Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 328 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #4906
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
I'm not sure what that is? I'm running a regular old JKS bar.
Double shear means that the bolt is set up as follows:

Bolt head> bracket > trackbar bushing > bracket > nut.

Single shear factory setup on a ZJ/TJ/XJ/etc (not sure about the WJ) is:

Nut> bracket > TRE end of trackbar.

The quick explanation is that double shear is typically what most aftermarket setups utilize because it's stronger and splits the force on the bolt across two metal brackets instead of one.

If you're not able to get the torque wrench to click on 90 lb/ft on the axle side, I'd be willing to bet that it's not tight enough. Trade the torque wrench for a breaker bar and cheater bar if you can't physically put enough force on the torque wrench. Also, did you pull the bolt and trackbar entirely then run the bolt back through to see if the hole has wallowed out at all?

Unread 07-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #4907
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

The way its is on the WJ is: bolt head, frame, tb, frame, nut. The nut isnt shifting around so I would not think that it is wallowed out. I took a impact gun to it yesterday and its around 100 ft-lbs now.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #4908
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
I still may get the KOR bushings, what do you think?
The KOR Bushings may help. It's hard to say really. If you've ruled everything else out, they're worth a try!

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #4909
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager

The KOR Bushings may help. It's hard to say really. If you've ruled everything else out, they're worth a try!
Yeah the might. I just drove it again at 34 psi cold and its much better then it was. It doesn't want to try and dw automatically at 50 MPH. Im wondering if my tires wore funny...
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #4910
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
The way its is on the WJ is: bolt head, frame, tb, frame, nut. The nut isnt shifting around so I would not think that it is wallowed out. I took a impact gun to it yesterday and its around 100 ft-lbs now.
Did you pull everything and check it like I said? Best way to be sure.
Unread 07-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #4911
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
Did you pull everything and check it like I said? Best way to be sure.
I've had it out a few times now. The holes look fine. I will take a video if the noise later today after work. Ill put the camera under the front and just turn the wheels back and forth to x2 check everything. I don't understand how it wallow out when I havent had any actual full out DW.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #4912
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
I've had it out a few times now. The holes look fine. I will take a video if the noise later today after work. Ill put the camera under the front and just turn the wheels back and forth to x2 check everything. I don't understand how it wallow out when I havent had any actual full out DW.
It could wallow out but not be big enough to allow for enough movement for full-on deathwobble.

If you're not getting death wobble, you need to get under yourself while someone else moves the wheel and touch all of your joints (TRE, trackbar, etc) to make sure that things are not moving. The slight movement you get probably won't be readily apparent without doing so.
Unread 07-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #4913
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702

It could wallow out but not be big enough to allow for enough movement for full-on deathwobble.

If you're not getting death wobble, you need to get under yourself while someone else moves the wheel and touch all of your joints (TRE, trackbar, etc) to make sure that things are not moving. The slight movement you get probably won't be readily apparent without doing so.
Man, that sucks. :/ how do you fix it?

I am probably going to do that today. I will have my video camera under there and check for things. Especially the track bar. Because fortunately I am not getting full out death wobble

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #4914
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

You can fix it by welding on some proper sized washers...

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #4915
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager
This is true. You know what guys. I forgot about my friends who own a performance/offroad shop. Ill call them later today and I'm sure they could help me out with this track bar situation. (I have not confirmed that it is wallowed, I doubt it is, but they can look at it too and fix if needed)

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #4916
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
This is the best solution. Done it on a couple of Jeeps and worked every time.
Unread 07-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #4917
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I think I am going to weld in some washers. Regardless if the bolt holes are bad or not. Just for good measure. Any chance anything is wrong with the axle side mount?

I am going to give my friends a call about welding that in there. The guys hat own the off road shop. They should be able to help me out.

I need to know what size washers to get. Thickness, material, inside diameter and outside diameter. Also I may get a new grade 8 bolt.

Sorry I've been extra 'stressed out'. Between the jeep giving me crap and one of my best friends and roommate being in the hospital. I've been really just been over my stress limit.

Still working on getting that video of the track bar later today.

Planning on doing an oil change and having the ball joints professionally looked at this weekend

Future note, if all goes well I may get some rough country adjustable lower control arms. Because my friends who own the off road shop are a rough country dealer and may be able to hook me up with some arms for cheap.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #4918
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

The only thing I'm thinking is my track bar holes are very wallerd! But it hasn't caused a death wobble yet

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum because I can!
Larryftmfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #4919
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
I think I am going to weld in some washers. Regardless if the bolt holes are bad or not. Just for good measure. Any chance anything is wrong with the axle side mount?

I am going to give my friends a call about welding that in there. The guys hat own the off road shop. They should be able to help me out.

I need to know what size washers to get. Thickness, material, inside diameter and outside diameter. Also I may get a new grade 8 bolt.

Sorry I've been extra 'stressed out'. Between the jeep giving me crap and one of my best friends and roommate being in the hospital. I've been really just been over my stress limit.

Still working on getting that video of the track bar later today.

Planning on doing an oil change and having the ball joints professionally looked at this weekend

Future note, if all goes well I may get some rough country adjustable lower control arms. Because my friends who own the off road shop are a rough country dealer and may be able to hook me up with some arms for cheap.
You need to check the axle side of the mount the same way as the body side. Odds are, the axle side is the issue. The metal for the mount is thinner and I have only seen the hole wallowed out on that side.

In terms of hardware, the stock bolt size on a ZJ is an M10 IIRC. Never owned a WJ, but the D30 is fairly similar between the two. Go to HD/Lowes/Tractor Supply and track down a washer that is tightest on this bolt- it won't neccesarily be an M10- may be M8 or a standard size, and use that to weld in place. I would definitely replace the bolt at this point as well.

No need to waste the money to get the ball joints looked at. Jack up one side with the wheel still on the Jeep, and wedge a pry bar under the tire. If you have anything more than a CH of play vertically in the tire, you probably need to do ball joints. The allowable standard is somewhere around 1/32-1/16" of movement.
Unread 07-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #4920
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702

You need to check the axle side of the mount the same way as the body side. Odds are, the axle side is the issue. The metal for the mount is thinner and I have only seen the hole wallowed out on that side.

In terms of hardware, the stock bolt size on a ZJ is an M10 IIRC. Never owned a WJ, but the D30 is fairly similar between the two. Go to HD/Lowes/Tractor Supply and track down a washer that is tightest on this bolt- it won't neccesarily be an M10- may be M8 or a standard size, and use that to weld in place. I would definitely replace the bolt at this point as well.

No need to waste the money to get the ball joints looked at. Jack up one side with the wheel still on the Jeep, and wedge a pry bar under the tire. If you have anything more than a CH of play vertically in the tire, you probably need to do ball joints. The allowable standard is somewhere around 1/32-1/16" of movement.
I'd be really surprised if the axle side was the issue. Usually on the WJ it is the frame side where I see people weld washers onto it. None the less ill have them both checked out. Not sure, wonder if someone else can say.

Ill see if someone can chime in on the bolt and washer size. Ill need to get all of these parts prior to starting to take things apart.

Alright maybe ill do that too when I get a chance later today.

-Michael-

For Sale:

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.