Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 317 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #4741
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Yes, it always is with the jeep. Its a never ending project. The list gets a little more far fetched as it goes on. But the most important stuff is at the top. Hope to get as much done as I can before I got back to school.

Check out www.hornblasters.com, I will eventually get a kit and do on board air at the same time with the setup. I planned on mounting the horns up under the Jeep, around the frame rails and that should keep them out of harms way.

Ill have to look into radio shack some more for a CB setup. May do that while I'm at VT

~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #4742
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

I'll look into different horn locations but I'm going to mount my compressor in the spare tire wheel well.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum because I can!
Larryftmfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #4743
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Akrobatiks (spelling?) Jamie's WJ, he has train horns in his Jeep. If you can find his build thread, he has pictures of them under his Jeep somewhere.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #4744
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Got mulch today, fun.
- Jeep towed it very well
- Springs handled the weight great
- Bilsteins were amazing
- Tail wag with crap a-arm was horrible (Very close to just buying the IRO a-arm)
- Transmission didn't skip a beat. (Kept it out of OD the entire time)
- Brakes were spot on and took the load with out an issue.

After doing all that work, was to lazy to get to the track bar. I was messing around JF and looking at other Jeep models and I do have to say that the "fully-boxed" WJ control arms are pretty dang stout compared to the TJ/XJ/ZJ for example.

Also ordered a Blackstone Labs Oil Analysis Kit, interested to see what is going on internally. Hope to get that in the next week or so, around the time I am going to change the oil.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #4745
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
I was messing around JF and looking at other Jeep models and I do have to say that the "fully-boxed" WJ control arms are pretty dang stout compared to the TJ/XJ/ZJ for example.
That's the truth! The hydroformed control arms are immensely stiff compared to the open, stamped steel arms used in anything else. It's a shame that the aftermarket's approach to making replacement parts was to take the open style arm and weld in an additional plate. Either go Mopar on these or go with something tubular.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #4746
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

It is! Good job Jeep on that one! Shame on aftermarket people, haha. If I do go aftermarket arms one day, I do like the IRO arms. I'd like to share my friend's TJ front upper CA and LCA after a wheeling trip. I don't know what it would take to do that to a WJ Control Arm.
bent.jpg   link.jpg  

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #4747
JerzeyBoyWJ
2003 WJ 

IRO arms are very nice ..very heavy duty ,nice welds , and bushings are nice aswell ...only thing is with the IRO arms you have to use washers/spacers on the outside of the bushing in order to bolt up and mount the arms to the bracket ...but its no biggie and doesn't harm the performance of the arm

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jerzeyboy-03-wj-build-1155698/
JerzeyBoyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #4748
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Unacceptable. Suing the bug for damage. Muhahaha. Thought that was funny, usually bugs like that get stuck in the radiator. Never seen one stuck like that :P
forumrunner_20120716_112425.jpg  

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #4749
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyBoyWJ
IRO arms are very nice ..very heavy duty ,nice welds , and bushings are nice aswell ...only thing is with the IRO arms you have to use washers/spacers on the outside of the bushing in order to bolt up and mount the arms to the bracket ...but its no biggie and doesn't harm the performance of the arm
The lower control arm bushings not wide enough for the WJ LCA mount?

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #4750
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yeah, they make them the "normal" size to fit everything else. The WJ control arm mounts are like .100" wider than all other Jeeps. My only problem with the IRO arms is the solid bushings and the price. They look cheap until you make them adjustable. At that point, you might as well get the Iron Man arms.
Unread 07-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #4751
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

And that TJ... looks like he was going too fast and hit a rock with the lower axle mount. Ripped it right off the axle tube and collapsed the UCA to boot. Oops!
Unread 07-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #4752
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

It was 180 dollars for WJ Adjustable Front LCA's from Iron Rock. Is that a fair price? I thought that was a decent price. Adding a washer shouldn't be a big deal.

As for the Guy in the TJ, he is in our off road club and he is the nicest redneck you'll ever meet. He is also in architecture school at Tech, which take alot to get into haha. But he wheels hard and has fun with it. Rock would be the most likely cause.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #4753
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

It's not a bad price, but the Iron Man arms are the same price and built with solid stock. And from there it's just a little more for a single-Johnny Joint arm (which is ideal if you take it off-road). We had this discussion before - solid rubber bushings have no place on a solid axle. Bushing compliance is required for flex.
Unread 07-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #4754
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1
It's not a bad price, but the Iron Man arms are the same price and built with solid stock. And from there it's just a little more for a single-Johnny Joint arm (which is ideal if you take it off-road). We had this discussion before - solid rubber bushings have no place on a solid axle. Bushing compliance is required for flex.
Solid stock meaning a solid piece of tubing? I haven't seen iron man arms before. Heard of but, haven't seen. Will look them up after class.

And the JJ were road capable and Daily Driver capable verison compared to the heim joints.

I do recall most of this from your talk about new control arms for your WJ

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #4755
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The WJ control arm mounts are like .100" wider than all other Jeeps.
It's funny you bring this up. Hypothetically, if my father-in-law dropped off some adjustable control arms for a TJ in my garage this past weekend, would they fit on the WJ assuming a washer was placed in the mount to snug everything up?

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.