The first thing installed for this stage was the Summit 15x8's with 3.75 backspacing. This put the back of the wheels where thety were with the stockers and spacers but one more inch to the outside. I may have to adjust bumptops but otherwise they seem just right.
I got the Engo and the ARB to coexist mostly. The fairlead is 9/10 fullsize so it had to be modded. The verticle rollers are not far enough apart to fit under the lip of the bumper and bolt through. They are like 1/4" off per side. I can't clock the handle to fit down. It either hits the bumper or the Jeep. have to cut a hole in the top of the bumper and put it at the top. That it where it should be anyhow. The only bummer is I have to take it all apart again to do that.
I figured out a way to mount the solenoid pack and the fairlead. I will have pics when I get it done.
Excited for updates! Great build! I am also interested in how your header is holding up? I just picked up an eBay knock off for a hell of a price. I also had a question in regards to your 8.8 swap, you mentioned you set the pinion angle to 0*. Now that you are lifted, and from the looks of it going LA, are you going to adjust pinion angle by adjustable CA? Or, will you be re-tacking those 8.8 brackets to reset the pinion angle?
There hasn't been much wheeling since last June. I finally got out last weekend for the first run of the year and got to really test the suspension. The long arms work flawlessly. It's almost impossible to lift a tire now.
Yesterday our club had our annual hosting of the open house at the Gilbert MN OHV park. It's a free pass to the park for a day and we host trail rides, a lunch, and a small raffle. I rode in the back of the beginners group. There's nothing like introducing new people to the sport.
There were 2 other ZJ's there, one was there last year on 37's. I forget who built it but it's on here somewhere. He shrunk it down for road manners and now it's at about 4.5 with 33's.
The other one had a cool mod. It was built by a Jeep guru and body man. It had front damage and he cut the front up to fit an XJ radiator. I don't think it has any cooling issues and was done well. It has a very good approach angle.
In the front I had 3"HD Rusty's XJ coils. They are 8 years old now and still great, but on the ZJ with the ARB and winch I think it only gave me about a 1.5" lift and the rest was achieved with the ACOS. I removed both and installed some brand new RE 4.5" XJ coils. Same lift, (about 3.5"), with a softer ride. A note on ACOS, they do not allow water to drain from the inside if the spring post. They plug the drain hole. Mine were both full of water when I removed them.
I have been wheeling this thing a lot since my last post. I have used the Engo a few times and it works good. The long arms are great as expected. I could use limiting straps, and ran into one problem. In Moab it ate the bushing on the upper control arm mount on the axle. I had put brand new ones in when I rebuilt the axle a few years ago. I replaced it in a parking lot in Moab and went about wheeling. I could feel it failing again later that day. I let it be and drove home planning to look into it later. I know being the only joint holding the axle in position it gets a lot of stress. I am thinking about converting it to Iron Rock's small flex joint instead of rubber. I plan to call them first to see if they know why it failed so quickly. I thought maybe my caster was way off binding up things. The adjuster on the arm was hitting the housing. I adjusted that but don't know if it was the issue.
I also beat the snot out of my stock gas tank skid. It was wrapping around the tank. It needs to come off and get straightened.
I plan to add a traction devise up front soon. I am thinking a TruTrac instead of a locker. I had an Aussie for a while but I rather have a limited slip or selectable up front. he TruTrac will almost fully lock on the trail. I have seen it in action.
I also need sway control. On the trail this thing is a little too soft and leans a lot on off camber terrain.