JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Grand Cherokee General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/)
-   -   the strange things we find (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/strange-things-we-find-1541339/)

um7267 06-25-2013 06:07 PM

the strange things we find

so i have had this transmission leak since i purchased my jeep, the trans shifts fine and the jeep runs great. i took it to the shop to find out why it was leaking, it always seemed to leak more when the fluid was warm and topped off usually took a month for me to see a difference on the stick.

so the mechanic called saying the trans was from a junk yard somewhere.... :confused:
the po never said anything about a trans swap so it must have been the owner before him, i currently have 225k miles on the zj.

also i think i have tags for a d35 lsd but there is no writing on it just a piece of metal between two bolts.

the other thing i have found is that the rear bumper was pulled from a junk yard, it has writing from a particular one in VA.

so has anyone else ever found something shocking about the jeep they are driving that a PO did?

xcaliber81 06-25-2013 07:02 PM

Yea my trans pan was about to fall off it was so loose that I grabbed the correct socket to drop the pan tested the socket first thought was ok I grabbed the wrong socket cause it felt loose so I grabbed the next size down tried ok its too small now by this time my dad was laughing at me and told me I had the correct socket size the first time.

chich 06-25-2013 08:30 PM

Unbeknownst to me when I bought it ,the PO had replaced the driver door on my 95 with a door from a 93.Only the drivers side window worked,no power mirrors were functional,nor were the power locks.I initially thought it was the wiring harness between the body and door because the wiring in the boot was broken and frayed.

I didn't have the tools or knowhow to fix it,so I brought the harness to a shop for repair.When I got it back and reinstalled it I still had the same problems.I then brought the jeep to the shop that made the repair,and they were the ones who discovered the door swap.The plate on the door showed a build date of 93.The tech had to repin everything to get it working as it should.

The paint on the door was a shade different,but being a 17 old vehicle,I didn't really notice it at the time of purchase.

zander21510 06-25-2013 09:51 PM

I don't know if this counts, but my dad didn't know any better and routinely took my jeep to this cheap mechanic that really half assed everything. To this day, I find missing bolts, stripped studs, missing plastic pieces, Hercules-torqued bolts, incorrect parts, shortcuts taken...just ridiculous stuff.

Every time I make a routine repair/do routine maintenance, I have to prepare for every possibility I've learned after being stranded with a stripped block trying to replace my thermostat... Even replacing my starter, one of the bolts looked like it was just some random bolt they found and jammed into the socket! The threads were all screwed up...oh it was a mess...

Moral of the story: I NEVER TRUST MECHANICS.

BuzzZJ9er 06-25-2013 10:32 PM

I was recently working under the hood of my wifes mud jeep and a buddy noticed a wrench as I went to close the hood. It wasn't mine and was rusted to boot. Lol I've been under that hood a lot and never noticed it tucked up in where the windshield meets the engine compartment.

Oldfrog 06-26-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuzzZJ9er (Post 15608209)
I was recently working under the hood of my wifes mud jeep and a buddy noticed a wrench as I went to close the hood. It wasn't mine and was rusted to boot. Lol I've been under that hood a lot and never noticed it tucked up in where the windshield meets the engine compartment.

Been there....except I left the dang wrench myself !
What's so funny is that I'm so "anal" about my tools and my engine, I couldnt hardly believe I actually did it. No one has ever put a wrench on mine except for a little warranty work, right after I bought it new....so yeah...it was MY wrench and it rode there for a week.

I hope it doesnt tell any of my lady friends where I went that week !

herqulees 06-26-2013 12:28 AM

My Jeep was found abandoned on the side of the interstate (I worked for a towing company at the time) with a self-destructed water pump. So for me I know zero info about any of it. Lol. The engine block has paint marker writing on it making me assume it's not original, but being that I'll never know anyone who owned it, will never know.

Midnightluckey 06-26-2013 11:00 AM

One time I found a dead bird in my roof rack. Turns out my gf had driven my jeep, hit the bird with the antenna and when she disnt see it behind her, assumed it "flew away".

JohnnyZJ 06-26-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by um7267 (Post 15607102)
so i have had this transmission leak since i purchased my jeep, the trans shifts fine and the jeep runs great. i took it to the shop to find out why it was leaking, it always seemed to leak more when the fluid was warm and topped off usually took a month for me to see a difference on the stick.

so the mechanic called saying the trans was from a junk yard somewhere.... :confused:
the po never said anything about a trans swap so it must have been the owner before him, i currently have 225k miles on the zj.

also i think i have tags for a d35 lsd but there is no writing on it just a piece of metal between two bolts.

the other thing i have found is that the rear bumper was pulled from a junk yard, it has writing from a particular one in VA.

so has anyone else ever found something shocking about the jeep they are driving that a PO did?

with 225k on the clock you should be more surprised if the tranny was original.......

dnuccio 06-26-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnightluckey (Post 15609737)
One time I found a dead bird in my roof rack. Turns out my gf had driven my jeep, hit the bird with the antenna and when she disnt see it behind her, assumed it "flew away".

thats funny right there^ :rofl::laugh::highfive:

when i pulled my tranny, i found a birds nest on top of it :rofl:
leads me to believe my jeep sat for some time before i bought it.

JohnnyZJ 06-26-2013 11:56 AM

i found a crack pipe between the seats of a jeep i parted out once.................. lets just say that seat went to the wreckers with the rest of the carcass..............

found a wallet once too; it had no cash or credit cards. i guess jeep people really are poor lol

the MOST disturbing thing i've found.......... french fries. bought a jeep that had been sitting for at least half a year they said. found fries under the seat....... they looked fresh.. gross

xcaliber81 06-26-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnuccio (Post 15609972)
thats funny right there^ :rofl::laugh::highfive:

when i pulled my tranny, i found a birds nest on top of it :rofl:
leads me to believe my jeep sat for some time before i bought it.

Lol birds dont usually make a nest hidden in an engine compartment, birds arent the only creatures to make a nest by the way.

thetammon 06-26-2013 03:50 PM

As I was replacing me headlight housings, I found that the passenger side housing was broken inside and the bulb was suspended by wire attached to the coolant lines. The bulb had melted a good portion of the back of the old housing. Also parts of my exhaust were held up by the same type of wire.

Sent from something using JeepForum

WhiteOut 06-26-2013 03:52 PM

Guy in our club was on an inlcine and a crack pipe rolled out from somewhere.

ZJNewbi3 06-26-2013 03:59 PM

Zip ties were used to hold up part of my exhaust. No spacers to separate the spark wires. Didn't install the gate panel correctly. All four tires had different tread depths, but all were the same size, brand, and model. My guess is he hit a lot of nails? Tore up the carpet under the back seat, found quarters super glued to the metal. Along with lots of old candy and little children's things. Those quarters are still glued there. I also find "replaced" screws. Close match, but not the right ones.

The time now is 12:51 AM.