Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 330 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 07-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #4936
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702

Bolt may not have been tight enough when the bar was installed originally, which would cause premature wear on the bushings. Could also be that the ID of the sleeve was too big for the bolt, again causing premature wear.
When I put it in, I had forgot to grease the bushing, yet didn't have that much play. When I took it out and greased it, the bushings were still very tight and had to press the sleeve out. Then I greased it then put it back. Now I'm getting that much play... idk.

~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #4937
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

trackbars with bolts other than stock will always have a little "play" unless you go with a JJ - urethane and rubber wear out and squeaks... A JJ may transmit road noise which would be an annoyance with some folks as well. IMHO

Personally I am looking to do this with a TRE on my HP JK30....

pic stole from MR Baine on Pirate

tretrackbar.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
When I put it in, I had forgot to grease the bushing, yet didn't have that much play. When I took it out and greased it, the bushings were still very tight and had to press the sleeve out. Then I greased it then put it back. Now I'm getting that much play... idk.

Also I was told JKS sent out a bunch of trackbars with weak bushings - I was also told if you call them they will send you replacements for free depending how old they are. My JKS did this as well but I never replaced them, just figured I was going to replace it with some KOR hard bushings to prevent them from wearing out. ALSO try drilling a pilot hole for a grease zerk so you can periodically grease them to prevent wear.
wj4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #4938
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

Right, they will have "some" play. Compcrasher posted his WJ with the stock track bar with a little bit of play. Then compared to my JKS the play was "excessive". I dont want to go JJ's because that is probably too much. I may have to go with KOR bushings because they are stiff and should give only slightly, because they are harder. On tuesday I am going to make sure the bolt hole is okay. And if the hole is okay, that means is basically all bad bushings. Then I will go for the KOR hard bushings, that should give me the stock track bar stiffness.

I just drove about 70 miles to my dad's house, about 60 miles on the highway at about 65 mph average speed. Jeep road pretty solid and was able to stay in control while going over bumps. Which is impressive with how much play I currently have. BUTTTT, I was swaying all over the road, was so hard to keep the Jeep straight, I KNOW that has to be because of the Track Bar. Am I right? I have GOT to get my play down to stock amount if not less.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #4939
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

What do I need to do to fix this? New u-joint, new seals? Or do I just put it back together and call it a day?
forumrunner_20120728_113622.jpg   forumrunner_20120728_113631.jpg  

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #4940
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07
What do I need to do to fix this? New u-joint, new seals? Or do I just put it back together and call it a day?
New moog u joint for sure! Don't forget that boot too

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum because I can!
Larryftmfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #4941
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

All the money I'm putting into that front drive shaft. 10 bucks. That's it.
forumrunner_20120728_145041.jpg  

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #4942
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Quote:
All the money I'm putting into that front drive shaft. 10 bucks. That's it.
Should of got the moog! What about that cv boot?

Unread 07-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #4943
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

Moog joint was 50 bucks. Sorry, didn't wanna blow that on a p.o.s. d.s. anyways. As for the boot. Ill smear some grease on the boot and hope that will keep it from becoming any more stressed. When the c.v. goes. Ill switch over to a double cardon. Can't afford to do it now and my current one will still work for now.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #4944
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Moog joint was 50 bucks. Sorry, didn't wanna blow that on a p.o.s. d.s. anyways. As for the boot. Ill smear some grease on the boot and hope that will keep it from becoming any more stressed. When the c.v. goes. Ill switch over to a double cardon. Can't afford to do it now and my current one will still work for now.
50?? I paid 18 for mine where did u go

Unread 07-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #4945
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

Must have looked at the wrong thing. Idk. But that's all they had there. 10 bucks for a lifetime warranty on it. Good enough.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #4946
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Must have looked at the wrong thing. Idk. But that's all they had there. 10 bucks for a lifetime warranty on it. Good enough.
It'll have to be lol

Unread 07-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #4947
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

KOR super hard track bar bushings are on their way along with a tube of mineral oil for the bushing lube.

Kinda excited to get those in, and tighten up the track bar. In conjunction with the new tight tie rods, should only have to move the steering wheel a slight amount to translate down to the tires.

Going down to the off road shop tomorrow to check out, bolt holes and ball joints and control arms.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #4948
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Quote:
KOR super hard track bar bushings are on their way along with a tube of mineral oil for the bushing lube.

Kinda excited to get those in, and tighten up the track bar. In conjunction with the new tight tie rods, should only have to move the steering wheel a slight amount to translate down to the tires.

Going down to the off road shop tomorrow to check out, bolt holes and ball joints and control arms.
Did you order the set with the sleeves?

Unread 07-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #4949
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryftmfw

Did you order the set with the sleeves?

No, there was no need to.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #4950
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Sorry it took me a while to get back to your thread! You definately have some excess movement at that frame side track bar bushings, I have no experience with Kevins but harder bushings should help out for sure. The pop in the floorboard/gas pedal....if I had to throw a shot in the dark I would say control arm bushings. The sway you describe sounds a LOT like how my jeep used to drive on short arms, the upper control arms had never been removed from the jeep let alone had a bushing replaced. Needless to say, the frame side bushings were SHOT when I pulled the short arms out to install claytons so long ago.

You might need to unbolt the control arms to see the frame side bushings, but if they are anything like mine were 6 years ago, it's worth it! If you have any slop in the balljoints also, that will cause wandering as well so good thing you're getting it all checked out. Unit bearing is the term for your front wheel bearing assemblies. They wear out like wheel bearings on any vehicle, and have to be replaced if they start to have slop, causing wandering similar to shot balljoints.
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.