 2010 GCOTM[/COLOR]

5spd ZJ Club Member 001
[/CENTER]

[QUOTE=bddisi;6376248]Glad you are ok. If you were a cat, you would be down to 8.:D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Greengc4x4;10782815]Everything looks great, Hellen Keller! :D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=rritch;10960201]plastic + Fuel + Ignition = "Bubba wake up this is gonna be good" :rofl:[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Purple"]RIP William Anthony Kolich(DAD)
you were the best father i could have wished for. I'll always miss you
04/28/58-2/13/11[/COLOR][/CENTER]
PurpleZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #362
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleZJ View Post
Did you make any plates or such stuff to "hold down" the prothanes like in the linked threads or are they just free floating
You don't want to hold them down at the base, it will cause them to bind up in the coils when they compress. I do run striker plates at the top, that Dave whipped up. They're made of a piece of pipe that fits snugly inside the Prothane, and is ~1.5-2" long, with a ~3" round piece of 3/16" plate welded on top. I still run some factory style rubber bumpstops up top too, which keeps the noise down.
99XJ 4.0/AW4/HP30/8.25 build coming soon...
www.undergroundjeeps.net
CTeunuch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #363
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTeunuch View Post
Anyone know what these mean?

Race Jeep. I only meant to order the two for the front, but apparently 'one' on the Jegs website means one pair, not one individual insert. Oh well, now I have the two for the rear as well. At least I didn't order four, haha...
Sorry for my stupidity, but please explain prothanes to me. I know they are go-fast items, but do you have any pics of them on your ZJ?
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #364
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

They're a progressive bumpstop that sit inside the coil.
Unread 01-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #365
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
Sorry for my stupidity, but please explain prothanes to me. I know they are go-fast items, but do you have any pics of them on your ZJ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
They're a progressive bumpstop that sit inside the coil.
Dave nailed it. They're just a cheap way to get the Jeep to pretend to be a racecar. IMO, they're worth every penny, they're easy to install and make a big difference. They're a lot stiffer than I had thought they would be, but that ended up working fine as they keep my tires out of the fenders, for the most part. Here's what they look like in the coil.

www.undergroundjeeps.net
Unread 01-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #366
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Post results! I am curious how well they work
Unread 01-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #367
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
Post results! I am curious how well they work
You mean like these posts from the last page? hahaha

Quote:
Awesome, well worth the money. I was flogging on it pretty good on Saturday, and it soaked it up no problem. I've driven Jeeps fast in the dirt before, and it sucked, you bounce around, every hit is rough, it's no fun. With these in I really enjoyed it, it's not like riding on a cloud, but nice shocks and the Prothanes made a HUGE difference. The Jeep was a lot easier to control too. I can't wait to get the rears in, and get on it again. Dave rode in it, and drove it too, I'll let him share his thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
I would agree. Not super smooth but a significant improvement over stock/relocated stock bumpstops.
www.undergroundjeeps.net
Unread 01-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #368
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Cool. Now, how do they work when I'm not playing racecar in my seXJ? I guess I mean, how much do they compress and how would I need to set them up for just regular wheeling? I've jumped my XJ a good bit, but this was with the extended factory upper stops and a hockey puck at the bottom. It works, but it isn't that soft of a landing
Unread 01-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #369
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Cool. Now, how do they work when I'm not playing racecar in my seXJ? I guess I mean, how much do they compress and how would I need to set them up for just regular wheeling? I've jumped my XJ a good bit, but this was with the extended factory upper stops and a hockey puck at the bottom. It works, but it isn't that soft of a landing
There's a thread on NAXJA in the Jeepspeed section about them, most people tend to run a 1-2" airgap from the upper bumpstop to the Prothane. I have just under 2" gap on mine, and in that picture they are stopping the axle's uptravel. They compress more on hard hits, but not enough to cause issues. I'm thinking of drilling some holes in the upper 2 ring gaps to soften them up and gain back that uptravel while I'm crawling.

I jumped my old XJ a few times, with no bumpstops, and the tires hit the inner fenders so hard it blew the hood open. That was a little uncomfortable haha. I'm excited to see how the ZJ does with nice shocks and actual bumpstops.
www.undergroundjeeps.net
Unread 01-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #370
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
There's a thread on NAXJA in the Jeepspeed section about them, most people tend to run a 1-2" airgap from the upper bumpstop to the Prothane. I have just under 2" gap on mine, and in that picture they are stopping the axle's uptravel. They compress more on hard hits, but not enough to cause issues. I'm thinking of drilling some holes in the upper 2 ring gaps to soften them up and gain back that uptravel while I'm crawling.

I jumped my old XJ a few times, with no bumpstops, and the tires hit the inner fenders so hard it blew the hood open. That was a little uncomfortable haha. I'm excited to see how the ZJ does with nice shocks and actual bumpstops.
Cool, I'm going to look into some. I like sky driving the XJ too much to not have some. But my non trussed Dana 30 probably doesn't .!..!.
Unread 01-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #371
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Cool, I'm going to look into some. I like sky driving the XJ too much to not have some. But my non trussed Dana 30 probably doesn't .!..!.
Yeah, I'd beef that turdy up, especially the knuckles, that's where mine bent.

Aussie got hur yesterday, the dog approves.
www.undergroundjeeps.net
Unread 01-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #372
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

****ed the Jeep up last night, tore open the unibody at the trackbar mount. I think it started a few weeks ago when I bent the other bracket, and finally gave up the ghost last night. I'm pretty sure it's my own fault too, because I removed that "L" bracket that the factory bolts attach to when the nut broke off inside the unibody. You'll see it in the pictures.

I towed the ZJ home today with my aunt's F350, and I was pleasantly surprised with how well it did, especially considering it only has the 5.4. It did 65-70MPH up all the hills without any drama, never got hot, and was super stable. It definitely wasn't a racecar with ~5-6k behind it, but it wasn't a slouch either.

Here's the damage, it's worse than I thought, but I think it's fixable.

I'm going to clean the garage with Dave tomorrow and pull it in to check it out. I totally destroyed the ARB too, so I'm not going to try to straighten and tuck it like I was planning. I figure if I do end up trying to fix this mess I'll pull the front clip off, pull the radiator, steering box, etc and plate the whole area then build a trackbar/steering box brace and a new front crossmember/bumper at the same time. I really didn't want to get into this right now, as I have a few runs coming up and I'm kind of sick of working on it, but I don't have much of a choice at this point.
www.undergroundjeeps.net
Unread 01-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #373
PurpleZJ
1996 ZJ 

Damn dude. That's sucks but atleast it looks like a relatively "simple" fix or strait forward fix. Pics of the arb?
1996 ZJ- 4.0, [COLOR="Purple"]AX-15 5SPD/NP242[/COLOR], RE 4.5" lift, 36x12.50x16.5 Goodyear military surplus tires, Longarms/Tri-4 link/one ton axle build/swap in progress, arb bumper, a bunch of other goodies
1995 XJ- 4.0 HO, ax-15(stolen for swap), stock
2001 GMC Sonoma-RIP...
2002 GMC Sierra 1500 ECSB-roadtrip/long haul vehicle
[CENTER][COLOR="Blue"]RIP Troy (bigbluezj94) you wont be forgotten[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Purple"]December 2010 GCOTM[/COLOR]

5spd ZJ Club Member 001
[/CENTER]

[QUOTE=bddisi;6376248]Glad you are ok. If you were a cat, you would be down to 8.:D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Greengc4x4;10782815]Everything looks great, Hellen Keller! :D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=rritch;10960201]plastic + Fuel + Ignition = "Bubba wake up this is gonna be good" :rofl:[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Purple"]RIP William Anthony Kolich(DAD)
you were the best father i could have wished for. I'll always miss you
04/28/58-2/13/11[/COLOR][/CENTER]
PurpleZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #374
Spike300
1993 ZJ 

yea heat the are up beat it back and plate it all up nice

5.2-242 tcase-44a-30x9.50x15 MT/R-American Racing Burst Rims -[COLOR="Red"]Optima[/COLOR] -E3 plugs-[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Cu[/COLOR]st[COLOR="DarkGreen"]om[/COLOR] Pa[COLOR="DarkGreen"]in[/COLOR]t-Amsoil-Addco Front and Rear-polyurethane bushings

[B]To be installed[/B]: RE gen2 discos, military battery terminals
[B]To be rebuilt:[/B] HP30
[B]To be received:[/B]
[B]To be paid for:[/B]

[B]Next on the list:[/B] complete redo of brakes and
lines
[B]Needed:[/B] fittings, coil of brake tubing, Russel speed bleeders

Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #75
Spike300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #375
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleZJ View Post
Damn dude. That's sucks but atleast it looks like a relatively "simple" fix or strait forward fix. Pics of the arb?
Ehhhh, I don't think it will be easy, but it shouldn't be terrible. The worst part is access, but I'll just strip as much out as I can to get in there. A long piece of 4"x.120 angle iron 'wrapping' the torn area, then a piece of 2 or 3"x.25 facing the other way, properly braced up, and drilled for the trackbar bracket should do the trick. Then I'll brace the bracket and the box over to the other side, after I plate that area too. Fun fun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike300 View Post
yea heat the are up beat it back and plate it all up nice
It's thin metal, so there shouldn't be too much heat needed, and hopefully some artful clamping will keep from from having to do too much beating. We'll see.
www.undergroundjeeps.net

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.