thecause17's '04 Columbia Edition - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > thecause17's '04 Columbia Edition

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thi

Unread 07-21-2015, 10:23 AM   #1
thecause17

2004 WJ 

thecause17's '04 Columbia Edition

I wouldn't really call this a "build" thread per say, as I don't plan to do anything extreme, although it is getting a lift, etc...so I figured I'd start a thread to keep track of my progress.

I bought it back in March. It's an '04 Columbia Edition. 4.7L HO with factory tow package, fairly well optioned. Bought it was 103k miles, and it's currently at just under 106k.

Unread 07-21-2015, 10:27 AM   #2
thecause17

2004 WJ 

First order of business was to replace the stereo. It came with the factory Infinity stereo and CD changer. The CD changer was missing the cartridge, and before I would pay for a new cartridge, I decided to just tear it all out and put something in that I could stream music from my phone with via Bluetooth.

Also replaced the heater controls. One bulb was burned out and someone had accidentally put a hole in the face of it near one of the knobs.

Gave the interior a good cleaning and ordered some weathertech mats. For some reason there were Dodge embroidered mats in it.

Changed the fluid in both diffs as well as the t-case. I think I'm just going to the dealer to get the transmission done.
Unread 07-21-2015, 10:56 AM   #3
thecause17

2004 WJ 

Hit the headlights with a restoration kit I had laying around. The passenger side is done in the pic and the driver's side is not. The driver's side light turned out ok, but the bottom part of the lens isn't as nice. There is a small crack in it, so I think much of the cloudiness is on the inside, so I will most likely just replace it.
Unread 07-21-2015, 11:09 AM   #4
thecause17

2004 WJ 

IRO coils came in today. I went with a 2" coil. Like I said, I don't plan on anything extreme, especially since I recently promoted the Jeep to DD status. Kolak says they usually get about 2 1/4" and I also will be replacing all 8 isolators as well. They will be paired with Bilstein 5100's.

Also have these on the way. I will decide on a tire once the lift is on and I can take some measurements.
Unread 07-21-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
thecause17

2004 WJ 

Starting on the lift last night. The rear went smoothly without any issues.

Moved up to do the front. I disconnected the front end links and then went to loosen all the lugs before I jacked it up. When I got to the passenger front wheel they were ridiculously tight. I broke them all loose except one, on which the outer chrome cracked and came off. I matched it up with another socket and ended up rounding it off. As it turns out, it was cross threaded by whoever took the wheel off last. Since the front brakes were new when I got it, I suspect it was the dealership I purchased it from. It was 11pm and I had one cutoff wheel for my dremel, which I promptly broke. I decided to try my luck in an attempt to split it with chisels to no avail. So the lift didn't get done.

I went this morning and got some more cutoff wheels and proper chisels. I'm hoping to cut a deep enough groove so that I can finally split it off of the stud tonight. If that doesn't work I'm going to have to take it somewhere. I'm trying to be as careful as possible to not damage the wheel. I'll also have a stud to replace now as well. When will people learn to screw lugs on a few threads before you spin it on with an impact gun.
Unread 07-21-2015, 03:06 PM   #6
Hitman-JB
2001 WJ 

Looking nice so far.
Hitman-JB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2015, 06:57 PM   #7
MoonyJohn
Blow on my Avatar

2004 WJ 

Looks good man! Sucks about the lug nut, I had a set of cheap lock lug nuts on mine and went to take it off and the socket stripped and also stripped out the actual lug nut. Most frustrating thing to deal with lug nut issues..
Unread 07-21-2015, 07:28 PM   #8
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Linkin Park fan, huh?

That sucks about your lug nut. Something so small and such an easy thing to take off completely holding you up like that. I finally got rid of the factory crap lug nuts recently.
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2015, 10:30 PM   #9
thecause17

2004 WJ 

Yep, have always been a Linkin Park fan.

I finally came to terms tonight that there was no way around ruining the wheel to get it off, so I went ahead with surgery.

I did try some more to split the lug with no luck, so I had enough and decided to remove the center bit from my hole saw arbor and throw on a hole saw and run it through the wheel. Then I could get the wheel off and have the room to get at the stud.

After that, what remained on the stud was remnants of the lug and part of the wheel.

I then split this and relieved the pressure that the metal from the wheel had on the lug. They separated from each other and I was able to unscrew the lug, and slide the aluminum right off.

Pic of the wheel back on (for now).

I'm really disappointed that I had to ruin one of the wheels as I did plan to sell them once I mounted tires on the JK wheels. Now I'll only have 3 wheels that are good to sell. I also cut in to the rotor ever so slightly, so I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and replace the front rotors now too while I'm just throwing money at the Jeep.

Anyways, with that taken care of I went ahead and installed the lift on the front. When I removed the front springs, my perches basically fell apart, so I'm going to have to figure out how I'm going to repair that. As clean as the rest of the jeep is, and having no problems on the rear perches, I didn't expect to see that up front.

I'll get some better pics tomorrow of the lift. Here are my initial measurements.

Before the lift(half tank of gas):

Front - 18 1/8"
Rear - 18 3/8"

After lift(half tank of gas):

Front - 20 1/2"
Rear 21 1/2"

Total lift of 2 3/8" in front and 3 1/8" in the rear.

I'll check it again in about a week so see how it has settled.
Unread 07-21-2015, 11:23 PM   #10
MoonyJohn
Blow on my Avatar

2004 WJ 

Looks good!
Unread 07-22-2015, 06:32 AM   #11
thecause17

2004 WJ 

Thanks, took a couple pics thismorning.

Haven't decided yet if I'm going to go ahead and mount bigger tires on the JK wheels or just mount my existing ones for now since they're nearly new.
Unread 07-22-2015, 06:58 AM   #12
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Looks great. Go with the bigger tires. You can sell your stock tires to make up sober of the additional cost. I want happy until I put bigger tires on my WJ.
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2015, 07:19 AM   #13
thecause17

2004 WJ 

Yeah, you're probably right.

I ordered IRO's spring perch repair parts today. Hopefully I can get that installed in the next week. Luckily my father-in-law can weld, so I'm hoping to knock it out in a morning if I take everything apart and just have him weld them on.
Unread 07-22-2015, 10:23 AM   #14
grandboost98
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Clean looking Jeep! Basically the same direction Im going with mine

I also vote bigger tires. I plan on getting 245/75/17 ATs after I install a budget boost

And did your WJ come with a matching spare? Could always throw that on and use the damaged one for the spare
72 Chevy Nova-in progress
http://tiny.cc/BRASSBALLSOFFROAD
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #15
thecause17

2004 WJ 

I don't have a matching spare. It would've originally came with a full size steel spare, but a PO replaced it with a 17" Avila for some reason. I have 5 JK wheels that will be here Friday so they're all getting replaced anyway. I'll probably sell the 3 remaining wheels and the spare on ebay as singles, maybe make something like a stool or something out of the damaged one.

I'm thinking 255/65/17 for the new tires. I'm hoping I can make that work in the spare tire well. If not, I guess it's getting strapped down in the cargo area.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.