Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 274 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 05-31-2012, 04:06 PM   #4096
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

No such thing as a CRD Hemi. And no, I was idley considering replacing the WJ with a WK to get some more room, and lifted ones on 33s look pretty tough... but the ONLY way that would ever happen is if it were a CRD. . I don't like the WK styling or IFS but I might be able to live with that for a diesel. When I saw the average $29,000 price tag, I changed my mind. Not that I'm averse to spending that on a vehicle, just not one that I am going to take and beat up on the trail.

If I could really have my way, I'd get the WK CRD and use it as tow-rig for my trail-prepped WJ. While we're dreaming....

billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #4097
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Oops that was supposed to say CRD "WK"

And I thought the WJ was expensive to lift. The WK costs even more to lift it right! Can you unlock power out a a Jeep diesel like you can compared to something like a Chevy Silverado Diesel? The CRD's that are in the Jeeps don't peg as being a tow rig. Not enough HP, but it does have an incredible amount of torque still. Just seems like it would struggle. Then again, never really had any experience with them so I really don't know. But, I am probably going to find out!
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 04:45 PM   #4098
straty1987

no, i have not found a good mechanical conditioned V8 WJ around me and not that found of the 4 speed auto/3.8 in the JK so been saving up for a new 2012 JK or maybe a "used" one since people the pentastar jk has been out for some time now. don't mind being jeep less for a short time since am saving up and still talking and see people in the jeep club around me. but am going to pull the trigger soon

been looking at QD2 WK but when i factor in lift money and armor a jk just makes more sense.
when you know what items you want in a jeep it really shortens you list in the used market.
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 04:47 PM   #4099
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straty1987 View Post
no, i have not found a good mechanical conditioned V8 WJ around me and not that found of the 4 speed auto/3.8 in the JK so been saving up for a new 2012 JK or maybe a "used" one since people the pentastar jk has been out for some time now. don't mind being jeep less for a short time since am saving up and still talking and see people in the jeep club around me. but am going to pull the trigger soon

been looking at QD2 WK but when i factor in lift money and armor a jk just makes more sense.
when you know what items you want in a jeep it really shortens you list in the used market.
If you are going JK. Do not get the 3.8 V6, you will be disappointed. The 3.8's power is terrible. I have driven a 2012 JK Rubicon and it was amazing.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #4100
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
Oops that was supposed to say CRD "WK"

And I thought the WJ was expensive to lift. The WK costs even more to lift it right! Can you unlock power out a a Jeep diesel like you can compared to something like a Chevy Silverado Diesel? The CRD's that are in the Jeeps don't peg as being a tow rig. Not enough HP, but it does have an incredible amount of torque still. Just seems like it would struggle. Then again, never really had any experience with them so I really don't know. But, I am probably going to find out!
Comparing apples to oranges. We're talking a 3.0L v6 vs a 6-7L V8. SUV vs 3/4 ton+ truck. Tow loads of 7500 (WK CRD rating) vs 15000 lbs+. Yes they can be hopped up a little with a chip, exhaust. Not so much tuning as the big diesels or the VW TDI though.
Unread 05-31-2012, 05:29 PM   #4101
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1

Comparing apples to oranges. We're talking a 3.0L v6 vs a 6-7L V8. SUV vs 3/4 ton+ truck. Tow loads of 7500 (WK CRD rating) vs 15000 lbs+. Yes they can be hopped up a little with a chip, exhaust. Not so much tuning as the big diesels or the VW TDI though.
Yeah i didnt think it would be a fair comparison. What makes the big diesel able to be "tuned" more?

Run some more boost through the WK? that is still a good tow rating for the CRD WK seeing how thats what the 5.7 will tow.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-31-2012, 05:46 PM   #4102
straty1987

Quote:
If you are going JK. Do not get the 3.8 V6, you will be disappointed. The 3.8's power is terrible. I have driven a 2012 JK Rubicon and it was amazing.
yea i know about the 3.8 jk have been doing allot of homework on it and talking to friends with them.
the thing that bothers me most its jeep says its normal for about 1 quart of oil to be "consumption" every 1000 miles or something like that in the 3.8.

the power with the 3.8 has a few factors. like 4 speed auto transmission, 3.21 over 3.73 gears are crap, electric throttle always makes it fell like theirs less power, and its a jeep.

the Rubicon 07-11 and under JK are better on the road then the others 07-11. but now there a recall on the 2010 i think since dirt and things get built up on the skid unconcern the jeep by the gas tank and since the cat is near there they catch on fire. allot of reports if you look around of new jeep jk's just scathing on fire and getting totaled and jeep doing nothing.

but am looking for 4 doors, hardtop, auto, ac, 3.73, connective group, power everything, and if available limited slip rear in a sport or Sahara or a Rubicon
Unread 05-31-2012, 05:59 PM   #4103
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Yeah i didnt think it would be a fair comparison. What makes the big diesel able to be "tuned" more?

Run some more boost through the WK? that is still a good tow rating for the CRD WK seeing how thats what the 5.7 will tow.
Merely the aftermarket community who has embraced the varying brands and the volume of owners looking for parts. There are maybe a few thousand CRDs running around the country and of those, maybe 25% are enthusiasts looking for a mod of some kind (I'd say more than average given the niche-nature of the CRD model). Compare to diesel pickups who have literally millions on the road with tens of thousands of enthusiasts looking for mods. That drives innovation - the potential to make money.

Anyway, I'd like to have one but that's not going to happen for quite some time (unless the WJ gets totalled out somehow).
Unread 05-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #4104
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straty1987

yea i know about the 3.8 jk have been doing allot of homework on it and talking to friends with them.
the thing that bothers me most its jeep says its normal for about 1 quart of oil to be "consumption" every 1000 miles or something like that in the 3.8.

the power with the 3.8 has a few factors. like 4 speed auto transmission, 3.21 over 3.73 gears are crap, electric throttle always makes it fell like theirs less power, and its a jeep.

the Rubicon 07-11 and under JK are better on the road then the others 07-11. but now there a recall on the 2010 i think since dirt and things get built up on the skid unconcern the jeep by the gas tank and since the cat is near there they catch on fire. allot of reports if you look around of new jeep jk's just scathing on fire and getting totaled and jeep doing nothing.

but am looking for 4 doors, hardtop, auto, ac, 3.73, connective group, power everything, and if available limited slip rear in a sport or Sahara or a Rubicon
Yeah it def sounds like you have been doing some research! I did see that recall and that was a little scary but no one has been hurt and i believe there have only been 6 cases?

The JK went to a more modern with electronics and almost more soccer mom. At least some of the base models. I just kind of got that feel about them. But when you deck a rubicon out then your good to go. If i was in your shoes id try to hold out for a pentastar jk if possible. Ive talked to my mechanic (mind you who works a jeep dealership) about the 3.8 v6's. They were putting in a new engine at 12 thousand miles.... i wouldnt get a jeep with one of them. Also slightly biased with my LJ Rubicon. Only only complaint is the lack of power. But absolutely everything else kicks *** in that thing. Drop a 3.6 pentastar in my rubi and ill be happy.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #4105
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1

Merely the aftermarket community who has embraced the varying brands and the volume of owners looking for parts. There are maybe a few thousand CRDs running around the country and of those, maybe 25% are enthusiasts looking for a mod of some kind (I'd say more than average given the niche-nature of the CRD model). Compare to diesel pickups who have literally millions on the road with tens of thousands of enthusiasts looking for mods. That drives innovation - the potential to make money.

Anyway, I'd like to have one but that's not going to happen for quite some time (unless the WJ gets totalled out somehow).
That was one of the ideas that i was toying with, the market for aftermarket products compared to the two. There really arent that many CRD around, you are right. Only one that ive see around me is my neighbors crd liberty.

Yeah I know that feeling, fun to talk about it though!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #4106
straty1987

Quote:
Yeah it def sounds like you have been doing some research! I did see that recall and that was a little scary but no one has been hurt and i believe there have only been 6 cases?

The JK went to a more modern with electronics and almost more soccer mom. At least some of the base models. I just kind of got that feel about them. But when you deck a rubicon out then your good to go. If i was in your shoes id try to hold out for a pentastar jk if possible. Ive talked to my mechanic (mind you who works a jeep dealership) about the 3.8 v6's. They were putting in a new engine at 12 thousand miles.... i wouldnt get a jeep with one of them. Also slightly biased with my LJ Rubicon. Only only complaint is the lack of power. But absolutely everything else kicks *** in that thing. Drop a 3.6 pentastar in my rubi and ill be happy.
i have heard of more the just 6 case.
Over 80,000 2010 Wranglers are being recalled

3.8 have similar problems in the other vehicles they are in.

everyone has a different idea of what a "real" jeep is. if it keeps the brand alive better for it. every new jeep gets bashed for whatever reason.
the WJ around wrangles dose not get a good vibe allot of the time until its proves itself or it has a 6 inch lift and 33's or 35's.
my first charity wheeling even i went to a few years back with mostly wrangler, one XJ and one FJ and all the wrangler guys gave me problems in the begin. then about midway threw they stooped since one of the wranglers behind me was having problem after problem on the trails.
Unread 06-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #4107
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

What are they going to try and fix with the recall? Like, what are they fixing and how?

I agree, Jeep is doing what it needs to do to keep the Jeep name alive and selling Jeeps! The Grand Cherokee has become luxurious but still capable of road. Competing with something like the Land Rover LR4 and or the Mercedes GL-Class. They are still making bad *** Rubicon's and stuff, so it is not like they just went all to "on-road-only" type cars! They are trying to get the most market available with a wider range of Jeeps, and there is nothing wrong with that! If Jeep ever goes out of bussiness, that will be a sad sad day...

I get made fun of in my Jeep club (they are all joking about it, its more like teasing) for having a WJ. But when I go wheeling with them I get to wheel in comfort. In the winter, I had my cozy heated seats and it was so nice While everyone else was in their Wranglers and such.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 06-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #4108
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yeah, I love going into FB or JF threads where people are complaining about the WK2, Patriot, Compass, or Liberty. Nevermind that the WK2 and Compass are saving the brand. 80% comp sales on the WK2, 300% comp sales on the Compass. The WK2 is a real step up, the only American SUV really going after the premium/sport SUV market. Competing with Land Rover, the BMW X5, the Audi Q7, even the Porsche Cayenne.
Unread 06-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #4109
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I am glad that you and I are on the same page there! I would love to have a WK2 they are really very nice. They come pretty dang close to the LR3 and LR4 that we have. Would for sure be comparing apples to apples now. Unlike the WJ to LR3 where that would be more apples to oranges imho. There are some various features that the LR's do have that WK2 doesn't and vice-versa. But all in all pretty close. The LR4 has the 5.0 V8 that puts down some power, then again the WK2 also has the 5.7! I could care less that Jeep is making Compasses, etc. Whatever it takes to keep it going, now I am not saying that I would ever drive one.

The 2012 WK2 Overland is just gorgeous. I would love to have one! Then factoring all the luxury items and then some of the new technology put into it, air suspension, adaptive cruise control. Only thing that I can think of that our Land Rover's have that the WK2 does not is the heated windshield, heated windows, and heated rear side windows. (We have the "cold-weather" package on it, its a pretty cool system)

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 06-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #4110
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Does this look right?

-Michael-

For Sale:

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.