Solomon8718's build thread - "Muddy Gorilla" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Solomon8718's build thread - "Muddy Gorilla"

Steinjager TJ tube doorsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #16
solomon8718

1998 ZJ 

Alright, so I just got started this evening. I have the front jacked up with the frame up high on jack stands, and the axle supported by another pair of jack stands. Sorry, I know the photos are a little blurry, but my cell's camera doesn't do very well in low lighting situations in terms of the auto focus.

So I'm a little worried I won't be able to get away with using the stock swaybar links... We shall see tho. If you look closely at this last picture you can see that I have the driveshaft out too. Last I made sure all the pertinent bolts and nuts was lathered with a very generous helping of liquid wrench to get ready for tomorrow.

Anyway, thats where I'm at as of tonight. Now to enjoy a cold beer and pizza.

- IRO 4.5" coils
- Bilstein 5125 series shocks
- JKS Quick disconnects
- 249 -> 242 swap
- Kolak 3" exhaust w/flowmaster 70

Selling my long arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjeeplovesmud View Post
with that said, for those i may have frustrated when i was noob, i'm sorry, but thanks for not driving to my house with a bat.
solomon8718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #17
Greengc4x4
1998 ZJ 

Beer and pizza Looks good so far man. LOve the color of your Jeep Do post pics when the lift is done!
Greengc4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #18
solomon8718

1998 ZJ 

Well, I've got the entire front axle lowered and the budget boost pucks placed on my bump stops with the springs replaced. (springs replaced not shown)

I ran into a problem removing trackbar at the axle. How do you do that!? It's like the bolt is on a spring. When you turn it, you can feel it move back when you let go of the breaker bar. That tab is also part of the assembly. My haynes manual doesn't say anything about it.
- IRO 4.5" coils
- JKS Quick disconnects
- 249 -> 242 swap

Selling my long arms

Quote:
with that said, for those i may have frustrated when i was noob, i'm sorry, but thanks for not driving to my house with a bat.
Unread 06-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #19
solomon8718

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greengc4x4 View Post
Beer and pizza Looks good so far man. LOve the color of your Jeep Do post pics when the lift is done!
Thanks dude! Yeah beer n pizza is num. :P I just gotta figure out this trackbar now.
- IRO 4.5" coils
- JKS Quick disconnects
- 249 -> 242 swap

Selling my long arms

Quote:
Unread 06-27-2010, 12:14 AM   #20
Greengc4x4
1998 ZJ 

The tab/nut thing is rusted to the bolt. Time to bust out the sawzall and cut it out. Same thing happened to two of my Jeeps
Unread 07-06-2010, 06:59 AM   #21
solomon8718

1998 ZJ 

Alright, sorry for the absence. Between a cold and the holiday I didn't get much else done. But I've got some good news and some bad news...
The good news is I was able to get the axle end of the trackbar off without cutting it.
The bad news is I stripped out the threads in the hole that the spring retainer bolt threads into. I tried repairing it with the M8 1.25 pitch tap, but it was too badly damaged. I'll have to drill and tap it for a standard 3/8-24 thread. :'(
- IRO 4.5" coils
- JKS Quick disconnects
- 249 -> 242 swap

Selling my long arms

Quote:
Unread 07-06-2010, 06:59 AM   #22
solomon8718

1998 ZJ 

Alright, sorry for the absence. Between a cold and the holiday I didn't get much else done. But I've got some good news and some bad news...
The good news is I was able to get the axle end of the trackbar off without cutting it.
The bad news is I stripped out the threads in the hole that the spring retainer bolt threads into. I tried repairing it with the M8 1.25 pitch tap, but it was too badly damaged. I'll have to drill and tap it for a standard 3/8-24 thread. :'(
- IRO 4.5" coils
- JKS Quick disconnects
- 249 -> 242 swap

Selling my long arms

Quote:
Unread 07-06-2010, 08:45 AM   #23
spidermonkey
1998 ZJ 

You can just use a self threading bolt that is slightly larger than the stock retainer bolts. I plan to do that. For now with short arms I don't even have them on. You only need them to keep the springs from falling out. It's very unlikely unless you run long arms.

My driveway build here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/spidermonkeys-98-zj-build-716209/
speedo reading x spd gear tooth count/gps speed = new spd gear for dead on accuracy
North Shore Wheelers www.nsw4x4.com
spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #24
solomon8718

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermonkey View Post
You can just use a self threading bolt that is slightly larger than the stock retainer bolts. I plan to do that. For now with short arms I don't even have them on. You only need them to keep the springs from falling out. It's very unlikely unless you run long arms.
Do you recommend any specific size? The stock is a M8 1.25, an M10 is quite a bit larger. I figured out 3/8 standard is the next closest size up from that... Could I get a 3/8 self threading to fit without drilling?
Unread 07-11-2010, 08:50 AM   #25
solomon8718

1998 ZJ 

Well, I got a lot done yesterday. The axle is all re-attached and torqued down. I also have my trackbar in and fully assembled. And last but not least, the new IRO drag link and tie rod has all been attached. All that's left for the front end is manual alignment and assembly. After that it should be relatively simple to install the lift pucks on the rear.

If you have a Hayes manual, it lies about the torque setting for the lower shock bolts rating. Do not torque them to 20 ft.lb. or else this might happen...
- IRO 4.5" coils
- JKS Quick disconnects
- 249 -> 242 swap

Selling my long arms

Quote:
Unread 07-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #26
Spike300
1993 ZJ 

looking good keep it comin

5.2-242 tcase-44a-30x9.50x15 MT/R-American Racing Burst Rims -[COLOR="Red"]Optima[/COLOR] -E3 plugs-[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Cu[/COLOR]st[COLOR="DarkGreen"]om[/COLOR] Pa[COLOR="DarkGreen"]in[/COLOR]t-Amsoil-Addco Front and Rear-polyurethane bushings

[B]To be installed[/B]: RE gen2 discos, military battery terminals
[B]To be rebuilt:[/B] HP30
[B]To be received:[/B]
[B]To be paid for:[/B]

[B]Next on the list:[/B] complete redo of brakes and
lines
[B]Needed:[/B] fittings, coil of brake tubing, Russel speed bleeders

Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #75
Spike300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #27
Greengc4x4
1998 ZJ 

^x2. How do you like that steering so far? you'll have to report back once you get it on the road and have a few miles on it. I think Im getting that setup for my 94. Looks pretty nice.
Unread 07-12-2010, 06:50 AM   #28
solomon8718

1998 ZJ 

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support.
I was finally able to get the front end aligned. The process is simple enough, but if anybody tells you its easy they are full of baloney! Especially with what that tie rod weighs lol! I had to call it quits a little bit early yesterday cause my last bolt turned out to be too short to fit all the way through both the steering stabilizer bushing and tie rod bracket. It did turn out that I used the wrong bolt on my driver side knuckle, but I rectified that and that bolt was too short too. So I resolved to call IRO today to try and figure out if I've done something wrong, before going out and buying a longer bolt. WE SHALL SEE!
- IRO 4.5" coils
- JKS Quick disconnects
- 249 -> 242 swap

Selling my long arms

Quote:
Unread 08-01-2010, 08:23 AM   #29
solomon8718

1998 ZJ 

Well I took about a two week hiatus from this project but now I've almost completed it. As of this posting I only have four not driveshaft screws to reinstall. But here's what I did:

First, I had to cut one of my old rear swaybar links off with a hack saw. I couldn't get enough grip in it with a channel-locks in order to get the top nut off.

After that I tried using a coil spring compressor, and it was my first time using such a tool. But that style compressor required being in the center of the spring and there was no way that would work. So I went back to oriellies and got the strut compressor, which worked pretty good for me. After that I installed the new IRO links and put my tires back on. (not pictured)

Thanks for looking, final picks to come tonight!
- IRO 4.5" coils
- JKS Quick disconnects
- 249 -> 242 swap

Selling my long arms

Quote:
Unread 08-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #30
solomon8718

1998 ZJ 

Alright, I'm a little bit late with final pics but here they are. BB + OTK steering + DS Trackbar. At the time of this post it is at the shop getting a professional alignment.

- IRO 4.5" coils
- JKS Quick disconnects
- 249 -> 242 swap

Selling my long arms

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.