Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 346 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTruc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 09-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #5176
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07
I asked because I have been getting mixed thoughts on it. WJJeeps says Mopar P/S fluid only. Some say only 100% necessary if you have the hydraulic fan. Then depending what is in there, you can't mix the two. I went to a dealer today and they tried to sell me atf-4, then when I asked for the the mopar specific p.s. fluid it came up as another type. So its been a little confusing and I've tried to do some research on it.
Go Mopar specific PS fluid....

R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #5177
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk View Post
Go Mopar specific PS fluid....
I'd like too, however that would require the entire system to be flushed to get the ATF out.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #5178
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
I know on the V8 WJs with the hydro system that you need the special fluid but I haven't heard of any problems running ATF in the i6 WJs. I read somewhere that in 04 Chrysler started using ATF in their PS systems so I wouldnt be surprised if that what Michael has had in there all along.
Here's the deal - the I6 and the V8 both use the same power steering pump with a different reservoir attached. They both use the same steering box. And for 1999-2000, there was no hydraulic cooling fan on the books whatsoever. Power steering fluid was specced MS-5931 for the entire range of WJ production before the hydro fan was even conceived. And yes, for the WK, the MS-10838 spec is ATF. But it was never claimed to be backward compatible. There would be a TSB for that if it were true.

Stick with what is right. What is guaranteed to work. And don't trust dealers. They *should* know what is right, but shoot, my dealer-maintained Overland came with ATF in the TC, 80W90/no FM in the diffs, and an oil pan drain plug tightened to 150 ft-lbs just to keep it from leaking (rather than replace a $3 plug).
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #5179
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

Alright, well after looking at all my records, the ATF4 has been in there from the factory. So I'm not sure what to do here. I'll probably just suck some out and replace with more ATF4 and see if that helps. If not, I'll just have the dealer drain, flush, and refill with Mopar spec p.s. fluid.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 09-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #5180
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

No way that's original fluid at 108k if it's that color.
Unread 09-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #5181
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

Have been thinking about that more and more there just no way the dealer didn't do it. I'll look through it again.

Edit: @78k miles records show that the power steering and among other fluids were "inspected"

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 09-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #5182
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Dealers make mistakes all the time. As I said before... my WJ came with ATF in the transfer case and no FM in the diffs.
Unread 09-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #5183
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

Note above edit.

Well since I can't do the Turkey baster method cause can't mix fluid. So how do you drain all fluid, flush with new fluid, drain it again, and then fill with new fluid? Haha

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 09-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #5184
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07
Note above edit.

Well since I can't do the Turkey baster method cause can't mix fluid. So how do you drain all fluid, flush with new fluid, drain it again, and then fill with new fluid? Haha
I'd say pull the return line and put a shop vac to it

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum because I can!
Larryftmfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #5185
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So I've been talking with Michael and it seems as if we have near identical steering/lift combos aside from his JKS trackbar. As such I figured I'd hop on a rough highway and mounted up my camera to take a video to show you guys what we both are experiencing by steering shakes/wobbles. I sent this video to Michael and this is apparently just like what he's getting. It really only does this when you hit a pothole or a deep drainage ditch on the side of the road, and only above 45mph.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #5186
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

Thank you Matt for posting this here as well. Yes, this is the amount of wobble that I am getting when I hit a pothole, indented manhole cover, or something really rough where just one side is deflecting. And that what was shown above is the extent of it. That's what Matt and I are trying to get rid of. Maybe when you see it, you will think, "ohhh that's what you're experiencing, that's something to not worry about." Or, "ohh, that shouldn't be happening" Not sure, but now since there is a video you all can see what we have been trying to describe haha.

Same suspension stuff:
OME HD's
Bilstein 5100's
Moog HD TRE's
Moog HD Adjusting Sleeves

I have the JKS TB and thats pretty much it on the differences.

Matt and I were throwing around some ideas:
- The Moog Adjusting sleeves are too thick and causing that. Too much "punch" to the steering
- ????
- Need more caster.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 09-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #5187
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

On another note, found this out today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualmanj View Post
I've had the same problem with my JKS bushings. I've used the IRO bushings for a year and a half and it's just now starting to get a bit of play in the frame side. And they are only $5 for one end instead of the $60 or whatever the KOR one is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
Are you saying that you used the IRO TB Bushings in your JKS track bar?
Quote:
Originally Posted by qualmanj View Post
Yes, I contacted IRO about it and they said they were the same size. Got them and put them in and they fit perfectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
I now extremely regret buying KOR bushings....

Well, if those KOR bushings ever go bad... I know where I am getting my next set! (So mad right now)

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 09-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #5188
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

So the IRO bushings DO fit the JKS track bar. Interesting...
Unread 09-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #5189
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

"Oh no! My steering is too communicative!"

Yes, when you hit bumps, you will feel it in the steering wheel. The firmer you make everything, the more you'll feel.
Unread 09-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #5190
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Lol... Well now that Richard has seen that and has not freaked out telling me to get my Jeep off the road because its going to kill me.... I feel alot better . It doesnt really bother me all too much but if theres something wrong I'd rather take care of it sooner rather than let it wreak havoc on the rest of the system. That aside I am now saving for adjustable front arms now that the A-arm is all paid for. Michael I advise you take the same route.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.