Spyder328's WJ Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Spyder328's WJ Build Thread

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!

Unread 07-15-2015, 07:39 PM   #1
Spyder328
2000 WJ 

Spyder328's WJ Build Thread

Well, I've decided to do a build thread It'll be slow, but I figured I'd make one because I love reading others build threads and I'm finally getting away from stock

Alright, so I purchased this 2000 Jeep WJ 4.0 I6 Laredo back in June 2014 with 195,2xx miles on it. It was in really good shape and it looked like all those miles were highway miles. All it had as far as upgrades go was a Stampede bug shield and 255/70/16 tires. Here is a picture of it from the add

And here is when I bought it. It started raining right after we test drove it

I got it home and took a good picture of it the next day after all the rain

That day I went and ordered a BB lift because it looked a little sad with those tires and no lift The BB I got was a 2.5" in the front and 2" in the back. A few days later I got the BB and put it on that afternoon

After I did the BB I decided that I didn't like the peeling badges that were on it and that it'd look way better without any badges on it.

After I took all the badges off I was thinking about how I still wanted Jeep on the back but I wanted it to be different and cool, so I got this sticker made

Also got Westin in-channel vent visors for it

After this I swapped out the old crackly stock dash speakers for some speakers from JGCJeeps. Made a big difference and it sounds so much better. They are still going strong and sounding fantastic. Didn't take any pictures of that tho lol

Unread 07-15-2015, 07:39 PM   #2
Spyder328
2000 WJ 

I really didn't like the gold pin stripes that were on it. Gold isn't my thing and they were cracked and faded, so I took them off to

It stayed like this for a bit while I planned on what I would wanna do next. After a while I decided I wanted to try plasti dipping the grill black

After I did this I quickly knew the wheels needed to be black too So I plasti dipped the wheels as well

Much better... But now it brought out the faded plastics and made them look worse. So I started looking into what I could do to make the plastics look good again. I decided to try Penetrol. I did two coats and wow what a difference. It lasts real well too.

I didn't like how red the tail lights were but I didn't want to tint them and get any unwanted attention lol I then found these AMI V-Tech slotted tail light covers. They are perfect

Then this year I came across a member that had some 1.25" wheel spacers and a few other things, so I picked up the wheel spacers, a cargo cover, and some headlights (ended up not using them). The wheel spacers make it look mean but don't draw to much attention

Unread 07-15-2015, 08:03 PM   #3
Spyder328
2000 WJ 

After some thought I decided I wanted to do a CB instal. I picked up a Cobra 19 DX IV CB, FireStik KW 3' antenna, FireStik hood mount and heavy duty spring, FireStik coax cable and a cubby to get rid of my ash tray. Also picked up a PYLE PA. speaker to hook up to it.

I didn't want to have to drill into anything you'd see so I made a bracket to hold the mic mount

I mounted the antenna mount under the hood hinge. I had to grind away some of the bottom of the antenna mount to get it to fit perfectly

I had a hard time finding a spot to put my PA. speaker tho, I ended up putting it on the back of the airbox lid. I put some duct seal on the bottom of the mount and bolted it to the lid. Also zip tied a piece of clear rubber tube to the one hose the speaker touches, just to make sure it won't rub thru the hose

Not long after that my power steering leak started getting worse and I traced it back to the pressure hose, so I got a new pressure hose

I wasn't a fan of the wood trim that was on the dash so I got some carbon fiber vinyl and wrapped the wood trim and radio bezel

And this is how it sits right now I have some new headlights coming in the mail and they should be here on Friday

Unread 07-16-2015, 12:39 PM   #4
Spyder328
2000 WJ 

Ordered a Flowmaster Super 40 today Can't wait for it to get here
Unread 07-17-2015, 08:01 PM   #5
Spyder328
2000 WJ 

Got my headlights in the mail today As soon as I got home from work I put them on. They look amazing. I swapped the leds for some amber leds (not a fan of the white leds there...) and tied them into my turn signal so they flash with the small turn signal bulb. Tied my halos into my parking lights (made sure I got the CCFL halos ).

Unread 07-19-2015, 01:00 PM   #6
Spyder328
2000 WJ 

Put some white leds in my dome lights, glove box, and my under dash courtesy lights Just gotta get one for the cargo area and some for the passenger assist handles
Unread 07-21-2015, 07:36 PM   #7
Spyder328
2000 WJ 

Swapped out the muffler for the Flowmaster Super 40. Let me tell ya.... it SUCKED getting the old one loose So worth it tho Took a quick sound video

Unread 07-24-2015, 01:25 PM   #8
Spyder328
2000 WJ 

Finally got a replacement latch for the left side of my hatch. Now no more beeping when I go over bumps
Unread 08-01-2015, 08:12 PM   #9
Spyder328
2000 WJ 

Started hearing a noise coming from one of the pulleys a few days ago. Upon further inspection it was my idler pulley, so I replaced its bearing today
Unread 08-04-2015, 10:10 PM   #10
SteeleJay
Vulcan Ambassador

2002 WJ 

I like what you've done. It's coming together very nicely. The wheel spacers really do make big difference, but it's still subtle.

I thought about going with the halo headlights as well, but figured that as aggressive as I can get on the trails, I should keep it cheap and went with the standard black laredo headlights. They were cheap on ebay and I think look better than the chrome ones that come on the Limited (at least on my black Limited).

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...build-3066009/
SteeleJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2015, 04:14 PM   #11
Spyder328
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleJay View Post
I like what you've done. It's coming together very nicely. The wheel spacers really do make big difference, but it's still subtle.

I thought about going with the halo headlights as well, but figured that as aggressive as I can get on the trails, I should keep it cheap and went with the standard black laredo headlights. They were cheap on ebay and I think look better than the chrome ones that come on the Limited (at least on my black Limited).
Thanks! Yeah the wheel spacers make it look so much better but don't scream "Look at me!" I was looking at just getting the standard black Laredo headlights to save the money but I figured I'd go all out lol I wanted the projectors because I wanna put some HIR 2011's in the low beam and I don't wanna have a chance of blinding anyone

Also got some Wagner Thermoquiet brake pads for the rear today. Finally lost that stupid squeak I had lol
Unread 08-29-2015, 06:20 PM   #12
Spyder328
2000 WJ 

Got a new cb antenna today. I don't really like how stiff my Firestik KW is so I decided (after A LOT of reading and deliberation lol ) to get a Firestik Firefly. Also wasn't really liking my signal either with the 3' KW so I got the firefly in the 4' model. I haven't really been able to test it much, no one was talking much today lol The lowest I could get my SWR was 1.2 on channel 1, 1.1 on channel 20, and 1.7 on channel 40. I guess thats as good as I'm gonna get it. I have checked everything with a meter and I even have a separate ground to the mount. My KW was around 1.3 on 1, 20, and 40 (I did have to trim the antenna wire a good bit tho).
Unread 08-30-2015, 11:07 PM   #13
Killallblue

2002 WJ 

builds looking good so far
Unread 08-31-2015, 06:44 PM   #14
Spyder328
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killallblue View Post
builds looking good so far
Thanks

Had my abs light come on today. Did the key dance and no codes came up. I'll have to get autozone to scan for codes... Hopefully its not expensive to make that light go out lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.