StrokedWJ - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > StrokedWJ

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #151
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Got my HP9 regeared and installed. While test driving it and breaking in the new gears I noticed a low speed clunk when I was coasting to a stop so returned home and checked u-joints in front axle. Sure enough I had one with a cracked cap. When I pulled the shaft, I found I'd twisted the splines on the long side chromoly shaft again. Hopefully Chase @ ECGS remembers saying he'd warranty the shaft when I bought it from him! I'm starting to think it may be time for the D30 to go...

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #152
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

D60 or 609 time.

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[URL="http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22776-Biggoofy-s-96-ZJ-build!-**Building-axles**"]My Build[/URL]

Need quality parts call Andy at Ironman4x4fab!!!!!
[url]http://ironman4x4fab.com/index.html[/url]
[/CENTER]
biggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #153
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggoofy View Post
D60 or 609 time.
Maybe if I can win the lottery or something! Probably never going bigger than 35's or 36's with the CHP9 in the back so I think a HP44 would fit the bill. With a little patience and luck I can probably find one thats already geared 4.56 and locked.

Unread 05-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #154
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

I love my hp44 but I need a 60 lol

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[URL="http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22776-Biggoofy-s-96-ZJ-build!-**Building-axles**"]My Build[/URL]

[/CENTER]
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #155
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

ECGS came through with the new shaft. There is an open ride at the Flats this Saturday. Gotta get the shaft installed and test it out!

Unread 06-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #156
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedWJ View Post
ECGS came through with the new shaft. There is an open ride at the Flats this Saturday. Gotta get the shaft installed and test it out!
Well...turns out they cut the shaft the wrong length. It was too long and pushing on the crosspin in the diff which caused the locker to pop and make noise while turning. I pulled the new shaft, compared it to the CV shaft I'd been temporarily running and it was 1/2" too long. You can see where the shaft was pushing against the crosspin. Shaft measured 34.5" to center of u-joint. I pulled specs from original order which states 34.1". Called ECGS to tell them and was told repeatedly they cut the shaft to the exact measurements of the old shaft. Bull****ing ****! My Dana 30 sure as hell didn't shrink while I was waiting on the warranty replacement. Guy said I could cut the 1/2" off if I thought the shaft was too long, but he was sure there was no length difference between the old and new one. Sad thing is they charged me $65 for cutting & splining (which was never mentioned before when asking about the warranty).

Unread 07-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #157
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

FML...pulled the oil pan to see if I could find reason for loss of oil pressure. Found small bronze pieces in the pan. ****

Crank has excessive end play (.08") so checked thrust bearing. ****

Pulled caps on several more bearings. **** **** ****

Unread 07-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #158
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

**** man that sucks. Btw ecgs has gone down hill in service a lot here lately. I don't bother using them anymore.

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[/CENTER]
Unread 07-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #159
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggoofy View Post
**** man that sucks. Btw ecgs has gone down hill in service a lot here lately. I don't bother using them anymore.
I ordered some Yukon R8.8 gears from Dave's Performance after reading your review on NC4x4. Saved almost $100 off of ECGS's internet price!

I'm not sure what would have caused such extreme wear on the bearings. I did a UOA a few thousand miles ago and had no signs of coolant. The stroker has less then 20k on it. Debating just parting the jeep out or tearing back into the engine and keeping it. I think I could get 6k pretty easy parting it, and looking for a Wrangler or built XJ. Will probably have to pull the crank and have it turned if I go rebuild.

Unread 07-07-2013, 05:39 AM   #160
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

Yea I'm looking at using all my parts for a Tj build soon.

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[/CENTER]
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #161
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Trip Report from Denver/Moab:

My trip was this past weekend. Flew into Denver Thursday morning, grabbed a rental car and drove over to Moab via I-70. I-70 runs along the Colorado river and passes through the Rockies and many of the popular ski towns like Vail, Silverthorne, Breckenridge, Avon, etc. Picked up my rental Rubicon from Cliffhanger about 5:30PM and immediately headed over to the Sand Flats Recreation Area. Very first thing I did was Little Lion's Back, which got the adrenaline flowing! Then went on to run Fins & Things. I ran what the first "half" of the trail until it ran back in the road and called it a day since I'd been on a plane or in a vehicle for a hair over 12 hrs. Stayed at the River Canyon Lodge in downtown Moab.

Friday - Woke up at 5:30, grabbed some breakfast at the McDonalds and hit the trails. I started on Poison Spider Mesa, an out and back trail since Golden Spike was on the list of prohibited trails with Cliffhanger. The trail was extremely fun. It had a mix of chunky rock crawling, waterfall climbs, sandstone domes, sand pits and flat high speed areas. Seeing the little arch and the view from the top overlook was truly amazing. On the way back out I made a mistake dropping off a ledge and nearly rolled the rental jeep! I didn't realize how steep one overhang was and dropped off about 3.5ft straight off the ledge. I got hung up on the front LCA mounts and crossmember with the front tires a few inches off the ground. I could feel the jeep teetering back and forth high-centered. To make things more exciting there was about a 200ft cliff about 10-15 ft to my right! I hadn't seen any other jeeps out on the trail yet, so I opened the door to check things out and the jeep started sliding towards the cliff. It stopped and I managed to get out only to find the back tires about 2 ft off the ground. I grabbed the rear bumper and gently rocked it and the jeep enough to slide down on the rocks and get the passenger tire touching the top rock. After carefully climbing back in the jeep I engaged the F&R lockers and extremely gently put it in gear and gave it a little gas. With a little working of the steering the tires finally bit enough to drag the crossmember off the ledge and free! Unfortunately I was too worried about rolling the jeep and dying to get a pic of the jeep stuck...

After "surviving" the Poison Spider trail I headed back to the Sand Flats Recreation Area for the Hells Revenge Trail. Started Hells Revenge around 11AM. The first fin leaving the parking lot is steep and narrow. A real preview of things to come! This trail was also a lot of fun. I finally ran across another jeep on the trails about 1PM but he kept going and left me when I stopped to take a picture of the Escalator so I didn't try it since I didn't have a spotter. I did do Tip Over Challange and had a brief moment of 3-wheeling on the off-camber obstacle. Slow and steady proved to be the key.

With Hells Revenge conquered, I had a few hours left to kill before the rental jeep needed to be back at Cliffhanger. After studying the map at the hotel the night before I noticed there was another 6 miles of Fins & Things trail that I didn't realize connected on the other side of the road. So I followed the road back to where I'd left of the previous day and ran the last "half" of Fins & Things. I knew time would be tight so I "ECORS'd" this trail, running 6.1 miles in 1 hr. and 10 minutes!

It was truly a great experience and a bucket list item for me. The wheeling and scenery was unbelievable! I uploaded all of my pics here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=9983185ee4

Unread 07-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #162
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Sounds like a fun trip. It is a great place to go to. Did you do hells gate?

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #163
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
Sounds like a fun trip. It is a great place to go to. Did you do hells gate?
No, I didn't do Hells Gate or Escalator since I was alone and didn't have a spotter. Do you go down Hells Gate and come back up? I couldn't find another way down to the bottom.

Unread 07-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #164
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

No, there is a route down. In all honestly, the route going down into hell's gate was more scary for me than actually doing it. Here is the entrance, hell's gate is on the other side of the hill to the right.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #165
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Started tear down to pull and rebuild bottom end.

Planning to pull engine to have crank turned/polished and install new bearings.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.