Split Nail WJ Build Thread - Page 50 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Split Nail WJ Build Thread

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-31-2011, 03:53 PM   #736
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

Okay I'll do this tomorrow. Thanks guys!

SplitNail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 04:46 PM   #737
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

I just took the spare off my roof. It feels SO much better. Especially the high way. Im hoping to see gains in MPG.

Unread 02-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #738
NewtonGT
2000 WJ 

hope you find out the problem with the smoke. I got a question, someone said they were buying a amsoil filter and they were gonna message you. Do you work with them or something?

My Build:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/newtongts-wj-build-1165332/
NewtonGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #739
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

I'm a dealer, so yes.

Unread 02-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #740
NewtonGT
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitNail View Post
I'm a dealer, so yes.
haha good sorry for asking like that. what is the price for a drop in amsoil filter

My Build:
Unread 02-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #741
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

I'm not sure what you are asking? Maybe a typo? Sorry.

Unread 02-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #742
NewtonGT
2000 WJ 

like how much will it cost for an amsoil air filter for my wj

My Build:
Unread 02-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #743
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtonGT View Post
like how much will it cost for an amsoil air filter for my wj
Pm sent

Unread 02-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #744
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

yo. i think you should come to jeep beach

It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.

Live in Florida? Check out Florida4x4.org!!!
mrJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #745
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

Where and what is it??

Unread 02-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #746
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

psssssht. only the biggest gathering in the SE....

http://www.jeepbeach.com/

talk it up amongst the wj-ers. wanna try to get a good number out

It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.

Live in Florida? Check out Florida4x4.org!!!
mrJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #747
tsconver
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitNail View Post
I try not to pay mechanics to do my work. I'll just research until I figure it out. I have a buddy of mine that says he can help me. But I just wanted to make sure the 4.7l wasnt anything different. So basically doing a "leak down test" will only see if the piston rings are bad?
valve stems seals are diagnosed by process of elimination. If you do a compression test and all of the readings are normal them you can assume the rings are good. An oil ring could still be leaking but they leaking under power and will smoke when running. If you have a low reading in a cylinder put a tablespoon or tow of oil down the plug hole and repeat the test, if the compression comes up it means the rings are bad, if the compression does not come up then the rings are good and either a valve is leaking or a head gasket is leaking or you have a crack. Next step is a leak down test, you pressurize the cylinder with the piston at TDC and see if it holds pressure if it does then again you have good rings and valves but if you are at this point that cylinder probably is not good and you need to look for (listen for) the leak, bad rings will blow air out the oil filler, bad valves will blow air either out the intake of or the exhaust, a crack or bad head gasket will usually cause bubbles in the radiator. Again none of these diagnose bad valve stem seals directly but if all of this passes and you have smoke on start up it is almost guaranteed it is oil leaking on top of the valve when it turned off via bad valve stem seals.

You can do seals on most any engine without removing the heads. You have to remove everything on top of the cylinder, on the 4.0 it would be the rockers and rocker shaft, on the 4.7 you would need to pull the camshaft and associated hardware. You then put that cylinder at TDC and pressurize the cylinder with air like you did for the leak down test then you can compress the valve spring and remove the spring keep and springs. Pop out the seal and replace then put it back together, drop the pressure and move to the next cylinder. It is not as easy to do on the 4.7 being overhead cam but it is possible, the 4.0 it is easy to do, do not have to worry about hitting the pistons into any valves.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #748
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

Wow... I'll pay you to come that for me. : ))) That sounds like a weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsconver View Post
valve stems seals are diagnosed by process of elimination. If you do a compression test and all of the readings are normal them you can assume the rings are good. An oil ring could still be leaking but they leaking under power and will smoke when running. If you have a low reading in a cylinder put a tablespoon or tow of oil down the plug hole and repeat the test, if the compression comes up it means the rings are bad, if the compression does not come up then the rings are good and either a valve is leaking or a head gasket is leaking or you have a crack. Next step is a leak down test, you pressurize the cylinder with the piston at TDC and see if it holds pressure if it does then again you have good rings and valves but if you are at this point that cylinder probably is not good and you need to look for (listen for) the leak, bad rings will blow air out the oil filler, bad valves will blow air either out the intake of or the exhaust, a crack or bad head gasket will usually cause bubbles in the radiator. Again none of these diagnose bad valve stem seals directly but if all of this passes and you have smoke on start up it is almost guaranteed it is oil leaking on top of the valve when it turned off via bad valve stem seals.

You can do seals on most any engine without removing the heads. You have to remove everything on top of the cylinder, on the 4.0 it would be the rockers and rocker shaft, on the 4.7 you would need to pull the camshaft and associated hardware. You then put that cylinder at TDC and pressurize the cylinder with air like you did for the leak down test then you can compress the valve spring and remove the spring keep and springs. Pop out the seal and replace then put it back together, drop the pressure and move to the next cylinder. It is not as easy to do on the 4.7 being overhead cam but it is possible, the 4.0 it is easy to do, do not have to worry about hitting the pistons into any valves.

Unread 02-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #749
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things

2008 JK Wrangler 

Andrew you down to go to jeep beach??

Insta: @bmwalive
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
AustinTexasXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #750
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

I want to... But thats a LOT of money in gas.... We will see. Sounds fun, no doubt but... We will see.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.