Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 282 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 06-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #4216
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07

What lift do you have? Which end did it grenade on? Axle or t-case.
6.5 long arm, the worst was the t-case

Larryftmfw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #4217
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryftmfw View Post
6.5 long arm, the worst was the t-case
Yup, that is a big lift. Custom driveshaft or stock double cardon? Front adjustable long arms? Which brand lift?

I am not sure if even the front stock double cardon driveshaft can handle that much lift.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #4218
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Update, in preparation to do as many pictures/measurements as I can with the MOOG TRE's compared to factory I bought a digital set of Calipers to get very precise measurements! Since I will be going away and having all the brakes/tie rods done for me while I am gone, there may be lacking side by side photos. However, I will ask to keep all the parts and still get measurements on the factory stuff and photoshop side by side if need be.

I will be getting these numbers:
1. Weight, OD (on the middle and outer section, they differ), ID (threads), and thickness of the material of the tie rod sleeve AND the drag link.
2. I want to to get weights of the Moog TRE's aswell as the thickness of them
3. Anything else?

I did a little test for fun and on the bathroom scale the tie rod sleeve was about 14 pounds mines the locking brackets. With all the hardware and the sleeve, I would guess close to 16 pounds!
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 06-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #4219
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Quote:

Yup, that is a big lift. Custom driveshaft or stock double cardon? Front adjustable long arms? Which brand lift?

I am not sure if even the front stock double cardon driveshaft can handle that much lift.
It's the iro, and it's the shaft that's all u joints. Non adj front long arms
Unread 06-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #4220
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
It's the iro, and it's the shaft that's all u joints. Non adj front long arms
Well there is no adjustment in caster if your long arms are not adjustable? I don't think. Unless, no wait a minute, there is caster adjustment with the IRO 3-link setup. That gold bracket should be caster adjustment.

Did you mean IRO front driveshaft?

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 06-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #4221
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Quote:

Well there is no adjustment in caster if your long arms are not adjustable? I don't think. Unless, no wait a minute, there is caster adjustment with the IRO 3-link setup. That gold bracket should be caster adjustment.

Did you mean IRO front driveshaft?
Iro lift, and yea caster is adj.
Unread 06-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #4222
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Iro lift, and yea caster is adj.
Okay okay, makes sense now. SO to keep your caster where it needs to be, that means that the pinion angle on the diff side is going to be steep. Kinda surprised that the axle side didnt go first. That is if your caster is in spec. Maybe it is time to go to a double double driveshaft?

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 06-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #4223
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Quote:

Okay okay, makes sense now. SO to keep your caster where it needs to be, that means that the pinion angle on the diff side is going to be steep. Kinda surprised that the axle side didnt go first. That is if your caster is in spec. Maybe it is time to go to a double double driveshaft?
What's that look like?
Unread 06-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #4224
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
What's that look like?
I am not an expert on that amount of lift and such. BUT a double double cardon driveshaft is a driveshaft with two u-joints on each side. So, what you have at your t-case would ALSO be at the axle side too. I do not remember many people needing this though. That is why I am conflicted here.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 06-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #4225
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Quote:

I am not an expert on that amount of lift and such. BUT a double double cardon driveshaft is a driveshaft with two u-joints on each side. So, what you have at your t-case would ALSO be at the axle side too. I do not remember many people needing this though. That is why I am conflicted here.
Yea, iro said that my style driveshaft would be more than able to handle this lift! So I'm thinking it was improperly aligned
Unread 06-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #4226
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryftmfw

Yea, iro said that my style driveshaft would be more than able to handle this lift! So I'm thinking it was improperly aligned
Do you have any alignment specs from your last alignment?

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 06-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #4227
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Quote:

Do you have any alignment specs from your last alignment?
Not sure, the shop charged me 75$ just because it's lifted.... I'm never going back there
Unread 06-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #4228
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryftmfw

Not sure, the shop charged me 75$ just because it's lifted.... I'm never going back there
Well there is a place that I have taken the Rubicon too and it was 100 bucks. But they specialize in lifted vehicles and Jeeps. With lifted Jeeps/vehicles I would feel thatd be necessary. But, with my WJ for example, i dont have adjustable caster or adjustable trackbar in, so i still feel a regular alignment shop can handle it.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 06-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #4229
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Sounds like the pinion angle was the problem. Alignment shops will set caster with no concern for pinion angle. Voila, driveshaft is toast. Shouldn't need a double-double, those are actually very hard to balance and not get vibes from since each end has so much more free travel than a single joint when combined with a center slip joint.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #4230
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
i dont have adjustable caster or adjustable trackbar in, so i still feel a regular alignment shop can handle it.
Most alignment shops won't touch an adjustable track bar. Standard shops will limit themselves to the factory adjustments only. If you need the control arms adjusted for pinion/caster then you need to pre-qualify the shop on whether they do that work.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.