I picked up my new parts the other day. I will take me a while to get them all in, I have to go through my HP30 thast still laying in the snow, Then, once it's ready to bolt in i will go after the 8.8.
Full Detroit locker for 8.8
4.56 G2 gearsets with master install kits
IRO adjustable lower rear arms
low ratio carrier and seal to convert my disco housing
5.2-242 tcase-44a-30x9.50x15 MT/R-American Racing Burst Rims -[COLOR="Red"]Optima[/COLOR] -E3 plugs-[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Cu[/COLOR]st[COLOR="DarkGreen"]om[/COLOR] Pa[COLOR="DarkGreen"]in[/COLOR]t-Amsoil-Addco Front and Rear-polyurethane bushings
[B]To be installed[/B]: RE gen2 discos, military battery terminals
[B]To be rebuilt:[/B] HP30
[B]To be received:[/B]
[B]To be paid for:[/B]
[B]Next on the list:[/B] complete redo of brakes and
[B]Needed:[/B] fittings, coil of brake tubing, Russel speed bleeders
A start, I installed the IRO rear adjustable lower arms yesterday. I got a little carried away on the length and had to readjust them today to get rid of vibes. All is well now and they are set at 17". Stock is 16 3/4". I also adjusted the rear IRO track bar with a full tank in it and trail gear to get it in a better position. Tomorrow I hope to dig the HP out of the snow and thaw it out.
I broke my 1/2" breaker bar and rachet the other day trying to get the driver side hub nut off. I wheeled that axle fro 4.5 years in my XJ with two Moab runs and never did replace that tiny 260 U-joint the whole time I had it. I finally gave up and pulled the shaft and bearing together. Today I finished the tear down and found some issues with carrier shims and spider gears. I won't be needing either one with the Aussie and new carrier going in.
Tonight I have to read up and start planning assembly. This is my first try at setting up gears but I have help close by if I screw it up. Randy's Ring and Pinion has lots of helpfull tips on his site. I also borrowed a good manual and set-up bearings so with paitience I should be set.
The other day I got the front gears set. I have to pull it all apart one more time and put the new bearings in. Yesterday I tore the 8.8 all the way down. I took the old pinion bearing races out and ground the outside of them down to use as set-up bearings for the new gears. I also warmed up the 4.56 ring gear and mounted it on the Detroit. Today I hope to get bearings pressed off the old carier and pinion so I can gring them down on the inside to also use for set-up. Then it's on to reassemble the rear. The front is waiting on funds for all new Moog ball joints.
I had the opposite issue, the 30 gave me no headaches so far, waiting on new balljoints. The rear was set up perfect with dummy bearings then when I pressed on the new ones something is off a hair, I hope to figure it out today and get it drivable. THis whole project has taken me a while. I also took a break the other day and replaced the radiator and water pump.
It's on the road now. I drove it about 35 miles yesterday in two drives. You have to break in new gears. Heat them up, cool them off, no towing or beating on it for about 500 miles. This thing actually moves pretty good now. Overdrive was a joke before. Now it will shift into OD at 45 instead of downhill at 60. It spins at about 2250 rpm at 65. and MPGs look like about 18-19 verses 13-14 before. I can't wait to get the front in and try low range.
I finally scraped together a little more cash for the project. First I cleaned it up a bit. It wasn't bad being from a CO. XJ with 200k. I put in all new Napa premium ball joints, new seals to convert the disco housing, and new upper control arm mount bushings. Now I just have to get the pinion bearing pressed on and rip the LP 30 apart for the locker, shafts, and knuckles.