Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 423 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 10-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #6331
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Are they grease-able?

ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #6332
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

No, they are not.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #6333
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Waiting on the Relays still for the fan.

Finally got around to changing the oil in the WJ. Nothing is ever easy, dropped the old filter into the very full oil pan... That made a big ol mess, I was pissed. Used a whole roll of shop towels to get as much as possible off the ground. After that ordeal, put the drain plug back on, filled up the new filter with oil, and topped it off with 5.9 quarts. (Will check level later, I always thing 6 quarts is just a tad much). There was about 4,700 miles on this OCI and the oil was BLACK! Sending off a sample to Blackstone on Monday and I am not looking forward to the results.

Drove around the Rubicon this weekend because the coolness factor is way higher than the WJ. I get a lovely check engine light. P0412, awesome. Seems like something is up with the Cat after the fact it was glowing hot when the jeep wasn't starting and it is currently rattling. Honeycomb structure could have bit the dust.

Quote:
"P0421 OBD-II Trouble Code
Technical Description - Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1) - Which was the cat that was glowing...

What does that mean? - Basically this means that the oxygen sensor downstream of the catalytic converter on bank 1 is detecting that the converter is not working as efficiently as it should be (according to specs). It is part of the vehicle emissions system.

Symptoms - You will likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms. The code may be more likely to occur after the engine has had numerous cold starts in the past 1-2 days.

Causes - A code P0421 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

*The catalytic converter is no longer functioning properly
*An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
*A spark plug is fouled up
Also, the cam position sensor gear snapped off the shaft, that was the official initial problem. It also managed to damage the hole according to the service records. The new Cam sensor is massive, probably as big as the Mopar Oil filter, really different from the one I have on the WJ (and what was originally in there). Turns out the coil rain was not replaced after all but, the spark plugs were. Don't know how in the world the camshaft sensor managed to snap.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 10-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #6334
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Put in the new fan relays... andddd nothing. Even with the AC running. Ambient is only 65 and the engine was at operating temp after driving. Who knows.

Anyone have any insight to this?

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 10-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #6335
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

This may be why the e-fan is not kicking on, not even getting hot enough. For whatever reason, this are the coolant numbers for my Jeep.

I was driving up and down the mountain roads and the hottest the coolant got was ~195 as you can see. I've read elsewear that the e-fan won't even kick on till just under ~210

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #6336
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Sounds like your thermostat is sticking open...
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #6337
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

: Is that also characteristic of taking a while to warm up on cold starts?

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #6338
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Yep. Your heat won't be quite as warm either.

Edit: Check out this post in my build thread and a few following it (you were the one commenting! ). You may notice other symptoms once they're pointed out to you. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...l#post15157175
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #6339
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

For comparison how long does it take your Jeep to reach operating temperature? How hot does your jeep run?

Also how do I fix this?? :/

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #6340
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I think mine is up to temp in a few-ish minutes and I believe runs around 210°F or a little lower.

Per fixing, it's super easy - two bolts on the thermostat housing and shazam! The thermostat and gasket are extremely cheap as well.

Here you can see the thermostat housing removed and the thermostat still installed (top front of the head).

Unread 10-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #6341
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I've got a ~3 miles commute and on an average day it takes about 10 minutes with lights, traffic, etc. Summer, I really don't pay attention because it's hot and I've got AC blasting. I'm barely getting up to operating temp after maybe 8 minutes of driving on a mild day, 50-60's. On winter days, I'll be in the parking garage by the time it finally gets to 195...

I always thought that they put in a cooler thermostat when it was replaced in January. But, recalling last winter and this information now, it seems like my heat was never as hot and it took seemingly forever to warm up.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 10-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #6342
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Thanks again for information Chris. I'll bookmark this post if a future incident arrises. I went back and I believe the put a cooler thermostat in for whatever reason.

On a much more sad note. (Click for full size image to read it)

This blows...

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 10-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #6343
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Hmmm... That's not good and is quite odd as well. Any thoughts on what may be causing that much engine wear?
Unread 10-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #6344
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

My best guess, while I regretfully admit this, I used to do a lot of wide open throttles while the engine was still very cold. There would be countless days I'd be late for class during the winter, and as a result the engine seemed to have taken a ton of abuse. Other than the engine not getting the lubrication needed while cold and under heavy load, I do not know what else would cause this.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:43 AM   #6345
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Weighed the WJ. Had an almost full tank of gas, 2 occupants, and a bag of tools in the trunk. Any guesses? Winner gets nothing haha.

-Michael-

For Sale:

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.