Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 329 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 07-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #4921
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Without being able to hear it myself the pop is hard to diagnose, but lets see how recently you've inspected/replaced things on this checklist:
Frame side CA bushings (upper and lower)
Axle side CA bushings (upper and lower)
Track bar bushings (sounds like it's a new JKS?)
Tie Rod Ends (on drag link and tie rod)
Balljoints
Unit bearings

If everything on that list is in good running condition and bolts are tight, you'll have a jeep that rides and feels as tight as stock.

Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #4922
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I took videos again of the Track bar movement. But in these videos it did not make the sound that I am hearing and feeling. Don't know if I had mentioned that before, but I can also feel that pop in the pedal/floor...

For your Checklist:
1. What am I looking for in the control arm bushings? How do I check?

2. Here are videos of the JKS Track Bar that has about 500 miles on it. I do not seen any movement in the bolts. Just a lot of movement in the bushings. Again, the popping sounds that I hear while driving around, did not occur in either of these videos. Weird.

Watch in HD. Video of the Frame Side JKS Bar #2

Again, watch in HD. Video of JKS Bar Axle side #2

3. I have 4 brand new Moog HD Tie rods with new heavy adjusting sleeves. So I'd doubt those are an issues.

4. Ball joints - I have not looked at them yet. Could those make a pop sound that id feel in the floor?

5. Unit bearings? Is that something to do with axle shafts?
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #4923
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

For your #4 yes they would

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum because I can!
Larryftmfw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #4924
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I am taking the Jeep into the off road shop with my friends on Tuesday. We are going to look at ball joints, track bar bushings, track bar holes, control arms, all of that. Hopefully that will get me on the right to track.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #4925
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

Your frame side has a lot of movement
alwaysHI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #4926
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysHI
Your frame side has a lot of movement
Yeah it does. I'm not sure if that's all bushings or the sleeve is moving around too

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #4927
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

Take your bolt out on the unibody end, drop the track bar down, put just the bolt in the mount and see if you can wiggle it in there. If it has play, it's wallowed. Mine had quite a bit of play, give it a shot, and if need be weld a washer.
alwaysHI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #4928
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysHI
Take your bolt out on the unibody end, drop the track bar down, put just the bolt in the mount and see if you can wiggle it in there. If it has play, it's wallowed. Mine had quite a bit of play, give it a shot, and if need be weld a washer.
You got it man. That's exactly what I'm going to look for. I'm just not going to touch it until I take it down to the shop on Tuesday and then we are going to asses everything.
- Track Bar
- Track Bar bushings
- Track Bar mounting holes
- Ball Joints.
- Control Arms.
- Broken u-joint on front drive shaft.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #4929
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Bronson man I did what you were saying with mine and there was a decent bit of play but nothing was wallowed... like the inside of the holes still had white paint on em from the factory spray so i dunno if that all works

I'm pretty much with Greg on this one figure out your trackbar (way too loose looking from the video on the frame side) and also get your ball joints professionally checked out and see whats up. Yes bad balljoints will transmit clunks through the floor (mine do) and it sometimes sounds like its coming from the back. Unit bearings are the wheel bearing hub assemblies on the front axle one on each side and axle shaft passes through them. Not hard to replace... requires less removal than ball joints.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #4930
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I would say you have a bit too much movement on the frame side. This is my Jeep. Excuse the meowing... my power steering isnt too quiet.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #4931
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86
Bronson man I did what you were saying with mine and there was a decent bit of play but nothing was wallowed... like the inside of the holes still had white paint on em from the factory spray so i dunno if that all works

I'm pretty much with Greg on this one figure out your trackbar (way too loose looking from the video on the frame side) and also get your ball joints professionally checked out and see whats up. Yes bad balljoints will transmit clunks through the floor (mine do) and it sometimes sounds like its coming from the back. Unit bearings are the wheel bearing hub assemblies on the front axle one on each side and axle shaft passes through them. Not hard to replace... requires less removal than ball joints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86
I would say you have a bit too much movement on the frame side. This is my Jeep. Excuse the meowing... my power steering isnt too quiet.
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCE3G8r2FO0&list=UUpI5_Oyci4_qSPr73OrE9yA& index=1&feature=plcp
Just watched your video. That is the amount of play that'd I'd like to see with the JKS bar. Don't think its going to happen with the stock JKS bushings either. My bolt hole doesn't really show a sign of wallowing. But then I'm not 100 percent sure. Will find out next week.

My nut on the bolt doesn't move...

Greg is a boss, he knows what's up. I'm going to run down that list for sure.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #4932
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Way too much movement on the frame side IMO.
Unread 07-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #4933
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702
Way too much movement on the frame side IMO.
What could cause that tho? Maybe something's binding and causing it?

Larryftmfw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #4934
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Not sure what's causing it to have that much play. Or if anything is binding. The steering has felt stiffer recently, don't know if that's related.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #4935
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryftmfw View Post
What could cause that tho? Maybe something's binding and causing it?

Bolt may not have been tight enough when the bar was installed originally, which would cause premature wear on the bushings. Could also be that the ID of the sleeve was too big for the bolt, again causing premature wear.

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.