SuperWade2's ZJ 5.9L Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > SuperWade2's ZJ 5.9L Thread

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 12-30-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

SuperWade2's ZJ 5.9L Thread

I don't know how much of an offroad "build" it will be, at least in the near term, but I'm sure I'll do a few things here and there.

1998 5.9 ZJ, 138K Miles, pretty "fair" condition, clean title, no accidents, etc. Bone Stock as far as I can tell... this was the first 5.9L I've driven or ridden in and as soon as I hopped on it a bit to get on the freeway for the test drive, I knew I'd be bringing it home (that and the 2.5 hour each way trip I made to go look at it ).

Here it is... I'll get more pics as I get it cleaned up a bit.

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
YERFDOG
1998 ZJ 

YES!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!! I love it!
YERFDOG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
indredsnake99
1998 ZJ 

congrats on the niner

-on the headlights and corners i would get teh clear corners and crysta; clear headlights from ebay i have them on my niner and yerfdog just installed them on his and has pics in his biuild of what they look like installed.
-on the key fob pm me since i have a couple from my niner and my old 97 i would sell
-definately do the kolak tune up its a great kit i am running it on mine
-i am running the K&N intake with an amsoil filter and prefilter
2007 sahara 2 door wrangler stock bought 02/08/2011

Western Mass 4x4 KEVIN'S OFF ROAD IRON ROCK OFFROAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJones View Post
You'll learn a lot. I didn't know anything when I first joined this site either. (not sure if that's changed at all :laugh:)
indredsnake99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
Jones
Consider the following...

Welcome to the niner club.
Unread 12-30-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by indredsnake99 View Post
congrats on the niner

-on the headlights and corners i would get teh clear corners and crysta; clear headlights from ebay i have them on my niner and yerfdog just installed them on his and has pics in his biuild of what they look like installed.
-on the key fob pm me since i have a couple from my niner and my old 97 i would sell
-definately do the kolak tune up its a great kit i am running it on mine
-i am running the K&N intake with an amsoil filter and prefilter
Thanks for the info, I'll send a PM later about a fob...

I forgot steering wheel cover is pretty much trash up top, will need to cover it up with something nice!
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 12-31-2010, 12:17 AM   #6
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wade, you have a couple of options for the headlights.

1. Stock style replacement (I believe this is it): Amazon

2. Take some Acetone or M.E.K. and put it on a paper towel. Rub the lights and enjoy the cleaner lights.

Edit: According to the Amazon comments, they are the right ones, and come with bulbs too.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 12:19 AM   #7
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Any way to tell if this "PCM flash" was so I can use lower than 91 Octane Gas?

And one Engine bay shot, just because...

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 12-31-2010, 12:25 AM   #8
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
Wade, you have a couple of options for the headlights.

1. Stock style replacement (I believe this is it): Amazon

2. Take some Acetone or M.E.K. and put it on a paper towel. Rub the lights and enjoy the cleaner lights.

Edit: According to the Amazon comments, they are the right ones, and come with bulbs too.
I'm sure I can get stock housings at the local parts jockey also... I need the other 2 lens as well, they are both "wet" inside. Not sure how much I like the clear/Euro ones on Ebay, maybe they will grow on me the more I look at the pics....
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 12-31-2010, 01:42 AM   #9
Kolak
Vendor

The 56041 538AG part number for the PCM is the latest variant for CA emissions. It does not mean the "death flash" was done.

The death flash is a toggle that is set using the DRB scan tool. It can be undone as well. Far as I know, you need to hook up the DRB to actually see if it was done. Of course if it pings on regular unleaded, that's a good clue lol.

As far as the headlamps are concerned, an excellent upgrade is the export lamp setup with the glass lenses. They offer a far superior beam patter and light output to the stock style lamps. PM me if you'd like information.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 02:03 AM   #10
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
The 56041 538AG part number for the PCM is the latest variant for CA emissions. It does not mean the "death flash" was done.

The death flash is a toggle that is set using the DRB scan tool. It can be undone as well. Far as I know, you need to hook up the DRB to actually see if it was done. Of course if it pings on regular unleaded, that's a good clue lol.

As far as the headlamps are concerned, an excellent upgrade is the export lamp setup with the glass lenses. They offer a far superior beam patter and light output to the stock style lamps. PM me if you'd like information.
Thanks Kolak... Ill PM for more info about the lights...don't have a lot of extra scratch with the ZJ purchase, but good to have a long term plan for the mod's!
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 12-31-2010, 09:53 AM   #11
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I did some additional interior clean up work last night (I'll take more pics later), and have a couple more questions (I'm sure there will be a lot of those, so please bear with me!).
  • I don't have OEM Floor Mats, some rubber something or other in there now. Is there OEM style/quality mats around? where the originals carpet covered? It doesn't snow here, so I'm not that worried... are there recommendation for nice replacements, what is the interior color to match (Dark Slate?)
  • Are parts like the center console interchangeable with other years of Zj's or specific to the 5.9? Can any of those parts still be purchased new? The Center Console insert is cracked on the bottom... I used a couple washers on the screw for now but would like. Additionally the rubber that goes around the eBrake handle is busted off (and I think the plastic tabs on the console that hold it on from the inside are ripped off too. From time to time, I've seen GC's at the Pik-N-Pull that I could be able
  • Suggestions for the Sunroof cover? Does the whole headliner come off to get it out to try to repair or replace?
  • There is an auto-upholstery place down the street from me, I might drop by and ask how much it might be to recover the steering wheel. I saw the Wheelskins one, but if this place can do it for just a little more, it would save me time and frustration trying to sew the thing on myself.
  • Is it worth spending $220on an K&N kit just to replace the filter with an Amsoil? I see Rusty's air tube or a cheapy ebay chrome air intake tubes that I could add the Amsoil filter too for quite a bit less $$$, thoughts?
  • One more thing...I assume it's not normal that I can remove my key with the igntion in the forward accessory positon (leaving the radio, lights, etc on)?
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 12-31-2010, 12:53 PM   #12
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Pics of all 3 of my Jeeps, Just because I could...

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 12-31-2010, 12:57 PM   #13
MoparBoy01
1998 XJ Cherokee 

love the picture of all 3 Jeeps. That MJ looks great. I'm planning on trading my 98 XJ for a niner this coming week. Cant wait to get my hands on it and start building that up. I see a niner with a snorkel soon
Down and Dirty Offroad Club Member
ddoffroad.com
MoparBoy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 03:32 PM   #14
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

My PCM carried the same stick , but , a different # . It ran fine on regular gas . When I installed the Mopar PCM , the difference was quite easily noticed . Pretty sure I have a spare PCM with the 'death flash' .

Nice jeep , I mean jeeps . The MJ is my favorite . Tell how much so I can save up ! lol .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 04:24 PM   #15
Evoluvin

Congrats man! Im looking for a ZJ also, i would love it to be a ninner. How much did you pick it up for? If you dont mind me asking.

Night Crew #357
Evoluvin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.