Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 427 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 12-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #6391
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I would go with the 245/70-17 myself. There's no need to go wider unless you have a very specific need for floatation - and wider tires tend to have drawbacks like tracking in ruts as well as a greater impact on fuel mileage + acceleration (due to increased weight and wind resistance). Plus it fits in the spare tire well nicely.

As for the rubbing - mine will rub the rear shocks when wheeling although it seems to be a non-issue now with the Moabs - which have 1/4 less backspace than stock WJ 17s. If you are having rubbing issues, a set of 1" wheel spacers might be a good idea - and will fill out the wheel wells nicely. I've wanted a set for years now but haven't been able to justify it when there are other more pressing issues, both WJ- and life- related.

billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #6392
snobrdrkid07
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

10-4. I didn't see the need for the wider tires and extra 0.5" of height. I should be okay then for the 99% streeting then. Just the only thing will be the front lowers, no tight turns!
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #6393
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1
I would go with the 245/70-17 myself. There's no need to go wider unless you have a very specific need for floatation - and wider tires tend to have drawbacks like tracking in ruts as well as a greater impact on fuel mileage + acceleration (due to increased weight and wind resistance). Plus it fits in the spare tire well nicely. As for the rubbing - mine will rub the rear shocks when wheeling although it seems to be a non-issue now with the Moabs - which have 1/4 less backspace than stock WJ 17s. If you are having rubbing issues, a set of 1" wheel spacers might be a good idea - and will fill out the wheel wells nicely. I've wanted a set for years now but haven't been able to justify it when there are other more pressing issues, both WJ- and life- related.
Good point, i didnt think about he is on stock wheels, Wider rims, and/or different BS is indeed needed to Go Wider, spacers Are a great idea to solve rubbing with factory rims.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #6394
snobrdrkid07
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk View Post

Good point, i didnt think about he is on stock wheels, Wider rims, and/or different BS is indeed needed to Go Wider, spacers Are a great idea to solve rubbing with factory rims.
Gonna go with the less expensive size and save myself the money from wheel spacers
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #6395
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Good idea, Good tires and safty Are more important than looks, Go Get new tires, you will love it.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #6396
snobrdrkid07
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Ordering at the end of the month.

Picked up some of these on black Friday sale.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 12-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #6397
snobrdrkid07
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I finally made it home for Winter Break! Going to really enjoy this month off.

Took the same route home as I did for Thanksgiving break and did even better on fuel economy, somehow. I had the Jeep packed full, more so than when I was going home in November. But, this time I managed the EVIC to read out 23.2 MPG for the whole trip, about 2 MPG better than last time. Took the same route, had more in the Jeep this time, and probably drove harder. The difference? SuperChips. I did significantly better on fuel economy without the SuperChips tune, (It was tuned for 87 performance). So that was a surprising result but, makes sense because the Superchips is probably trying to stuff more fuel in there. I know the EVIC is a "rough" number but mine reads about 1.3-1.5 mpg high. Nonetheless, without a tune fuel economy improved. Shoot, the EVIC even said I was going to get a 500 mile range.

Secondly, I have been trying to track down a clunk from the passenger side front area for the past month or two. I went over everything that I could think of and check it all out. Could not find anything loose or making a noise when visually inspecting, had tire off the ground and shaking it, etc. Mind you that I have "checked" the Jam nuts on my control arms before. But when I pulled in the driveway tonight, something made me go check the passanger side again. Sure enough, after 300+ mile highway trip it was hand loose and I could spin it freely. I have a feeling that is the culprit for the clunk. I hope I didn't ruin the threads or anything in that nature but there is still 95% engagement, the arms are almost as short as they can go. Time to bring out the big 'ol wrench tomorrow, (and maybe some thread locker?)

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 12-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #6398
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I used a big wrench and some thread locker on my track bar jam nut. That seemed to do the trick.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #6399
snobrdrkid07
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I guess it is time to find a big wrench! What type of loctite would be best for this? Figuring something that can be broken loose if need be.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 12-20-2013, 01:32 AM   #6400
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Blue loctite for getting it loose again, red if not.
Have a Nice holyday Michael

Unread 12-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #6401
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Ugh, no Loctite on service items. You think pulling off a 24mm x 1.5mm jam nut is going to be fun with Loctite on there? No way. I'd go the opposite route - anti-seize and then torque the F out of that guy. There's no reason for it to come loose other than mis-torquing in the first place. For me, the 24" crescent wrench (aka: Knucklebuster 3000) is the one for this job.
Unread 12-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #6402
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

This is a good point. The first time mine came loose, I imagine it was from not being tight enough in the first place. I know it isn't going anywhere but I'll have issues in the future busting it loose.

Knucklebuster 3000 - nice! Haha! :-)

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #6403
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Mine also came loose twice on both the JKS track bar and the JKS tie rod. Once was my fault, the other was Firestone's fault.
Unread 12-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #6404
snobrdrkid07
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I got myself a big pipe wrench and just took as much force as I could to it. It wouldn't go any further regardless if I put any more pressure on it. It sure fixed the clunking, pretty happy it was simple. Just took me awhile to figure it *what* was clunking.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 12-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #6405
snobrdrkid07
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Tires are finally ordered! Got the Silent Armors in 245/70-17's!

-Michael-

For Sale:

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.