Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 342 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #5116
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07
What do you mean by "you people" haha, I'm kidding. But, you are completely right, going for maximum ride comfort!
"You of all people" not "you people" lol!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #5117
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

No no I see what you did there. Man I really want to pick up those Iron Man CA's from KZ... Killing me, cause its such a great deal!
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2012, 01:19 AM   #5118
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I've been jeep'ing around the internet and I found out that the Liberty had the 45rfe with the 3.7 V6... I swear, why did the WJ have to get that 42re trash.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 08-29-2012, 01:52 AM   #5119
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

What you described up a few posts about the wheel still giving noticeable feedback over bumps is a sign to me that you might still have something loose in the front end. I see your replacing the balljoint on the rear A-arm because of wandering which is definately a good start. Do you have a noticeable clunk coming from the rear?

I still wonder about your upper control arm frame side bushings. They could cause all the symptoms you've mentioned including feedback over speedbumps and wandering on the highway.

I think the 545rfe is great, and the liberty got lucky with the 3.7 being a newer generation engine has a different bellhousing bolt pattern than the 4.0 for the adaptability. At least I think that's the reason :P
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #5120
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I'm not sure what it would be in the front end now. Track bar is tight with these new bushings, hard bushings (KOR). Tie rods are brand new, all 4 Moog HD tie rods, the thing with the tie rod upgrade is... I replaced the adjusting sleeves with heavy/think ones from Moog. People with the same setup said that I will have feedback in the steering wheel because of how stiff it is. Like a BMW. But, you're right, shouldn't have that 1,2 or even sometimes 3 wobble/shimmy over SOME bumps. I had my ball joints looked at and they said there were fine and didn't see any movement. So I'm kinda at a loss here. I'm still going to try and replace my SS, hopefully this weekend and see if that makes a difference. (I've got a RC SS on there now, 2 years old). Not sure what else to do...

The guy from the off road shop that helped me out this summer said in a perfect world, when you hit a bump the steering wheel should deflect then go right back.

As for the a-arm, its destroyed, frame side bushings are toast and clunk constantly. A-arm needs replaced. So its kinda no question there. That's on the list to be fixed.

Guess the liberty got lucky with the 3.7 then.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 08-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #5121
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

If it makes you feel better, I feel a little more shimmy in mine now as well. It's very similar to what you describe. I just started noticing it again a few days ago.

If I can get my 'chores' done and sneak out to the garage Saturday (bunch of family coming to visit), I'm going to check that everything is torqued properly and maybe throw in the TJ lower adjustable CA's. If that does nothing, I'm down to front uppers and ball joints (though Firestone never said anything about bad ball joints on the last alignment, and we all know they can't wait to point out something that's even close to being bad).
Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #5122
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

You talking about when you hit some bumps? And then you are feeling what I'm feeling?

I'd love to get some adjustable control arms going, every one I've talked to, whether in person or on JF has said that new control arms will greatly improve drive-ability. My friend from from VT Jeep club said, "you can have your front end made out of gold but, still have DW related issues with stock control arms/bad caster when lifted." There was a guy from the club who had lifted his TJ and was fighting DW, replaced everything, and didn't do control arms, and when he did, it was gone.

I've been told by multiple friends that's its almost never going to be 100% perfect and I'm chasing dreams to a point. Am I getting DW, no. Is there some weird shimmy on occasion, yes. Is that gonna kill it for the time being, no I don't think so.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 08-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #5123
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Yeah when I hit bumps, I get a little more shimmy now than I was getting after I replaced my TRE's.

Full adjustable CA's would definitely help. I don't think installing only lowers will do me a ton of good unless I have bushings that have gone bad but since I have them, why not. Mine shimmy really isn't too bad for me to put much time into yet and because of that, I doubt I buy upper adjustables. My plan is to go a bit bigger than adjustable CA's, though that isn't happening for a looong time! I have another jeep waiting for me to buy first (and boy is it a gem!).

Unread 08-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #5124
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Yup, the stiff tie rods and sleeves definitely give more feedback and transfer more bumps into the wheel. Guess that just "is-what-it-is" in that case.

Well, I don't see me going any higher or getting long arms. Ohhh do I want but, reality it isnt going to happen. For a long long time. If my Jeep needs more $$$ so be it, ill dump more money into it. :/ So some new short arms it is.

What Jeep do you want to buy?!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 08-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #5125
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

My FIL has a 79 J-10 Honcho with a 360, T-18A manual trans, D20 transfer case (twin stick), D44's front and back - posi in back, 3" lift on 33's, with a new paint job. He has been looking to sell it because he never really drives it. As a wedding gift to me, he said he would give it to me for a very, very low price. So... I'm in the process of (quickly) paying off some bills so I can get the J-10 out of his garage and into mine.

Unread 08-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #5126
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
I found out that the Liberty had the 45rfe with the 3.7 V6...
Only for 1 year. 03-on got the 42RLE, same as the Wrangler automatic.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #5127
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Chris - That sounds like a really sweet Jeep, I would want that in my driveway too! Especially for wedding gift price!

Billz - Didn't know it was only for a year but I guess that'd be the year to get. Whats the difference between the 42RE and the 42RLE? (Other then just the "L")

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 08-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #5128
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

I'm sorry if I come off blunt, it just can get frustrating communicating over the net without being able to get my hands on it. If I could I feel like I could help you find exactly hats causing each symptom in short order.

I personally believe whoever said it'll never ride the same is full of it. My jeep rides and drives better now with all the ridiculous stuff i've done to it than it ever did back in my d30 days. I can do 200 miles each way on our trips with 1 hand on the steering wheel doing 80+ miles an hour if I so choose. The reason is because I keep my jeep to a higher standard of maintenance than I used to. I havent run a steering stabilizer in probably 4 years either, i've never had the need on my D44 or 609.

The rear A arm being shot is definately a good place to start on getting the jeep acting tighter for sure. Thats probay causing a lot of the floaty feeling on the highway but I would not expect it to make the steering wheel wobble as you described.

That is why i mentioned the front end. You said you don't know what it could be in the front end in the post right after I mentioned the upper control arm frame side bushings being suspect. I showed you a picture of exactly how ridiculously blown out those bushings can be, and how its damn hard to inspect while mounted on the vehicle. I think its silly to just ignore those and pretend they cant be bad. They wear just like any other joint and can/will cause the same issues as any worn out bushing. I'm not guaranteeing they are causing your problems, but completely ignoring them is the wrong plan of attack.
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #5129
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

No no, I am just happy you are on here helping as much as you can. I completely understand how frustrating it can be to not physically be here and get hands on with the Jeep. I also have no doubt in my mind if you were able to get hands on you would be able to find every little issue causing whatever problems.

For ride comfort/differences. I guess there are two things here. Feeling how it rode soft and squishy stock, compared to riding more firm it is now. As for handling on the highway/drive-ability I would like to believe I can get it to feel like how it did stock while driving. I thought that you had to run a SS no matter what or the front end was going go all crazy. I am also being super picky about my Jeep too, which I like to be, I want it to be running, and running well for as long as possible.

I agree on the a-arm for being the cause of the floaty-ness on the highway, (haha, I like that word). That may need the FIRST thing that is replaced for sure. Looking to go for the IRO adjustable a-arm. Because the a-arm would be a great improvement for the time being. Because the Jeep is currently still drive-able with out and major issues.

I did not mean to come off like that about the front control arms. I am not intentionally ignoring them. I do know they can very well be an issue here. Random question, can the arms even wear out on a stock Jeep. right? You are also right that ignoring them is NOT the way to go, at all. I would love to get under there and remove them and inspect them in the near future. (Which I really do plan on doing) Even better is that i'd love to just replace them with Adjustable arms. I am just currently facing the problem of money/time to do what is needed to be done. I just started college and need to get settled in for a week or so before I can start tearing apart the Jeep.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 08-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #5130
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

The arms don't wear out, the bushings do, same as any other bushing in the Jeep. Time to pull one or both of the arms and take a look.

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.