Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 372 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 11-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #5566
WJHype
2001 WJ 

Duratracs are the way to go. I have about 6000 miles on mine with no signs of wear and they are still really quiet. Great on and off the road, they look great too.

Unread 11-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #5567
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Thanks for all the input guys!

Chris - It really seems as these tires have worn, they have gotten worse. I thought that the lift was 100% to blame for ride quality/wondering on the highway. I know that the a-arm is bad but I can not no longer say that the lift is 100% to blame for ride quality. Seems like the tires are a huge factor now that all this info has surfaced about them. They are quite squashy and I'll bet that doesn't help on quick maneuvers or lane changes on the highway. I keep the PSI around 32 last time I checked. These are not load range E's, mine aren't at least. 245/75-16 is about a 30.5 inch tire and I am going for 255/70-17 at the moment which is a 31 inch tire. A half inch bigger should not be too bad.

Bronson - The Kevlar's are awesome tires, we have them on the Rubicon as I've probably said before. They are load range E and tough as can be! We had a little mishap with a tire and what should have punctured a side wall, barely scratched the surface on the Kevlar's! Just too much for me for a street Jeep!

Daniel - As of right now, I am between the Silent Armors and GG AT2's. Sounds like you had a good experience with them! Thank you for your input! Wondering if I am going to rub with 31" inch tire! How much lift did you run with those?

WJHype - Duratrac's are awesome as people are saying! Just do not think such an aggressive tire is needed for a DD! Have your run Silent Armors or any other tire that you like?
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #5568
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
Daniel - As of right now, I am between the Silent Armors and GG AT2's. Sounds like you had a good experience with them! Thank you for your input! Wondering if I am going to rub with 31" inch tire! How much lift did you run with those?
I have the KOR 2.5" BB on old UC springs. So it might be 2.75" of lift.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #5569
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ View Post
I have the KOR 2.5" BB on old UC springs. So it might be 2.75" of lift.
That is about where I am at, should be able to get away with a 31". Although I don't want to rip out fenders!
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 11-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #5570
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yeah, skip the 265/70-17, just too big for where you are at. Plus wider is not better for anything except sand and mud - for floatation. Narrower tires will not follow ruts as badly and will not reduce mpg as badly. They'll ride better and have less effect on accel/braking due to less weight.

Plus with a 4.0 on 32s with stock gearing... you'll be hating life. Keep it simple.

Grabbers are probably the best aggressive budget all-terrain. Silent Armors aren't going to give any better traction or wear, but will be more durable and quiet. It's essentially the MT/R w Kevlar carcass with an AT tread pattern. It's a premium tire at a premium price. One of my best friends just put them on a 100-series Land Cruiser (33" size) and loves em. Search around. Both are great tires.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #5571
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Granted I had 3.55s you really don't want to try and maintain 70+ on the highway with 32s else you'll find yourself downshifting everywhere. Funny though, you'd think putting the 4.0 closer to its powerband would be better but with the aero drag (bigger tires, higher off the ground) and extra rotating weight of the tires, holding a higher speed on the highway involved alot of bogging and downshifting. It was tolerable if I was in the slow lane doing about 60-65 though and I was driving with the truckers. Really did not feel confident passing anybody. It'll build speed if you need to but your foot will be down almost all the way. My advice is concurrent with Richard's.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #5572
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Well, I should just get a V8 then! Haha, alright so I am looking in the 255/70-17 (31") or 245/70-17 (30.5") range then. Wont go any bigger then a 31's.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 11-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #5573
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Matt, I was just thinking this morning about how people say the 4.0 is such a dog. I never have that problem. I feel off the line it's pretty good, especially considering I have to jump out into 50 mph traffic off my country road every day. If I'm not careful, I'll get my tires spinning quite a bit.

This past weekend, I had no issues keeping it steady at interstate speeds. Once I got into the "I'm going way to fast" zone, I would notice speeding up would take a bit to shift back into overdrive but only on occasion.

Keep in mind, this is with 245/75R16 Duratracs on 2.75" of lift, 3.55 gears.

Not sure if ya'll are just driving like race car drivers... Either that or I have a diamond in the rough WJ...

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #5574
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
Matt, I was just thinking this morning about how people say the 4.0 is such a dog. I never have that problem. I feel off the line it's pretty good, especially considering I have to jump out into 50 mph traffic off my country road every day. If I'm not careful, I'll get my tires spinning quite a bit.

This past weekend, I had no issues keeping it steady at interstate speeds. Once I got into the "I'm going way to fast" zone, I would notice speeding up would take a bit to shift back into overdrive but only on occasion.

This is with 245/75R16 Duratracs on 2.75" of lift, 3.55 gears.

Not sure if ya'll are just driving like race car drivers... Either that or I have a diamond in the rough WJ...
30.5's are probably right at the point where it doesn't have to kick out of OD. With stock tires and rims on my WJ she has problems on some of the steeper hills on the highway but can usually hold its own most of my trips. I haven't done more than a 20mi trip on the 32s on the highway because they're out of balance but in my experience I was able to hold speed on flat ground if I wanted to pass or any hill you could notice by sight of eye required a downshift. I ended up getting quite proficient at just hitting the OD button before I hit the hill then I was fine to get up it. I can't quite say its a dog once it spools up but if you have to stop at an on-ramp (several at home have stop signs) and go from 0-65 to safely merge in, you get those couple seconds in first gear where the Jeep is way out of its powerband and you can feel the engine struggling to deal with the WJ's weight. Then you can feel the powerband and even though your foot has been down for a couple seconds you get an extra nudge into the seat and the speedo really starts climbing. Once you've past that and you're in the 4.0's powerband picking up speed isn't too bad. IMO the car could greatly benefit from closer spaced gears and maybe an extra second gear like the 545 has.

This is the kind of on-ramp I'm talking about, where you have a stop sign and about 4 feets worth of space to get to 60 before you're in the slow-lane. It makes getting into fast moving traffic quite a task. Speed limit on this road is 60 and the average speed of traffic is 70
capture.jpg  

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #5575
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I mean, I can still do 100+ in the Jeep. Did a burnout the other day (coming off a wet dirt road onto slick pavement, added with crap tires) haha and lit up the "one" rear tire! You could say that I am trying to destroy my tires. And whatever other component un-intentionally.

When the 4.0 shows its weakness is towing and when loaded down. The 3.73's are an added bonus and should have been on every I6 and the 4.10's would have been nice with a tow package I6, but that is just my opinion! I can still crank 75+ on the highway up a hill kicked down. So that is good enough. It just going to take longer to get into OD as you said around town. Usually will drop down around 45 mph into OD. 31's will increase that number, but only slightly.

Acceleration on to the highway and passing on the highway SUCKS. Like sometimes I am on the floor and can not safely merge. I have used this as a reason to get an Overland too.

I've just gotten used to kickin the OD button on the hills and letting hit hold 3rd w/ locked TC up the big hills on the Highway. I still think 31's are going to be the way to go cause they are gonna look awesome! haha

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 11-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #5576
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Wow... Stop signs on and on-ramp. I learn something new every day.

I guess now that you both described how your WJ's drive, mine is probably quite similar. I must be used to going slow. My last two trucks were a 93 F250 with the 4.9 straight 6 and a 96 F250 extended cab with the 351W. Neither were by any means 'fast'. Our TJ is spunkier than my WJ and it is powered by 4 angry squirrels.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 11-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #5577
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Jeez Matt, that entrance ramp, forget it in the WJ w/ a 4.0

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 11-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #5578
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
I mean, I can still do 100+ in the Jeep.
I didn't know a 4.0 WJ could see those types of numbers...

I always tell people:

Chevrolet Corvette 0-60: 3.8 seconds.
Jeep Grand Cherokee 0-60: Yes.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 11-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #5579
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
I didn't know a 4.0 WJ could see those types of numbers...

I always tell people:

Chevrolet Corvette 0-60: 3.8 seconds.
Jeep Grand Cherokee 0-60: Yes.

Yeah I did that run on a closed road... etc etc. It took awhile but it got there.

I like, a lot! "Yes" hahaha. Quickest I've ran was about 9 seconds if I remember correctly.

Mine also isnt afraid to jump out of the hole

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 11-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #5580
JerzeyBoyWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07
Well, I should just get a V8 then! Haha, alright so I am looking in the 255/70-17 (31") or 245/70-17 (30.5") range then. Wont go any bigger then a 31's.
What size tires are those? ....and I think you should get some nitto mud grapplers ....I'm actually starting to miss my old ones ...but my Bfg's are quiet and I can't complain with traction ...they are amazing in the sand ...buried myself on purpose one day I actually had my front DS in ...put the jeep in 4wheel full time and she crawled right out yay open diffs hah

Sent from my iPhone5 using JeepForum

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jerzeyboy-03-wj-build-1155698/
JerzeyBoyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.