Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 373 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrieStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #5581
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ahh I'm used to underpowered trucks. I had an i4 1998 Ford Ranger 2wd... you know what though, with a 5-speed and an 8.8 LSD that was probably the most fun thing I ever owned. 80k on it I'm not quite sure why I got rid of it. I wouldn't complain so much but I also have a 98 XJ with the 4.0 and the difference just because of the extra 1000 lbs the WJ has is, well, dramatic. The XJ felt like a little rocketship. I agree with you though. Grand Cherokee 0-60: Yes. I'm going to use that one haha. I completely accept its no racecar, I have my eyes set right now on an E39 540i 6-speed as a new potential DD which should be a little better suited for that kind of stuff. We'll see where the finances go, my Jeep would be much better off if I didnt have to put so many miles and subject it to DD duty.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #5582
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyBoyWJ View Post
What size tires are those? ....and I think you should get some nitto mud grapplers ....I'm actually starting to miss my old ones ...but my Bfg's are quiet and I can't complain with traction ...they are amazing in the sand ...buried myself on purpose one day I actually had my front DS in ...put the jeep in 4wheel full time and she crawled right out yay open diffs hah

Sent from my iPhone5 using JeepForum
Those were 295/70-17 Nitto TerraGrapplers. LOL I need to get my front d.s. garbage figured out. Should have just left the Rzeppa in there!
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #5583
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
I have my eyes set right now on an E39 540i 6-speed as a new potential DD which should be a little better suited for that kind of stuff.
DON'T FALL INTO THE E39 trap!

I had this very car, it was extremely expensive to keep up. I bought the nicest one in the state with under 100k and it cost me $3k in parts alone in 10 months. All DIY labor And it still needed shocks, timing chains+guides, and control arms.

On paper, the 540i6 is a great car. What's not to love? V8, 6-speed, RWD, BMW style/ride/handling... In practice, the chassis and engine are just too finicky for mere mortals to own.

If you want a fun BMW that isn't too expensive and isn't massively unreliable, go for a 330Ci (Coupe, not Vert) 5-spd. The 99-03 are pretty darn cheap right now. 04-06 are way more expensive due to the E46 facelift and addition of the 6-speed.

Forget the ZHP edition E46, you pay twice as much to get 10 more hp and a sportier suspension. Almost M3 prices.

And for the love of all that is holy, avoid the E39.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #5584
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Haha. Why don't you tell us how you really feel...

I wondered your take on BMW. I considered one and figured I'd send you a PM if the day ever comes. I don't have the need for 4 vehicles right now though.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #5585
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
DON'T FALL INTO THE E39 trap!

I had this very car, it was extremely expensive to keep up. I bought the nicest one in the state with under 100k and it cost me $3k in parts alone in 10 months. All DIY labor And it still needed shocks, timing chains+guides, and control arms.

On paper, the 540i6 is a great car. What's not to love? V8, 6-speed, RWD, BMW style/ride/handling... In practice, the chassis and engine are just too finicky for mere mortals to own.

If you want a fun BMW that isn't too expensive and isn't massively unreliable, go for a 330Ci (Coupe, not Vert) 5-spd. The 99-03 are pretty darn cheap right now. 04-06 are way more expensive due to the E49 facelift and addition of the 6-speed.

Forget the ZHP edition E46, you pay twice as much to get 10 more hp and a sportier suspension. Almost M3 prices.

And for the love of all that is holy, avoid the E39.
Richard you know me all too well. Ask any of my roommates or Michael, I've had my heart set on an E46 330ci coupe. Completely agree on the ZHP dilemma, I also hear because of the cam profiling the Vanos units are much more prone to failure. They're cheap but not cheap enough for me to pick one up yet (8-10k in good condition) so I figured I'd get another BMW as a stepping stone to my E46. Okay I thought, maybe an E36. I'm being picky but the only one I'd want would be a 328is, sport suspension, 5-speed, 2.8 straight six... sweet. Then my roommate came in and got me hooked on the E39, for exactly the same reasons you listed. He was pushing the E34 535s but those really are a bit too old for my taste. The E39 has essentially the same interior styling as an E46 (which I'm in love with) and V8 and 6-speed manual, seemed like the perfect stepping stone. He claims the engine and tranny are solid but I haven't done enough research on them to see what the common issues are. The E46 and E36s look solid and predictable for common failures (plastic cooling system components and front control arm bushings) but I haven't looked at the E39 stuff yet. I'm actually really curious about them and seeing as you've owned one anything you say about them I will take seriously when deciding which one to get. I hate to spam up Michael's thread with this so if you want you can PM me or post back up here, you're the mod so you decide :P

TLDR want a BMW and also looking at E36 328is and E46's but E46 might be out of my budget right now. My budget is about $5k.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 11-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #5586
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I love our BMW's and Benz's, well some of them.

My Stepdad had a 2002 E46 325i, was a total POS and broke weekly. Was a beautiful car but had issues to the max. Had about 100k miles on it by the time it was sold. He traded the E46 for a 2010 Mercedes Benz CLK 350, now that has been a great car, very smooth. Has not had a single issue with it. Minus, tires, brakes, normal wear and tear. 60k miles and going strong.

Currently my Dad has a 2003 E320 in the family. 156K miles, DD, and has also been a wonderful car with no major issues. Normal maintenance, tires, spark plugs, brakes.

Another BMW we have is my mom's 2007 E90 330i which has been a great car overall. Some small mechanical issues that are not "normal" Coil rail went bad, fuel pump went bad on it, and a window regulator just recently. Some apparently common issues with the earlier E90. Almost 90k on the car and DD'd.

Overall it seems like the Mercedes that we have had are overall much better in reliability then the BMW's that we have had and still have. This is just MY case on these cars. Out of the 4 BMW's and Benz's that the family has had, still own 3 of the 4 of them the Benz's have had significantly less issues over the BMW's. The E46 was by far the worst though.

Spam away haha.

Shoot my WJ has been one of the most reliable car's that we have had. It has never once left myself, my stepmom, my dad, or anyone else who drove it stranded. *knock on wood* (It is about to leave me stranded, out of gas again! haha) Same with the Rubicon, although the thing is still practically brand new.

Land Rover (08/09 LR3 HSE) has been a lot of fun, some crap that has broken on it but nothing that would leave you in the side of the road.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 11-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #5587
JerzeyBoyWJ
2003 WJ 

So what was that a 33inch tire?? Looked pretty big ...but yeah my jeep is going in the shop Friday for a front axle rebuild ...again hopefully everything goes well this time cause I'm gonna need 4wd once I go to wyotech in January

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jerzeyboy-03-wj-build-1155698/
JerzeyBoyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #5588
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
So what was that a 33inch tire?? Looked pretty big ...but yeah my jeep is going in the shop Friday for a front axle rebuild ...again hopefully everything goes well this time cause I'm gonna need 4wd once I go to wyotech in January

Yeah, that pic was taken a long time ago and was before the Jeep was lifted. That is probably why it looks huge. 33's sounds right.

Shoot man, getting it rebuilt? Whats up with it? Vari-Lock Swap??

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 11-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #5589
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

you know, I feel like a lot of mechanics complain about the BMWs because they're hard to work on. I've been religiously flipping through the service manuals and it doesn't look difficult if you have any background in engineering. In fact some things look easier than my Jeep. I'm curious what kind of issues your 325 had? Wait let me guess... cooling system issues and suspension bushings? Theres not much I don't mind tackling but its when I pour money into my Jeep and it doesn't seem to get any more enjoyable to drive that I get frustrated. I'm doing all this work just to make it drive a little more like stock and yet still I'm not quite there in some ways.

Edit: my only thing about mercs is the image that comes along with it. They usually have very stateful front ends with a focus on the Mercedes badge. Also most I see end up being overpowered rear wheel drive muscle cars with gobs of interior luxury. Granted, I'm also describing a 540 here but I feel like BMW has the act of driving in mind more than the act of showing off.

Matt
Unread 11-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #5590
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
I'm curious what kind of issues your 325 had? Wait let me guess... cooling system issues and suspension bushings? Theres not much I don't mind tackling but its when I pour money into my Jeep and it doesn't seem to get any more enjoyable to drive that I get frustrated. I'm doing all this work just to make it drive a little more like stock and yet still I'm not quite there in some ways.
The 325 had an array of stupid things break, similar to the E90. What I can remember, the fuel pump, an issue with the computer, a fuel line itself broke, ignition coil broke. Would randomly cut off, was fixed though. I can not remember it all, and I doubt all the paper work is still lying around. What saved my stepdad is that he bought an extended warranty from the dealer that 90% of the crap that broke was covered. Literally every month it was another 1000 dollar repair.

Quote:
Edit: my only thing about mercs is the image that comes along with it. They usually have very stateful front ends with a focus on the Mercedes badge. Also most I see end up being overpowered rear wheel drive muscle cars with gobs of interior luxury. Granted, I'm also describing a 540 here but I feel like BMW has the act of driving in mind more than the act of showing off.
Well with their image, rides like a cloud, super smooth overall, (faster then my mom's bmw). Albeit that it is not as "Sporty" as most BMW's but sometimes when your a DD you don't need track like performance.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 11-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #5591
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
you know, I feel like a lot of mechanics complain about the BMWs because they're hard to work on. I've been religiously flipping through the service manuals and it doesn't look difficult if you have any background in engineering. In fact some things look easier than my Jeep.
I've had 3, none of them were very difficult to work on. I help friends with E30s and E36s and haven't had anything very difficult come up. Jeep is easier but that doesn't mean the BMWs were hard.
Unread 11-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #5592
JerzeyBoyWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07

Yeah, that pic was taken a long time ago and was before the Jeep was lifted. That is probably why it looks huge. 33's sounds right.

Shoot man, getting it rebuilt? Whats up with it? Vari-Lock Swap??
Pinion bearing went and the pinion wore down ...still keeping it open for now

Unread 11-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #5593
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
I've had 3, none of them were very difficult to work on. I help friends with E30s and E36s and haven't had anything very difficult come up. Jeep is easier but that doesn't mean the BMWs were hard.
Phew, I mean looking at things I really think I'm up for the task, I just kind of want something more of a road car so I can bring myself to appreciate my Jeep for what it is and what it isnt. Thanks for the reassurance

Quote:
Pinion bearing went and the pinion wore down ...still keeping it open for now

See at 6.5" I could see that possibly happening, but if mine is going at BB lift heights, my hands are going up in the air.

Matt
Unread 11-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #5594
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Especially the I6 models. Really, plenty of room. The V8 was a little shoehorned, so doing the coolant manifold on the back of the heads during the valley pan gasket job (ugh) was a bit tricky. I think E46 330 and WJ would be a great DD + wheeler/camper combo.
Unread 11-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #5595
JerzeyBoyWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86

See at 6.5" I could see that possibly happening, but if mine is going at BB lift heights, my hands are going up in the air.
Well mine went while I wasn't even running my front DS
So I'm guessing it was just a regear failure but the shop is covering everything

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.