Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 306 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #4576
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryftmfw View Post
Hmm strange maybe your bushings shifted?
I know right? That does not seem right? Bottom line is that JKS needs to go in ASAP

~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #4577
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yep. Off-center steering wheel is proof your track bar is toast.

You could take about 0.010" of the length of the JKS metal sleeves and it would be a perfect fit. Just a light touch with a grinder. But few people have the skill to make it come out nice and flat in doing so. By the time you get it flat, you're too short. I would just install it and crank the bolts down good and tight like everyone says to do and see where you're at. It wouldn't be vastly popular if everyone had major issues with it.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #4578
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Right, I knew something had to be doing that. Yay for toast track bar. Theoretically, nothing that I could have been done to the steering wheel by unbolting and bolting the track bar back could have done that.

I had a suspicion that it'd be a very extreme amount to grind off. So ill let it be and just try to get the JKS in there. What torque did you put the bolts at?

I guess you only really hear about a product is when people have to b**** and complain. XD
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #4579
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Well, try it at 75 (spec). See how it works out.

After that I just got in there with the breaker bar and reefed on it. If your stock bolts are in poor shape I wouldn't recommend reefing too hard.
Unread 07-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #4580
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Ill give that a shot.

When I pulled the axle side bolt, looked okay just a little rust on one side. Speaking off, did you read my note on the axle side bolt being tapered?

The frame side bolt looked fine. The parts that were exposed.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #4581
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
Chris, did you order KOR bushings?
I did indeed order them. They have been sitting on the counter for over a month (apparently, storing jeep parts on the kitchen counter is not something that makes wives happy - write that down).

I'm actually planning on installing them tonight. I haven't had time to mess with it with the wedding/honeymoon and what not. We just got back in from Jamaica Sunday night which means I should now have some time for the jeep! I'm going on a camping/rafting trip this weekend and driving 3.5 hours away so I figured I'd spend the week trying to get everything in order. I'll let you know how they turn out!

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #4582
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Oh that's right, I remember now haha. Ill write that down

Interested to see how the KOR bushings do when you get a chance to put them in. Man, i swear Kevin is making a killing on the mark up on that set. I think I am going to set my track bar the same length as yours. I think a 1/4 inch of lift difference is well, not that much haha. I would think that the JKS will have much less slop then my current bar does. Hopefully. Congratulations on the wedding/honeymoon by the way.

How did you manage to get the frame side bolt of? Any tips or what did you do exactly? Do you need to put a wrench on the back side or can you just take the nut off?

Other then re-centering steering wheel, everything else should still be okay?

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #4583
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Thanks for the congrats!

The frame side bolt is a pain. They say you can pop out the bump stop. With that out of the way, it's no big deal. I haven't gotten mine out and wonder how hard it will be to install it back in. I usually remove the nut (with a wrench on the other side) then slide the bolt out while mushing the bump stop a bit. It's not easy but it works. Maybe someone else can chime in, perhaps before I go through the process again tonight!

Everything else should be OK besides the steering wheel becoming off center.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 07-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #4584
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

You have to squeeze the bump stop really hard to get it past the barbs that hold it in. Once it is out, clean it and grease it, it will be very easy to reinstall and remove again if needed in the future.
Unread 07-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #4585
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I've got a buddy who will hopefully come over tonight to help me do the track bar. I'm probably running on borrowed time with the stock one. Hopefully we can get it out and get the new track bar in.

Ill keep the bump stop tip in mind, along with that method of getting the bolt out. Would it be okay if I turned the wheels almost all the way to one side to get the pitman arm out of the way while I get to the frame side bolt? Any issues with doing that? I can get my big bar in there with the pitman arm out of the way.

I also put in my rear shocks, easy as pie compared to this track bar issues lol. Rides so much better. Can't wait when the rear shocks are broken in a bit. Another check mark on my list. Feels good to get things done! The 5100s were only a tad longer then my stock shocks?

Also I remember we were talking about garage heights and roof racks. My garage opening is 82 inches. Seems small to me. Its better tight anyway
forumrunner_20120710_142007.jpg   forumrunner_20120710_142017.jpg   forumrunner_20120710_142028.jpg  

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #4586
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I just measured mine last night as well! Unfortunately, I was on the phone when I measured it so I can't quite remember what I came up with . I *think* it was 82.5" to the lowest point.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #4587
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Oh okay hahaha. You think it'd be okay to have the wheels turned when I do the track bar so the pitman arm will be out of the way?

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #4588
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I doubt it really matters which way the wheels are pointed when you replace the track bar. Take one out and slap the next one in.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #4589
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I didn't think so either. Just wanted to ask, another opinion is always good. Like I said I am doing the same length as you for the track bar, Chris. I'm actually at 2.75 inches of lift in the front.

Hoping this track bar will be the last piece to the puzzle. Then re center steering wheel and hope for the best.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #4590
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

That should be good. I'm right at 2.75" as well.

Edit: I'm sure you know this but I did it wrong the first time - the threaded end goes at the axle side. Once you get it set, throw a tape on and check to see if you are centered. You may decided to spin it one way or the other to dial in the axle just right. Once you're happy with it, tighten 'er down. Make sure the jam nut is good and tight too. Mine worked loose and creates an interesting *thunk* when you turn.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.