Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 337 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #5041
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07
Only way water cab get in there is if its submerged for a long period of time. The boot seals on the top and bottom are very tight.
I guess if you don't ever plan on flexing your ok

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum because I can!

Larryftmfw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #5042
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Even at full droop, the boots still don't pull off. They are plenty long for when they are fully extended. No worries there.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 01:05 AM   #5043
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

x2 on voiding the warranty. Here's how I see it: Bilsteins come with a limited lifetime warranty, and they come with boots on their shocks. If having a boot was actually bad, then Bilstein would have more warranty claims on their product. I don't think they would put something on (which costs money) to have it incrase the number of warranty claims on the product.

Also, they come shipped at full extension and the boots aren't popping off in the box. They easily accommodate full shock extension, so as much flex as the shock will give him is going to be fine for the boot.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #5044
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Thanks Billzcat, haha.

Update on the Track Bar. Got the KOR bushing into the JKS bar and did a side to side back and forth with the wheels, the movement in the bar is almost zero or very minimal. Takes a lot less steering wheel movement to translate down to the road now.

They also road force balanced the tires for me. They were still out of balance after merchants did it twice *face palm*. My friend showed the me how to use the machine and how it works etc. Showed me the road force and the up and down movement measurements and forces. Was very cool, another great friend to have like that. (They are especially happy when you bring a dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts fresh/hot off the line)

Overall a much tighter feeling. I'm still getting used to the road feedback because of the tie rods but it should be good now

Lastly, Will, my friend at the shop who did the track bar and tires, recommended that I'd start to shop around for some front adjustable lower control arms to get the caster back to around factory specs.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 08-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #5045
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Adjustable CAs? Seems like a waste at 2.5" lift. But if you must, go Iron Man. Extremely stout, and competitively priced.
Unread 08-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #5046
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Hopefully the work done today takes care of everything. If it's still goofy, Will might be on the right track about the adjustable arms.

Speaking of which, I still need to test fit the TJ adjustable lowers on the WJ. I'm thinking they will fit with a washer as a spacer (for anyone wondering, I didn't buy a set expecting them to fit. They were given to me so I figure, may as well see if they do fit for future reference considering they are laying in my garage collecting dust!).

Edit: In response to Billz, how much do you think the angles are off at 2.5"? Just curious. I'm not extremely well versed in adjustables yet.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #5047
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

The TJ lowers will definitely fit, just the mounting point at body and axle is wider than the TJ. You're on the right track using a washer.. but a best practice would be to use a hardened washer and sandwich the mounts with add'l washers.
Unread 08-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #5048
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1
Adjustable CAs? Seems like a waste at 2.5" lift. But if you must, go Iron Man. Extremely stout, and competitively priced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager
Hopefully the work done today takes care of everything. If it's still goofy, Will might be on the right track about the adjustable arms.
Edit: In response to Billz, how much do you think the angles are off at 2.5"? Just curious. I'm not extremely well versed in adjustables yet.
I'm closer to 3 inches of lift now. About 2.8 inches of lift to be exact. With that lift I have about 4.2 degrees of caster. If that helps answer your question Chris. Where spec for it about 6.5 to 7.5 degrees. So the control arms would help put it back where it needs to be. I have also decided to get Iron Man arms after, looking are them.

Quote:
The TJ lowers will definitely fit, just the mounting point at body and axle is wider than the TJ. You're on the right track using a washer.. but a best practice would be to use a hardened washer and sandwich the mounts with add'l washers.
That's pretty cool about the TJ arms, that'd they work with the WJ.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 08-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #5049
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

About a degree off. Mine were barely out of spec when I had a MonkeyStone Alignment done at 2.75". The didn't even comment on it, like "meh, it's just a touch out of spec".

What with all the front end work yours has needed there Mr. Kid, I wonder if you've been curb-hopping too much and something is bent. 4.2 caster is like... 4-5" lift territory. But if your caster was that far out when stock it might explain some of the steering issues you've had.
Unread 08-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #5050
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Thanks for the tip!! I'll remember that if I ever get under than and throw 'em on! It's 'spring cleaning' time at home so the jeep might have to wait a few more weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
I'm closer to 3 inches of lift now. About 2.8 inches of lift to be exact. With that lift I have about 4.2 degrees of caster. If that helps answer your question Chris. Where spec for it about 6.5 to 7.5 degrees. So the control arms would help put it back where it needs to be.
Quote:
4.2 caster is like... 4-5" lift territory.
I just looked at my last alignment specs from a month or so ago. I'm at 4.4-4.5 with 2.75" of lift as well... Hmmm...

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #5051
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
About a degree off. Mine were barely out of spec when I had a MonkeyStone Alignment done at 2.75". The didn't even comment on it, like "meh, it's just a touch out of spec".

What with all the front end work yours has needed there Mr. Kid, I wonder if you've been curb-hopping too much and something is bent. 4.2 caster is like... 4-5" lift territory. But if your caster was that far out when stock it might explain some of the steering issues you've had.
Well I won't deny a few curb hops here and there. But I will say that I've never slammed it into a curb. Always have been gentle with it. Do you remember you caster degree?

When I did tie rods, my old ones weren't even bad. I just wanted to upgrade. My ball joints don't have play in them. The front end issue was the JKS bushings being too soft. Then me toasting the stock track bar. I need to pull my previous alignment sheets and see what amount of caster I had pre lift.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 08-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #5052
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Err I guess I could consider myself lucky my Jeep hasn't had an alignment in 30k miles... Way back before I owned it... Before any of the new lift and tie rods. Then when I did the tie rods I did a measuring tape allignment with my roommate... Which was difficult because the LCAs made it hard to measure center to center on the rear of the front tires...

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #5053
04Overland47

2004 WJ 

Why haven't I subscribed?!?! Always go to your profile to look at the build thread, I'm stupid!

Youtube Channel
WJ Thread
04Overland47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #5054
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Alignment pre-lift specs for caster. I had 5.7* degrees caster left and 5.5* degrees caster on the right. Specified Caster range is 4.8-6.3 degrees. Cross caster was 0.2* pre lift and spec range for cross caster is -0.5* to 0.5* So I lost about 1.2-1.3 degrees of caster with the lift.

Thanks for subscribing! Hahaha!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 08-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #5055
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

To those who want close up pictures, or were interested in the WJ Rough Country adjustable a-arm.

forumrunner_20120814_011057.jpg

forumrunner_20120814_011046.jpg

forumrunner_20120814_011106.jpg

forumrunner_20120814_011119.jpg

I don't like the factory frame bushings, ehh. Also the out of place area where it mounts over the axle. I think ill still go IRO for sure.

-Michael-

For Sale:

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.