Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 341 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #5101
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Now that you've towed that trailer a little, how's it feel? The WJ is coming along nicely. I'm glad you got the OME coils on. The shorter ones from a friend, right? It's been a while since I've been around these parts. If you want tight steering, get a 4Runner. It drives a lot more civil, but it doesn't feel as off-road worthy as my stock ZJ. I miss the ol' girl, but having something more road-worthy is nice since that's where I spend most of my time. It also has as much grunt as the 4.7 in a Dub so that helps coming from a 4.0.

Have you checked the torque on your trackbar? Get it tighter if you can. I think the aftermarket bushings are a known weak point on a lot of these, JKS for example. KOR sells some replacements that might help with that. It's worth considering? I'd ask Nick if I were you. He seems to have good insight on these things.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #5102
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

He's already got the KOR bushings
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #5103
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

The OME HD coils handle the weight very very well and there is almost no sag when putting the trailer on. See my friend has a lifted 2006 4Runner with the 4.7 and I am jealous of the power and the steering. Oh well. Sometimes I wish I had independent front suspension. Because I too spend the majority of the time on the road. My WJ defiantly stands out in the crowd now with the lift and modifications. That is a big plus!

The torque on the track bar is over 100 foot pounds on the frame side and around spec on the axle side. There is not movement in the track bar as of now, except for the slight bushing flex. (Significantly less bushing flex compared to the JKS bushings) I had the JKS bushings in there and they sucked immediately and now I have the KOR bushings in there and they are much better.

I still should replace my SS with the Moog STB SS that I have sitting in my closet. My RC SS is propbably pooped out by now with 30k miles, just cause its RC.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #5104
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
He's already got the KOR bushings
This is what I miss when I'm not on the forum for a couple of months. Eh, I just feel kind of like avoiding the whole Jeep boards as I don't have a Jeep, and it makes me miss it. I'd like to have a JK Unlimited if I could, the 2012 with the Pentastar V6, but who am I kidding? Unless I win the lotto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
The OME HD coils handle the weight very very well and there is almost no sag when putting the trailer on. See my friend has a lifted 2006 4Runner with the 4.7 and I am jealous of the power and the steering. Oh well. Sometimes I wish I had independent front suspension. Because I too spend the majority of the time on the road. My WJ defiantly stands out in the crowd now with the lift and modifications. That is a big plus!

The torque on the track bar is over 100 foot pounds on the frame side and around spec on the axle side. There is not movement in the track bar as of now, except for the slight bushing flex. (Significantly less bushing flex compared to the JKS bushings) I had the JKS bushings in there and they sucked immediately and now I have the KOR bushings in there and they are much better.

I still should replace my SS with the Moog STB SS that I have sitting in my closet. My RC SS is propbably pooped out by now with 30k miles, just cause its RC.
I'm glad the OME coils are working out well for you. You're right, they are a bit stiff. I think that MD would be best unless you have lot of accessories weighing you down or if you tow a lot. Then good shocks can only do so much to help smooth out the ride. It's never going to ride like stock again though.

Well, try swapping out the SS then and see what happens?

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #5105
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
This is what I miss when I'm not on the forum for a couple of months. Eh, I just feel kind of like avoiding the whole Jeep boards as I don't have a Jeep, and it makes me miss it. I'd like to have a JK Unlimited if I could, the 2012 with the Pentastar V6, but who am I kidding? Unless I win the lotto.

I'm glad the OME coils are working out well for you. You're right, they are a bit stiff. I think that MD would be best unless you have lot of accessories weighing you down or if you tow a lot. Then good shocks can only do so much to help smooth out the ride. It's never going to ride like stock again though.

Well, try swapping out the SS then and see what happens?
Aww, sorry that you don't have you Jeep anymore. I would really miss mine too if something where to happen to it. The new JK's or WK2's are really nice and then that new v6 really takes the cake with that one.

Yeah, maybe in retrospect I should have gone with the MD OME Springs but I did get the HD's from a member for basically dirt cheap and I could not pass that up. Maybe MD in the front and HD in the rear would have been best because I do two often in the summer. The bilsteins are really nice and do make it ride nice. When it had more weight in it, combined with the OME HD and the 5100 shock combo it rode really soft and smooth.

What has been throwing me with the new ride the most is that the front end is now "overly" tight. I did the springs, shocks, track bar, tie rods, and sleeves, basically all at the same time, image the night and day difference of the ride is from stock to that. The Moog TRE's and Moog HD tie rod sleeves are extra stiff and provide much more feedback into the steering wheel. I.e. anytime you go over a bump, that translates directly into the steering wheel. So that has thrown me for a loop for awhile because I have not been used to that much feed back into the wheel. Then over some of the big/awkward bumps at a good speed, the wheel will go back and forth once or twice and then I freak out. Even though that is apparently just the nature of the beast. I went through a horrid DW experience with the LJ and don't ever want to repeat that for the WJ. So that is why I like flipped out at first. I am just getting used to the wheel moving over bumps now compared to how it really did not do that before.

The bushings are kinda tweaked on the SS so that probably does not help. Will address that soon. For now, put putting from apartment to class, I really dont see speeds over 50 and the majority around campus is 20-30 mph.

I am still in need of a new a-arm badly - swaying on the highway and clunk 24/7 while driving/coasting/hitting bumps.

I want some front control arms to get the caster set back to stock amount and get some better drive-ability back.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 08-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #5106
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Roommate brought this up to me... Using arms to correct the caster is just going to make the front driveshaft angle worse. If you're already getting a new driveshaft no big deal. Else offset BJs are a good option which I'm looking into myself seeing as I need new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #5107
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

Yup, that's true. Its going to bring the pinion angle back down. Not worried about it when I get the new d.s. The rzeppa is on its way out anyways. I'd rather have the caster corrected anyways.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 08-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #5108
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

From my experience, I'd rather have correct castor and no death wobble over my rezeppa anyday lol. I'm with you on that Michael
alwaysHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #5109
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

Yup that's exactly my thoughts haha. I still need to sway my SS for the Moog one. Some guys in the club were like you can still try that and see what happens. I don't have DW or anything but could help on some of those awkward bumps that currently make it shimmy 1-2 times back and forth, which is really not that big of a deal. Most bumps it just goes over w/o much issue.

Also talked to the guys about the rear upper control arm (a-arm). And I said about it swaying around on the highway. Since the a-arm acts as the track bar, they were like ohhhhh yeah that'll def make it sway around on the highway. Hopefully before Christmas.

Control arms for the front will be hopefully soon too, if not by Christmas. Want to go with iron rock arms. Need to figure out what kinda ends to get on them though.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 08-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #5110
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

You only get rubber ends with IRO Arms. Go with Iron Man arms instead. You could get that whole set of 6 that KZ has for sale for $350
Unread 08-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #5111
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

I was recommended to get Poly over rubber. What does Iron Man use? And if I do get arms. 99% sure ill do Iron Man.

I'd love to pick up those arms from KZ, "supposed" to be saving money and or focusing on school. Errhhh quotations.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 08-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #5112
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I would actually recommend the opposite. Poly has no flexibility to it compared to rubber and will put all the stress on the body/axle mounts instead of bushing.
Unread 08-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #5113
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

What do the Iron Man arms have? Rubber?

Didn't think about all that force going into the mounts instead of bushings.

Iron Man also has heims joints too.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 08-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #5114
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07
What do the Iron Man arms have? Rubber?

Didn't think about all that force going into the mounts instead of bushings.

Iron Man also has heims joints too.
You of all people I would think would want the extra dampening of rubber bushings. Poly bushings can increase ride harshness

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #5115
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

What do you mean by "you people" haha, I'm kidding. But, you are completely right, going for maximum ride comfort!

-Michael-

For Sale:

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.