Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 431 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 01-27-2014, 07:32 PM   #6451
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Get a mechanic's stethoscope. They are about $10 and will help you track down the noise much much better. Invaluable tool IMO.

TBH though it sounds like a lifter/cam lobe got chomped up, 4.0 style.

billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:35 PM   #6452
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I'll see if my same friend has one, probably does. It was dark, cold, and were short on time, I just wanted him to look at it quickly. But will see if I can do that this weekend.

How does these stout 4.0's go like this, I'm a bit more disappointed that even well taken care of it is shatting a brick.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 11:17 PM   #6453
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

When i pulled my lifters out they had gone from being convex to concave but not worn through. Can lobes looked pretty good along with everything else. I know the TJ guys have opda problems but our distributor drives seem to hold up well. As far as im aware mines the original one. If you pull it out you'll have to re sync your injectors.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 11:36 PM   #6454
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

We had our ODPA fail on the trail in the 05 LJ. Looks like Chrysler replaced it with the same POS part that'll fail again. I've been reading about that whole ODPA thing since you posted about it.
Read through a lot of this http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/

Now that I've read some more, and watched these videos, my noise seems similar?

What do you all think?

How complicated is it to do that? I thought you needed the DRBIII tool to do it?
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 01-28-2014, 07:04 AM   #6455
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Removal and installation only takes 15 minutes. Syncing it requires the DRBIII tool. If you install it correctly, you'll have no issue driving it to the dealer for the sync.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #6456
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
Removal and installation only takes 15 minutes. Syncing it requires the DRBIII tool. If you install it correctly, you'll have no issue driving it to the dealer for the sync.
Well, at that rate. I might consider just having them deal with it. Removing and replacing.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 01-28-2014, 11:08 AM   #6457
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
How does these stout 4.0's go like this, I'm a bit more disappointed that even well taken care of it is shatting a brick.
They aren't as bulletproof as everyone thinks. Time spent on this forum should reinforce that.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 11:25 AM   #6458
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

^^^X2, maintainance is a preventive move, not a security for that nothing will ever brake down.
Both 4.7 and 4.0's have their problems, i realize that now after i have been around for awhile.
Still around

Anyway, worst case scenario,,, an engine swap down the Road aint to much to worry about,
The 4.0 is easy to pull, weekend project
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #6459
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
They aren't as bulletproof as everyone thinks. Time spent on this forum should reinforce that.
Well you're right on that one. Granted the majority of 4.0 problems were the 99-01 cracked heads. But in its defense, my other Jeep likely has over 330k miles on the 4.0 and its still going, somehow.

Did you take a look at the recent two videos I posted? I swear, it sounds like its squeaking more than tapping.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 01-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #6460
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Agreed. Remember my lifter incident after 87k? The PO had regular oil changes done by the dealer. Ironically, I later found out the dealer changed a lifter (not plural) for the PO at 66k (and a 242 at 80k??). Most likely, they didn't pull the camshaft and inspect the lobes. My 87k failure was probably due to Jeep's cheap fix (thanks, Jeep ).

That being said, why the failure at 66k? I have heard a time or two about these 4.0s eating lifters which negates 'bulletproof', especially considering the work involved requires removing the head.

I'm not trying to dog these things and I love mine but as said, they aren't indestructible, just as the 4.7 can drop valve seats if overheated. Both are great and neither are perfect!

Anyway, camera wasn't being kind that day but you get the point.

Unread 01-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #6461
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Thomas, I guess all you can do is maintenance and get lucky from there on. I would have never thought my Jeep would eat a lifter (*presumably*) with 120k and strict maintenance. I've been following your thread about your new 4.7 HO having issues too.

Chris, I didn't know that a lifter had been previously replaced before you had to do the tear down. Well, I don't even have words to say for that one. Shoot, how the heck did the blow the transfer case, I don't know if someone was abusing it or the dealership was ripping said person off.

The motors are great, but nothing is perfect. Actually my check engine light went away for the IAC and the Cam Position Sensor/Crank Position Sensor. Is the camshaft or lifter iron? Wonder if that was the source of the high metal?

I've got a few options, in order of likelihood:
1. Drive it, try to determine lifter or Cam Pos Sensor, then ignore it
2. Drive it and replace the Cam Position Sensor Assembly
3. Rebuild the motor, along with the trans
4. New motor, stroked

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 01-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #6462
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

With that squeak and the code, I'd guess CPS over lifter but that's all speculation without actually diving in. I wouldn't ignore it though as that second video showing the noise in sync with the engine rpm sounds crappy...

Edit: The only thing I can think of with my transfer case is the PO possibly thought Part Time was for on road and Full Time was for off road. Ultimately, the vehicle was in great shape when I bought it - nice enough that I guessed it was soccer mom driven and garaged parked.
Unread 01-28-2014, 12:21 PM   #6463
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Yeah, I am going to call the dealership today or tomorrow. Gonna have them put in a new Cam Sensor Assembly.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 01-28-2014, 12:25 PM   #6464
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Due to oil being changed so much in the last 10-15 years id say anyone with a flat tappet motor needs to pay close attention to the oil they use. In the case of our 4.0's running a HDEO is the best thing to do (Nothing special either like synthetic). The 4.7 guys dont have to worry with the same issue so any 5-30/10-30 works for them. As far as the OPDA issue goes I havent seen or heard many problems with our type of drive causing issues like what the TJ guys haveto deal with. Not saying its not possible but pulling it out and checking it wouldnt be a bad idea by any means. Only downside is seting the sync perfect but if you punch mark the drive base and the block then you should be able to get it back in almost exact. I recently aquired a Snap-on solus ultra and it does fuel sync but its $2,600 so its not pratical unless youre a mechanic (I am.)
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #6465
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirruslydakota View Post
Due to oil being changed so much in the last 10-15 years id say anyone with a flat tappet motor needs to pay close attention to the oil they use. In the case of our 4.0's running a HDEO is the best thing to do (Nothing special either like synthetic).
Rotella T-5 10W-30

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.