Synthetic v. Cable Winch Line - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Synthetic v. Cable Winch Line

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
fosterjd79
2004 WJ 

Synthetic v. Cable Winch Line

How much is weight changed by going from cable to synthetic on an 8000lb winch?

fosterjd79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

You drop about 8 lbs going synthetic.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
GRAND_WJ
2001 WJ 

It's more the safety aspect of the dynema rope compared to the steel cable ...

As the recoil is next to nothing, when it breaks it just drops down...compared to steel cable the recoil is masssive, we have had one break and smash the window on a 4x4 before..not pretty.

Cheers
'01 WJ Limited, 4.7v8 QT2, VSI LPG, snorkle, 8" lift, HD tie rod, HD crossmember, tom woods custom double/double drive shafts, LA front/rear, bilsteins, 35 12.5 hankook muddies on 17x9 MT sidebiters, ARB frontbar, 12000 pound winch, full recovery bag, on board air, XXX 220 spot lights, rola roof rack and Notch custom flares (Iceland flares) ...
GRAND_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND_WJ View Post

As the recoil is next to nothing, when it breaks it just drops down...compared to steel cable the recoil is masssive, we have had one break and smash the window on a 4x4 before..not pretty.

Cheers
When loaded to breaking strength and exceeded, both steel cable and common fibers used for synthetic winch lines recoil at about the same speed or close enough that you can't tell. The main difference is the mass of the line. Lower mass of the synthetics mean it's less likely to cause major damage, probably won't kill you, but you wouldn't want to be in the line of fire.
Unread 05-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND_WJ View Post

Cheers
Been there done that... Steel cable broke and smashed the back window of my Dad's Blazer. I thought I was going to find his head on the floor when I ran up. Luckily he was ok.
In the works: H&Rs, Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Does no one here put weights on their cables when winching? Figured that was common safety knowledge...
mycreativename is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
Planetcat
2004 WJ 

I could have sworn the weight difference between my steel and my synth rope was closer to 20 lbs or more. But it was 5/16" steel at 125' vs. 100 ft. of synthetic. The steel cable coiled up in the shipping box had to be over 20 lbs shipping weight. The synthetic is much nicer to work with, but IMO not worth the cost if you don't winch much and know how to use the wire rope safely and properly. Key word is "safely".
Unread 05-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
TheBandit
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycreativename View Post
Does no one here put weights on their cables when winching? Figured that was common safety knowledge...
At one point we had two arb weights on one cable because of the rise we were winching over and the cable broke. When it broke and came around it opened the side of my brothers truck bed like a sardine can the weights did nothing just whipped them off like they weren't there. Although I would not have want to see what it was like with out them.

04 WJ Overland Parting Out
TheBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
At one point we had two arb weights on one cable because of the rise we were winching over and the cable broke. When it broke and came around it opened the side of my brothers truck bed like a sardine can the weights did nothing just whipped them off like they weren't there. Although I would not have want to see what it was like with out them.
I winch a lot, I build winch line safety gear. I also discuss this issue with many folks in the industry and our consensus is to avoid the use of weights, towels, floor mats, sweatshirts or anything else placed on the winch line under load. That's for two reasons, 1 is you can NOT predict where the break will happen which means someone generally has to be in harm's way to continually reposition the weight and 2- it gives the participants a false sense of security that will someday get someone hurt.

We much prefer to keep everyone non essential to the recovery outside the kill radius and reduce the risk that way.
Unread 05-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
TheBandit
2004 WJ 

04 WJ Overland Parting Out
TheBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
Rocklobster
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

It sounds to me that the failures noted here were all do to cable fatigue / lack of maintenance or lack of inspection and user error (over loading or using damaged cable) along with improper technique.
I have recovered hundreds of thousands of pounds of equipment in the military and have never broken a cable. Also I work in the commercial fishing industry where massive wire rope is used daily and have never seen a cable part unless fatigued or over loaded (dredge stuck on boulder). Also We have never "weighted" a cable.
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
=KZ=
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
We much prefer to keep everyone non essential to the recovery outside the kill radius and reduce the risk that way.
I think I will volunteer for non essential duty
Unread 05-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #13
4Tom
2001 WJ 

Used a winch for years recovering boats on to trailers and most have switch from wire cable to strap because of wire cable snapping.
But that been said most where old worn wire cable

Tom
4Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #14
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
It sounds to me that the failures noted here were all do to cable fatigue / lack of maintenance or lack of inspection and user error (over loading or using damaged cable) along with improper technique.
I have recovered hundreds of thousands of pounds of equipment in the military and have never broken a cable. Also I work in the commercial fishing industry where massive wire rope is used daily and have never seen a cable part unless fatigued or over loaded (dredge stuck on boulder). Also We have never "weighted" a cable.
I'll also wager good money that your lifting follows Safe WLLs and never exceeds them on a regular basis.

Unlike recreational winches for SELF recovery which typically run 9800 lb breaking strength steel cable on a winch rated at 9500 lbs. Even loosest industry standards would rate the WLL of that set up at 3200 lbs.

We play a dangerous game that few understand.
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #15
206wj
2002 WJ 

I love my Synthetic Cable!! Easy to run out too...

Another advantage is it's easy to repair and splice.
206wj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.