the strange things we find - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > the strange things we find

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
um7267
1998 ZJ 

the strange things we find

so i have had this transmission leak since i purchased my jeep, the trans shifts fine and the jeep runs great. i took it to the shop to find out why it was leaking, it always seemed to leak more when the fluid was warm and topped off usually took a month for me to see a difference on the stick.

so the mechanic called saying the trans was from a junk yard somewhere....
the po never said anything about a trans swap so it must have been the owner before him, i currently have 225k miles on the zj.

also i think i have tags for a d35 lsd but there is no writing on it just a piece of metal between two bolts.

the other thing i have found is that the rear bumper was pulled from a junk yard, it has writing from a particular one in VA.

so has anyone else ever found something shocking about the jeep they are driving that a PO did?

to the good times and the bad, the family we have and lost, little brother 1988-2011
um7267 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Yea my trans pan was about to fall off it was so loose that I grabbed the correct socket to drop the pan tested the socket first thought was ok I grabbed the wrong socket cause it felt loose so I grabbed the next size down tried ok its too small now by this time my dad was laughing at me and told me I had the correct socket size the first time.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
chich
1995 ZJ 

Unbeknownst to me when I bought it ,the PO had replaced the driver door on my 95 with a door from a 93.Only the drivers side window worked,no power mirrors were functional,nor were the power locks.I initially thought it was the wiring harness between the body and door because the wiring in the boot was broken and frayed.

I didn't have the tools or knowhow to fix it,so I brought the harness to a shop for repair.When I got it back and reinstalled it I still had the same problems.I then brought the jeep to the shop that made the repair,and they were the ones who discovered the door swap.The plate on the door showed a build date of 93.The tech had to repin everything to get it working as it should.

The paint on the door was a shade different,but being a 17 old vehicle,I didn't really notice it at the time of purchase.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

2015 KL Cherokee 

I don't know if this counts, but my dad didn't know any better and routinely took my jeep to this cheap mechanic that really half assed everything. To this day, I find missing bolts, stripped studs, missing plastic pieces, Hercules-torqued bolts, incorrect parts, shortcuts taken...just ridiculous stuff.

Every time I make a routine repair/do routine maintenance, I have to prepare for every possibility I've learned after being stranded with a stripped block trying to replace my thermostat... Even replacing my starter, one of the bolts looked like it was just some random bolt they found and jammed into the socket! The threads were all screwed up...oh it was a mess...

Moral of the story: I NEVER TRUST MECHANICS.
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

I was recently working under the hood of my wifes mud jeep and a buddy noticed a wrench as I went to close the hood. It wasn't mine and was rusted to boot. Lol I've been under that hood a lot and never noticed it tucked up in where the windshield meets the engine compartment.
BuzzZJ9er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 01:27 AM   #6
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzZJ9er View Post
I was recently working under the hood of my wifes mud jeep and a buddy noticed a wrench as I went to close the hood. It wasn't mine and was rusted to boot. Lol I've been under that hood a lot and never noticed it tucked up in where the windshield meets the engine compartment.
Been there....except I left the dang wrench myself !
What's so funny is that I'm so "anal" about my tools and my engine, I couldnt hardly believe I actually did it. No one has ever put a wrench on mine except for a little warranty work, right after I bought it new....so yeah...it was MY wrench and it rode there for a week.

I hope it doesnt tell any of my lady friends where I went that week !

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 01:28 AM   #7
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

My Jeep was found abandoned on the side of the interstate (I worked for a towing company at the time) with a self-destructed water pump. So for me I know zero info about any of it. Lol. The engine block has paint marker writing on it making me assume it's not original, but being that I'll never know anyone who owned it, will never know.
herqulees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

One time I found a dead bird in my roof rack. Turns out my gf had driven my jeep, hit the bird with the antenna and when she disnt see it behind her, assumed it "flew away".
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #9
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by um7267 View Post
so i have had this transmission leak since i purchased my jeep, the trans shifts fine and the jeep runs great. i took it to the shop to find out why it was leaking, it always seemed to leak more when the fluid was warm and topped off usually took a month for me to see a difference on the stick.

so the mechanic called saying the trans was from a junk yard somewhere....
the po never said anything about a trans swap so it must have been the owner before him, i currently have 225k miles on the zj.

also i think i have tags for a d35 lsd but there is no writing on it just a piece of metal between two bolts.

the other thing i have found is that the rear bumper was pulled from a junk yard, it has writing from a particular one in VA.

so has anyone else ever found something shocking about the jeep they are driving that a PO did?
with 225k on the clock you should be more surprised if the tranny was original.......
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightluckey View Post
One time I found a dead bird in my roof rack. Turns out my gf had driven my jeep, hit the bird with the antenna and when she disnt see it behind her, assumed it "flew away".
thats funny right there^

when i pulled my tranny, i found a birds nest on top of it
leads me to believe my jeep sat for some time before i bought it.
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

i found a crack pipe between the seats of a jeep i parted out once.................. lets just say that seat went to the wreckers with the rest of the carcass..............

found a wallet once too; it had no cash or credit cards. i guess jeep people really are poor lol

the MOST disturbing thing i've found.......... french fries. bought a jeep that had been sitting for at least half a year they said. found fries under the seat....... they looked fresh.. gross
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #12
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
thats funny right there^

when i pulled my tranny, i found a birds nest on top of it
leads me to believe my jeep sat for some time before i bought it.
Lol birds dont usually make a nest hidden in an engine compartment, birds arent the only creatures to make a nest by the way.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #13
thetammon
1995 ZJ 

As I was replacing me headlight housings, I found that the passenger side housing was broken inside and the bulb was suspended by wire attached to the coolant lines. The bulb had melted a good portion of the back of the old housing. Also parts of my exhaust were held up by the same type of wire.

Sent from something using JeepForum
thetammon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #14
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Guy in our club was on an inlcine and a crack pipe rolled out from somewhere.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #15
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Zip ties were used to hold up part of my exhaust. No spacers to separate the spark wires. Didn't install the gate panel correctly. All four tires had different tread depths, but all were the same size, brand, and model. My guess is he hit a lot of nails? Tore up the carpet under the back seat, found quarters super glued to the metal. Along with lots of old candy and little children's things. Those quarters are still glued there. I also find "replaced" screws. Close match, but not the right ones.
ZJNewbi3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.