SteeleJay's 02 WJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > SteeleJay's 02 WJ Build

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #1
SteeleJay
Vulcan Ambassador

2002 WJ 

SteeleJay's 02 WJ Build

Finally getting to start my WJ build thread - very excited!
I'm brand new to the Jeep/4x4/off-roading scene, but am looking forward to the learning process - both on the mechanical/technical side, and the driving side.

A few weeks ago my wife and I picked up a one-owner 02 WJ 4.7L w/184K on the odo. It's pretty clean with the exception of rot in the rockers - - which seems to be an undocumented standard option for Jeeps. (someone should tell Jeep that rocker-rot is not an option most of us would generally choose).

The plan is to build - wait for it - yes, an expedition rig! (How original of us) This will be our back-country camping rig, Jeep Jamboree rig and weekend wheeler rig. To that end, I ordered the Rough Country 4" baseline long arm kit (the baseline kit comes sans springs/shocks/track-bar). To actually get the thing in the air, I ordered the 4.5" springs and shocks (as well as a drop pitman arm and steering stabilizer) from Rustysoffroad.com, and a JKS track-bar w/super hard bushings from KOR.

For wheels/tires I'm starting out with GT Radial Adventuro Mud 265/7516 on Cragar Soft-8 16x8 (4.25 BS). The tires are a pretty aggressive tread, but they were sooooper cheap, and while I wouldn't necessarily call this a budget build, I'm not not the Geico made-of-money motorcycle guy either.

We dropped off the Jeep and all the components at Maximum Automotive in Naperville, IL to get the lift installed.

front-driver-view.jpg

SteeleJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2015, 06:27 PM   #2
SteeleJay
Vulcan Ambassador

2002 WJ 

More pics of the build currently in progress as I get them edited to fit the upload limitations.
Unread 03-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #3
MoonyJohn
Blow on my Avatar

2004 WJ 

Nice jeep!

Do not install a drop pitman arm, its pointless. Does nothing but mess the steering angles.

Other than that, good luck with the build!
Unread 03-10-2015, 10:54 PM   #4
SteeleJay
Vulcan Ambassador

2002 WJ 

Thanks for the heads up on the drop pitman arm. Unfortunately it's too late as it's already installed.

If I notice any unusual steering issues, I'll have them put the stock pitman arm back on.

Also, my mechanic Jim was unimpressed with the Rusty's shocks - I'll run 'em for a while just to get used to the feel. I'll upgrade to Bilstein monotube's later if I don't like the ride characteristics of the cheap shocks - already have a quote from Kolak.

The end-link joints for the drag-link and tie-rod were shot, which I sort of expected, so all new ones, including a stock replacement tie-rod.

There's also oil on the tranny pan - es no bueno. The engine oil pan is also badly rusted.

The front end of the system is pretty much done, tomorrow will be the rear, which I understand goes much faster. I'm hoping to get it back tomorrow early afternoon!
driver-side.jpg

2015-03-09-13.33.37-640x478-.jpg

early-process.jpg

rocker-rot-innerandouter.jpg

stock-front-ca-mount-gone.jpg

oil-tranny-pan.jpg

crossmember-installed.jpg

front-la-installed.jpg

stock-arm-rear-diff.jpg

driver-side-la.jpg

Unread 03-10-2015, 11:15 PM   #5
SteeleJay
Vulcan Ambassador

2002 WJ 

Stupid sideways pictures...
img_2088_zpslvyngha9.jpg

img_2089_zpsueiyvxvq.jpg

Unread 03-11-2015, 07:45 AM   #6
ChrisHager

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleJay View Post
To that end, I ordered the Rough Country 4" baseline long arm kit (the baseline kit comes sans springs/shocks/track-bar). To actually get the thing in the air, I ordered the 4.5" springs and shocks (as well as a drop pitman arm and steering stabilizer) from Rustysoffroad.com, and a JKS track-bar w/super hard bushings from KOR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
Do not install a drop pitman arm, its pointless. Does nothing but mess the steering angles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleJay View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the drop pitman arm. Unfortunately it's too late as it's already installed.

If I notice any unusual steering issues, I'll have them put the stock pitman arm back on.
I agree - the drop pitman arm shouldn't be used. The JKS Adjustable Track Bar is all you need.
Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
"Wind them in until you strip the thread....then back a quarter turn!"
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2015, 08:22 AM   #7
87thhunter
2004 WJ 

Fyi GT Radial Adventuro Mud i used them and they wore out so fast it was unbelievable, they where awesome off road but WORE like crazy on the pavement......So my experience is be ready to replace them again when you can afford a better on road off road set up tires.
87thhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2015, 08:55 AM   #8
SteeleJay
Vulcan Ambassador

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87thhunter View Post
Fyi GT Radial Adventuro Mud i used them and they wore out so fast it was unbelievable, they where awesome off road but WORE like crazy on the pavement......
I'll keep an eye on them. How many miles do you think you got out of them? It's not going to be my daily driver, but we will be driving it long distance to various events.
Unread 03-11-2015, 12:01 PM   #9
87thhunter
2004 WJ 

I had them on a pick up and i swear i had 5-10k miles on them..... now i knew one guy that got i would say around 25-30k but they where SHOT.....
87thhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2015, 12:07 PM   #10
SteeleJay
Vulcan Ambassador

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87thhunter View Post
I had them on a pick up and i swear i had 5-10k miles on them..... now i knew one guy that got i would say around 25-30k but they where SHOT.....
Yeah, that's not great miles but they are a mud tire with pretty soft compound from a basement manufacturer. If they give me 10K that'd probably get me through a couple of years.

I'm going to apply the $$ saved towards a Frantz Design Works front bumper (formerly LSR Incline).
Unread 03-11-2015, 02:36 PM   #11
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

Congrats on starting the build! I am curious how the drop pitman arm works, as I don't run one either. I think for it to work correctly, you need to lower the frame side track bar mount the same. But I am not really sure because I don't have personal experience in changing the frame side stuff.
Unread 03-11-2015, 04:25 PM   #12
SteeleJay
Vulcan Ambassador

2002 WJ 

Uhg - Not done yet!!! I really thought it would be finished today. Have I mentioned I'm not a patient person?

I stopped by and snapped some additional pics. He decided to cut the exhaust off to give himself some room to work. When I left they were struggling to get it back in place but the drop brackets for the rear sway-bar end links were making life difficult.

Also snapped a pic of the pile of scrap metal they've pulled off.

The stock rear a-link is interesting compared to the new tubular unit. You can see how the diff-housing mount would severely limit flex on a stock WJ.
img_2107_zpsnsi9prha.jpg   img_2106_zpsbd4wtkl6.jpg   img_2104_zpsejsvhs69.jpg   img_2101_zpsoeehagt0.jpg   img_2102_zpsqriqmz3l.jpg  

img_2103_zpsgstsxbye.jpg   img_2109_zpsyf6v78dw.jpg  
Unread 03-12-2015, 11:05 PM   #13
SteeleJay
Vulcan Ambassador

2002 WJ 

I was able to pick the Jeep up from the shop today and I'm very impressed with how easy it is to drive - really not that much different from stock, although I will say that holy crap those tires are ROUGH and LOUD on the road. I love the stance on the Rusty's 4.5" springs. I'll post pics tommorrow - didn't have time tonight.

There is a cloud with this silver lining however - I wanted to snap some in-motion pics on the ride home, so I had my wife drive it while I followed and I noticed that there is significant blue smoke coming from the exhaust off the line. Is this an indication that it has bad piston rings and might need a rebuild? That would be a serious downer...

I'm going to check the plugs and do a compression test as a start, maybe also a leak-down test as well. Anything else I should be looking into?
Unread 03-13-2015, 08:00 AM   #14
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

If those tests check out it could be valve seals. Glad you like how it drives. Let see those pics!
Unread 03-13-2015, 08:48 AM   #15
derekmac
2002 WJ 

If the tires are really rough, check to make sure the pressure isn't too high in them.

Build thread.
derekmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
expedition build , kevin's offroad , rough country , rusty's offroad , steelejay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.