Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

SuperWade2's ZJ 5.9L Thread

22K views 70 replies 20 participants last post by  SuperWade2 
#1 ·
I don't know how much of an offroad "build" it will be, at least in the near term, but I'm sure I'll do a few things here and there.

1998 5.9 ZJ, 138K Miles, pretty "fair" condition, clean title, no accidents, etc. Bone Stock as far as I can tell... this was the first 5.9L I've driven or ridden in and as soon as I hopped on it a bit to get on the freeway for the test drive, I knew I'd be bringing it home (that and the 2.5 hour each way trip I made to go look at it :rofl:).

Here it is... I'll get more pics as I get it cleaned up a bit.

See less See more
#3 ·
congrats on the niner

-on the headlights and corners i would get teh clear corners and crysta; clear headlights from ebay i have them on my niner and yerfdog just installed them on his and has pics in his biuild of what they look like installed.
-on the key fob pm me since i have a couple from my niner and my old 97 i would sell
-definately do the kolak tune up its a great kit i am running it on mine
-i am running the K&N intake with an amsoil filter and prefilter

#5 ·
congrats on the niner

-on the headlights and corners i would get teh clear corners and crysta; clear headlights from ebay i have them on my niner and yerfdog just installed them on his and has pics in his biuild of what they look like installed.
-on the key fob pm me since i have a couple from my niner and my old 97 i would sell
-definately do the kolak tune up its a great kit i am running it on mine
-i am running the K&N intake with an amsoil filter and prefilter
Thanks for the info, I'll send a PM later about a fob...

I forgot steering wheel cover is pretty much trash up top, will need to cover it up with something nice!

#6 ·
Wade, you have a couple of options for the headlights.

1. Stock style replacement (I believe this is it): Amazon

2. Take some Acetone or M.E.K. and put it on a paper towel. Rub the lights and enjoy the cleaner lights.

Edit: According to the Amazon comments, they are the right ones, and come with bulbs too.

#9 ·
The 56041 538AG part number for the PCM is the latest variant for CA emissions. It does not mean the "death flash" was done.

The death flash is a toggle that is set using the DRB scan tool. It can be undone as well. Far as I know, you need to hook up the DRB to actually see if it was done. Of course if it pings on regular unleaded, that's a good clue lol.

As far as the headlamps are concerned, an excellent upgrade is the export lamp setup with the glass lenses. They offer a far superior beam patter and light output to the stock style lamps. PM me if you'd like information.

#10 ·
The 56041 538AG part number for the PCM is the latest variant for CA emissions. It does not mean the "death flash" was done.

The death flash is a toggle that is set using the DRB scan tool. It can be undone as well. Far as I know, you need to hook up the DRB to actually see if it was done. Of course if it pings on regular unleaded, that's a good clue lol.

As far as the headlamps are concerned, an excellent upgrade is the export lamp setup with the glass lenses. They offer a far superior beam patter and light output to the stock style lamps. PM me if you'd like information.
Thanks Kolak... Ill PM for more info about the lights...don't have a lot of extra scratch with the ZJ purchase, but good to have a long term plan for the mod's!

#11 ·
I did some additional interior clean up work last night (I'll take more pics later), and have a couple more questions (I'm sure there will be a lot of those, so please bear with me!).

• I don't have OEM Floor Mats, some rubber something or other in there now. Is there OEM style/quality mats around? where the originals carpet covered? It doesn't snow here, so I'm not that worried... are there recommendation for nice replacements, what is the interior color to match (Dark Slate?)
  • Are parts like the center console interchangeable with other years of Zj's or specific to the 5.9? Can any of those parts still be purchased new? The Center Console insert is cracked on the bottom... I used a couple washers on the screw for now but would like. Additionally the rubber that goes around the eBrake handle is busted off (and I think the plastic tabs on the console that hold it on from the inside are ripped off too. From time to time, I've seen GC's at the Pik-N-Pull that I could be able
  • Suggestions for the Sunroof cover? Does the whole headliner come off to get it out to try to repair or replace?
  • There is an auto-upholstery place down the street from me, I might drop by and ask how much it might be to recover the steering wheel. I saw the Wheelskins one, but if this place can do it for just a little more, it would save me time and frustration trying to sew the thing on myself.
  • Is it worth spending $220on an K&N kit just to replace the filter with an Amsoil? I see Rusty's air tube or a cheapy ebay chrome air intake tubes that I could add the Amsoil filter too for quite a bit less $$$, thoughts?
  • One more thing...I assume it's not normal that I can remove my key with the igntion in the forward accessory positon (leaving the radio, lights, etc on)?

#13 ·
love the picture of all 3 Jeeps. That MJ looks great. I'm planning on trading my 98 XJ for a niner this coming week. Cant wait to get my hands on it and start building that up. I see a niner with a snorkel soon :)

#14 ·
My PCM carried the same stick , but , a different # . It ran fine on regular gas . When I installed the Mopar PCM , the difference was quite easily noticed . Pretty sure I have a spare PCM with the 'death flash' .

Nice jeep , I mean jeeps . The MJ is my favorite . Tell how much so I can save up ! lol .

#16 ·
I paid $4800, which is probably a little higher than in some area's but of the 3 on Craigslist right now, one for $6500, one for $3200, this was nicer and more original than both. NorCal cost of living is high all the way around, including used vehicles. Clean title, 3 owners and no accidents

....and I guess I'm looking for another 5.9'er since my wife just drove it and she think's it's hers now...the TJ we have started as hers too, 11 years ago.. :rofl:

#17 ·
#18 ·
Reviews look good, and they look something like an updated version of what is in my mom's Grand Caravan. She has the infinity's, and they sound great. REally crisp and clean sound. Like mentioned, not for thumping the bass. My mom's van used to put out some good bass, but my sister blew the two rear speakers and one of the door speakers at about 175k on the van.

#19 ·
Ordered some new stuff for the 5.9 already...

• Kolak Ignition Tune-Up Kit
  • Kolak Headlamp Housings/Harness/Bulbs
  • New Speakers (6.5" for doors and 5.25" for Soundbar)
  • Extra Key Fob from JF Member

Replaced a couple burnt out light bulbs on dome lights and replaced Windshield wipers.

I also figured out that I need to go get it smogged before I can goto DMV to do the title transfer. In CA it's technically the sellers responsibility, but I didn't ask about it and am sure not going to go back 2+ hours to try to get them to do it. Hopefully someone has an opening for a drop in tomorrow since I'm off of work for 1 more day.

Still debating getting a K&N FIPK or not (would probably replace K&Nfilter with an AMSOIL one with prefilter.).

I spent most of the day working on the TJ, so didn't really do much else. It's supposed to be dry for the next week, so will likely get it a bath also.

#21 ·
Looks pretty clean. I almost find it amazing that there are two people fighting over a 13 year old vehicle, but then you have to realize that it IS a Jeep :)

#26 ·
Nope, Kolak Doesn't have a website (which is a tad odd in this day and age), but here is the info he sent me via PM's and Email (great speed in replies to questions and stuff)...Ordered via PayPal once I gave him the go ahead!

Kolak (via PM) said:
Hi,

Sure thing - here's all the information. JeepForum members get 10% off the prices below:

The pinnacle of headlamp upgrades are the Euro headlamp housings -- These use a glass lens instead of the plastic lens that the stock lamps use. They have a far better beam pattern, reaching farther down the road with a sharper cutoff. Price is $250.00 for the pair.

The Euro housings use an H4 bulb rather than the stock 9004 bulb. H4 bulbs have a better filament/reflector design than 9004 bulbs, so there's an advantage there as well. The whitest and brightest H4 bulbs I've found are made by PIAA and are priced at $65.00 for the pair.

Finish off with a headlamp bypass harness -- The headlamp wiring bypass harness uses twin relays to route power directly from the battery to the headlamps. This eliminates the nearly 2 volt drop through the stock wiring, resulting in more light output and better bulb longevity. Installation takes only about an hour. All you need do is mount the relays in a convenient spot and attach two power and ground leads. Price for the harness is $70.00.

Let me know what you think -

Thanks
Kolak
and

Kolak (via Email) said:
Hello,

Here's all the information about my Kolak Ignition Upgrade for your 5.9 - JeepForum members get 10% off the price below:

My recommendations for the 5.2/5.9 ZJ ignition system are designed to improve idle quality and throttle response, and to improve and maximize current transfer. This really helps support other modifications. Here's what I recommend:

Magnecor KV85 ignition wires
MSD high output replacement coil
Coil adapter pigtail harness for '98 Jeep
Heavy duty US made brass terminal distributor cap with rotor
Autolite platinum plugs (one heat range colder than stock)

Price for the kit is $270.00

Please take some time to read the information about plug wires on Magnecor's web site at www.magnecor.com. Their wires are the finest I've found - incredibly flexible due to their pure silicone construction, and almost impossible to scorch or burn. Magnecor makes wires for many of the NASCAR teams, and their current transfer capability is amazing.

The MSD high output coil has fully 1/3 more output than the factory coil, and this really works well with the Magnecor wires. It's a direct replacement, and is easy to install. With the coil and wires, you can open up the plug gaps an additional .005 for a bigger spark. The colder plugs provide better detonation resistance.

#29 ·
Got my new 6.5" Door Speakers and 5.25" Soundbar speakers installed once I found the right speaker wire color diagram... MUCH better sound, much less crackle... the paper cones on the OEM Speakers was pretty well shot on all 6 speakers I upgraded. Only took an hour or so total once I figured out which wire went where....

#30 ·
Funny, I'm waiting for the same parts from Kolak for my niner. The ignition upgrade and the headlight kit. :thumbsup:

#31 ·
My first order of stuff from Kolak is supposed to be here tomorrow (headlight kit/Ignition tuneup).

I did replace the Fog lights with some new ones from Amazon.com ($30ish/ea) since both had busted lens'.

Also got my Blend Door Actuator Motor replaced on Monday from a replacement one from the Pik-n-Pull, so my Heat and AC actually work the way they are supposed too instead of luke warm - more pics here - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/heat-not-very-warm-newbie-5-9zj-owner-1149785/

I also have MX6's and a new AddCo front Swaybar on Order from Kolak.

Have new Vanco Big Brake Kit in the works, new Timkin Wheel Bearings, and XRF Ball Joints sitting on the work bench.

Also ordered a K&N FIPK and an Amsoil 9" Filter and PreFilter (From Ridin' Arround here on JF) that should hopefully be here this week too.

So lots of little things in the works to install over the next couple of weeks.

#33 ·
Nice niner. Ours are twins-ish.

You are lucky. Nelle didn't come with the window sticker or skid plate group, but I have the next best thing...the "almost properly done" pinstriping! Mine is sticker, but it was done "almost" like the striping was on the regular grands. The only exception is that at the front of the fenders, where normally it was just stop, the striping comes to a point. Doesn't look bad, just different from everything else.

Crawled...

#34 ·
Wow. That means Jeep really outdid itself with the new GC. My mom just bought one that we will be taking delivery of in a few weeks. Sticker is 38,4XX. For that price she gets (comparing to your sticker).

40 More HP
1 More gear for the Auto
Front Side and Rear Air Bags
146% Stronger Frame from the WK
Heated Tinted Rear window with wiper
Quadra-Coil Suspension
QD I 4x4 With Brake Locking Diffs
Open Diffs (1 point to you for LSD)
24.6 Gallon Tank
Full Size spare with special under trunk storage bins
AC/Heat with Select Temp Control (set by actual temp rather than guessing)
Power Windows/Doors with autolock/unlock/push button start
Cruise Control
Tilt/Telescopic Leather Wheel
Mini Overhead Console
Vehicle Information Center in the dash with radio/nav info
Garage Door Opener
Auto-dim mirror.
Heated Side mirrors
Illuminated Entry
Lamps everywhere mentioned
Alarm and SKIM
10 Speakers with Sub (Boston Acoustics)
Steering Wheel - Leather with radio controls
Full length Console
Heated Front Leather Seats
Rear Folding 60/40 Split
You beat it with Memory Seats (I think...It might have it and just haven't found it yet)
Cargo Cover
Power Moon Roof (slides into the roof rather than outside of the Jeep)
Auto Headlamps (with sexy Jeep Emblem in it)
Fog lights
Roof Rack
Manual Folding mirrors (another win for you)
Deep Tinted Glass/Liftgate blah blah blah
30.5" Tires
18" Aluminum Rims
Free California Emmisions :)

Now to be fair. This is the base model Laredo X we are talking about, but it is nice to see how far they have come.

Things you don't hve

Active Head Restraints
115V Power Outlet
3x 12V outlets
:drool: Looks
Sat Nav
28gb HDD radio (we lose 2gb for the Nav)
1 Year Sirius Radio
8- Way Power front seats with 4 way lumbar support
Illuminated Cup Holder
Remote Starter
Sexy Proximity Remote (touch free entry)

For the $42k of yours, you can get the fancier 4wd, skids, air lift suspension, power fold mirrors, Auto Adjust HIDs.

Great find on the sticker man :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.