Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 437 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 02-28-2014, 01:07 AM   #6541
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07
I am using Mobil 1 10w-30 High Mileage Full Synthetic. Blackstone Oil Analysis as shown that the oil contains 1100 PPM ZDDP. To my understanding that is a decent number. Could it be a loose rocker arm or a clogged push rod?
The 4.0 dont have rocker arms that falls out, they Are bolted in place, not same setup as the famous 4.7.
We have been experimenting with differ oils, on my friends 4.0 ZJ, it deff runs most quiet on 15W-40,,,

R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 07:28 AM   #6542
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

That really does sound like lifter tick...

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 07:33 AM   #6543
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Thomas is that a thicker or thinner oil than 10w-30?

Chris it *sounds* like it is coming from right under the valve cover. I'd guess a rocker, but a lifter could be shooting that sound right up to the top of the motor.

Big question is, what do I do from here. Run the ATF through it, clean it out? Change oil weight? Let it go, do nothing?
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 07:45 AM   #6544
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

When the lifter doesn't pump up (sticks), it creates a gap somewhere between the camshaft, lifter, push rod, and rocker arm. Due to gravity, typically the gap is between the pushrod and rocker arm, which is why you can hear the ticking at the top end. Once the lifter pumps up, the slack is eliminated resulting in a quiet valve train.

Since you JUST changed your oil and slapped on the PL30001 filter, I'd ride it out and see if anything changes. When it comes time to change your oil, revisit the situation and if necessary, consider running a little ATF through.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 02-28-2014, 07:51 AM   #6545
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Agree on the valve tick in the second video

15W-40 would be thicker, tre first number refer to thickness when cold, the lower number the colder weather it will still perform at start ups, hence why Alaska ppl use 0W-???
The second number is "thickness" at operating temp, you SHOULD stay within manufacture specs for your climate, then SHOULD be ok,,,

Idk why, but the 4.0 seems picky at oil, and might call for something ells than what manufacture listed, especially when they Get older and more worn.
We tried 10W-40 Dino, 10W-30 semi syn, 15W-40 Dino, in my friends 4.0 ZJ, just because we had it around in big quantas and wanted to flush out old motor.
Deff runs smoothest and most quiet on 15w-40 and if you aint going below freezing it wouldnt hurt anything to try, but thats really up to you to deside.

Michael, oil and or flushes Are great things and MIGHT solve SOME issues, but will never Fix real mechanicly issues, look at my engine tick, i tried about EVERYTHING, parts NEEDS to be replaced.

Do seafoam, do "ATF flush", try another oil,
THEN you will know, BTW its easy to pull valve cover and have a look,,,
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Unread 02-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #6546
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Thanks Chris for the diagram, pretty neat stuff. What I don't quite understand is why the lifter would be sticking or taking a bit of time to pump up. Is a journal semi-clogged somewhere, that area gummed up with crap? I am trying to put into words what is rattling around in my head... The lifter pumps up when it has oil pressure, and without the layer of oil it sits lower on its "place". Trying to picture how a lifter sits in there and how the oil surrounds it.

Thomas,
Sounds like the 4.0 for you liked the thicker oils due to age, wearing out etc. My biggest concern is doing damage to the motor, however minor, on cold starts going to class. I'll start it up and let it sit for 30 seconds and then I'll baby it as much as I can to school. In town, 40-45 mph, keeping it under 2000 rpms until at 200*

I am assuming in my case a sticky lifter is due to a clog or grime, not a mechanical failure? I've been trying to keep up with your motor updates, was it the cam lob failing or coming loose?
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 02-28-2014, 09:07 AM   #6547
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The lifter is kind of spongy where the push rod sits. When oil pressure is applied to the lifter, the spongy feeling diminishes as the lifter pumps up. This allows for a snug valve train, even after normal engine wear. Clogged oil passages or clogged lifters can cause them to not pump up.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 02-28-2014, 09:22 AM   #6548
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

From Wikipedia on "Hydraulic tappet"

Disadvantages:
"There are a number of potential problems with hydraulic lifters. Frequently, the valvetrain will rattle loudly on startup due to oil draining from the lifters when the vehicle is parked. This is not considered significant provided the noise disappears within a couple of minutes, typically it usually only lasts a second or two. A rattle that does not go away can indicate a blocked oil feed or that one or more of the lifters has collapsed due to wear and is no longer opening its valve fully. The affected lifter should be replaced in the latter situation."

Found some good pictures of the internals of a lifter. http://www.tuning.mbs.id.au/Engine/hyd_lifter.htm

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 02-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #6549
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07
Thanks Chris for the diagram, pretty neat stuff. What I don't quite understand is why the lifter would be sticking or taking a bit of time to pump up. Is a journal semi-clogged somewhere, that area gummed up with crap? I am trying to put into words what is rattling around in my head... The lifter pumps up when it has oil pressure, and without the layer of oil it sits lower on its "place". Trying to picture how a lifter sits in there and how the oil surrounds it. Thomas, Sounds like the 4.0 for you liked the thicker oils due to age, wearing out etc. My biggest concern is doing damage to the motor, however minor, on cold starts going to class. I'll start it up and let it sit for 30 seconds and then I'll baby it as much as I can to school. In town, 40-45 mph, keeping it under 2000 rpms until at 200* I am assuming in my case a sticky lifter is due to a clog or grime, not a mechanical failure? I've been trying to keep up with your motor updates, was it the cam lob failing or coming loose?
You wont do any harm when you baby drive it until hot like you do,,,
15W-40 wouldnt harm anything as long as its stays above freezing.
You could buy a cheap 10W-40 just as a flush quick change and see how it runs with 40 weight.
If not better, do a seafoam or ATF flush and try something ells.

I "suspect" my tick problem to be related to the small play i found i my camlobe, not loose, just a small play, idk if your cam is one piece or hollow like the 4,7's thought.

If not the cam is my issue, im going in for a compression test to determine valve and valveseals working,,
If no luck,,,,,
Pull oil pan and check conecting Rods, rod bearings.

Unread 02-28-2014, 12:59 PM   #6550
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

If I remember correctly, the cams for the 4.0's were milled from a solid rod? Who would have thought a cam lobe would come loose like that.

It is still getting in the teen and 20's here so I don't think I want to put in a thicker oil, yet.

What do you all think about running some Marvel Mystery Oil?

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-01-2014, 09:16 AM   #6551
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

4.0 is solid. 4.7 was one of the first engines to have pressed on can lobes. I think I'm remembering that correctly.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 11:58 PM   #6552
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

New news to me, didn't even know that was possible. Couldn't find much on google about it, maybe I was not searching the correct terms.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #6553
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Went to Rausch Creek Offroad Park in PA last weekend and had a great time wheeling the Rubicon. Did great on the "blue" medium trails for being barely lifted and on 31's. Used the lockers only twice when it was flexed out. The 4low and 1st great crawl over everything. I'd ride around in 4th and 5th gear at times in 4low.

Ordering Under Cover Fab Extra Clearence skid and low profile transmission mount for it next week. We were getting hung up on the factory shovel of a skid plate.

To the WJ, got it inspected the other day and came out with this invoice of "recommended services"

In their defense they were not aware of any previous service in only recommended it based on the "Mileage of the Vehicle". Saying, if it hasn't been done, it needs to be. Which is an accurate statement but, damn trying to sell service.

I paid my $16 for the state inspection and was on my way. Lol

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #6554
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
How did the MT/R K's treat you on that snowy hill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
...To the WJ, got it inspected the other day and came out with this invoice of "recommended services"...
That's a heck of a list!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #6555
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Would have made it up the hill without a problem, the skid plate was shoveling down in the dirt. That is why I could not make it up. I was in low, locked front/rear, and in 4th gear for some speed. Wasn't enough to overcome the shovel, the climb had decent ruts so, high centering. MT/R's have been great tires albeit a bit loud on the highway.

Took care of all of that in Jan 2013, (and then some, ha!). I should have fore mentioned that I *ONLY* wanted to get an inspection. Haha

-Michael-

For Sale:

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.