Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 289 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 06-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #4321
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreed21 View Post
6 months ago.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using JeepForum
Not sure man?

~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #4322
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Thanks for the pics. The original tie rod and drag link are .125 wall so there's a pretty decent improvment in wall thickness.

Can you do an ID measurement on them? That's what the prongs are for that are above the display, near the in/mm button. If it's too late, that's ok too.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #4323
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Is this it?

forumrunner_20120617_001609.jpg

I would also like to point out that the 'grey' part of the sleeve, the main part, that the ID does not change at all and that the thickness of the tubing is significantly more in the center where there are no threads.

Edit: My calculations give the main part of the sleeve a wall thickness about 0.23 inches! It is tapered down on the ends, BUT the inside is the same ID all the way through. They are very thick!
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 06-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #4324
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Perfect.
Unread 06-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #4325
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Great! I added some more info above in case you missed it.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 06-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #4326
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

So you have 1.376 OD on the main body with .906 ID (or more in the non-machined center). Looks like .235-wall tubing. It's probably .25-wall tubing, just the ends are bored to accommodate stock-type TREs.

That's a HUGE improvement over the stock .125-wall tubing. I'll be getting this for sure when I do the TREs. This is a note-worthy upgrade for both tie rod and drag link and should not only improve feedback, but also durability on the vulnerable tie rod. Now the JKS is .375 wall-tubing so it's not quite THAT burly, but still a mod worth doing.
Unread 06-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #4327
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Shoot man, it is DOUBLE the factory stuff. I am very pleased to hear this news, you can not go wrong for freaking 20 bucks! While it may not be as thick as the JKS it is still pretty dang awesome for a tenth of the price! Shoot this is probably already overkill. But, if it is worth doing, it is worth OVER doing! Glad I could help out.

Those numbers varied slightly with 1.375 OD and 0.900 ID being the average. Those numbers apply to both the Tie Rod sleeve and Drag Link.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 06-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #4328
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Very nice! There moog tre's right?
Larryftmfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #4329
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07
IRO 3 Inch rear sway links will also be here on Monday, thank you AlwaysHI!
Hahah you welcome!
alwaysHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #4330
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
So you have 1.376 OD on the main body with .906 ID (or more in the non-machined center). Looks like .235-wall tubing. It's probably .25-wall tubing, just the ends are bored to accommodate stock-type TREs.

That's a HUGE improvement over the stock .125-wall tubing. I'll be getting this for sure when I do the TREs. This is a note-worthy upgrade for both tie rod and drag link and should not only improve feedback, but also durability on the vulnerable tie rod. Now the JKS is .375 wall-tubing so it's not quite THAT burly, but still a mod worth doing.
Yeah, JKS bars still get bent; mine got bent.

It is a good thing I did not buy it new, it came with axles, cause I would not want to spend that much money for it to bend.
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #4331
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
Just a quick tip from the ex-machinist in me - When measuring the thickness of just about anything (especially wall thickness on a tube like this), only use the beveled tips of the caliper. That's where the calipers will be most precise for you. Use the thumbwheel and apply light pressure - you'll be able to make those calipers flex a lot if you use too much pressure.

As for the OD - all raw stock runs oversized. So if you need a 1.375" part, you buy 1.375" stock which measures out at a nominal 1.380". Moog just left the body in the original mill finish - no need to turn it down. It would only add cost with no added benefit.
Unread 06-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #4332
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryftmfw
Very nice! There moog tre's right?
All Moog TRE's and adjusting sleeves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysHI

Hahah you welcome!
Well thank you too. The first package to come to me from Hawaii ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomWJ

Yeah, JKS bars still get bent; mine got bent.

It is a good thing I did not buy it new, it came with axles, cause I would not want to spend that much money for it to bend.
How in the world did it get bent??

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 06-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #4333
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Just a quick tip from the ex-machinist in me - When measuring the thickness of just about anything (especially wall thickness on a tube like this), only use the beveled tips of the caliper. That's where the calipers will be most precise for you. Use the thumbwheel and apply light pressure - you'll be able to make those calipers flex a lot if you use too much pressure.

As for the OD - all raw stock runs oversized. So if you need a 1.375" part, you buy 1.375" stock which measures out at a nominal 1.380". Moog just left the body in the original mill finish - no need to turn it down. It would only add cost with no added benefit.
Thanks for the tip with the Calipers, good to know.

Hmm, did not think of that but that makes perfect sense.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 06-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #4334
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Question. When I hit a bump it makes the Jeep go off track some (mostly when not holding the steering wheel) anything I can do about this? Caster issue or TRE issue? I have not installed my new Moog TRE stuff yet. That has been my only complaint so far with the new lift.

Second, Is ~4" of up travel on the front shocks too little? The space from the axle to bump stop is about 4" as well. So, going full bump would be fully compressing the shocks and hitting the bump stops. I don't know is DD'ing will cause it to have that much uptravel. Was just wondering what you all thought. I am not too concerned about it at the moment.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 06-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #4335
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07
Question. When I hit a bump it makes the Jeep go off track some (mostly when not holding the steering wheel) anything I can do about this? Caster issue or TRE issue? I have not installed my new Moog TRE stuff yet. That has been my only complaint so far with the new lift.

Second, Is ~4" of up travel on the front shocks too little? The space from the axle to bump stop is about 4" as well. So, going full bump would be fully compressing the shocks and hitting the bump stops. I don't know is DD'ing will cause it to have that much uptravel. Was just wondering what you all thought. I am not too concerned about it at the moment.
My jeep does the same thing, kind of feels like the front end goes light? Could be the tre's
Larryftmfw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.