Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 270 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #4036
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Oh sorry bout that. For some reason. I was thinking the cap popped off.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #4037
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager
Oh sorry bout that. For some reason. I was thinking the cap popped off.
Ohh no your good man. I have the 18 mm for the lugs that have the caps popped off. Its such a pain in the butt.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #4038
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
If I do new tie rods, going moog on all 4 ends and will pick up a new tie rod and drag link. Then get it aligned and steering re centered.

Ill pick some of that up the next time I go to a store. Autozone im assuming would have that?? Then will give it another shot.

Did I tell you all about my lug nuts? There where two lugs that would NOT break lose. I ended up getting one JAMMED in my socket.
Moog... yes. I cannot say anything bad about the brand everything I've put on my Jeep from them is pure beef. You can in theory do the allignment yourself, if you dont trust yourself then go get an allignment afterwards. I just did my toe myself and she seems to be tracking perfectly and no abnormal tire wear so far.

You can do the installation of the parts yourself if you're not afraid to smack the knuckle VERY hard with a hammer, smack a pickle fork very hard with a hammer, or get a TRE removal tool. You can assemble the whole setup outside the Jeep by counting the number of threads (and measuring length TRE to TRE) of the stock components and then add some grease and thread the TREs into the sleeve to the number of threads you counted on the stock components. Then it literally bolts up with a 3/4 wrench/socket, throw the cotter pin in, screw the zerk in, and load her up with a grease gun. There will be a couple pics on my build thread in a couple minutes of me doing it today. Then once its in you can EASILY make the fine adjustments by hand by spinning the sleeves and when you've measured three times over you can crank the clamps down nice and tight. The difference after I just did that today... out of control.

I 100% reccomend the moog components, they are much stiffer and heavy duty and not having front end play tightened my front end up so much it feels like a completely different vehicle going down the highway. Every bump I hit right now feels like I have a high end performance steering/suspension matchup between the Moogs, Bilsteins, and OMEs. Remember I was complaining about my Jeep and saying how much I wanted a BMW? I'll take that back now. I'm going to have to upload a video hitting a couple bridge expansion joints... she feels better on the highway now than the WKs with Rack and Pinion. Heck now that the front end is tight, I felt like I was in a car.

Disclaimer: Do not expect it to become a cloud... expect it to feel like a German Car. The steering gets tight and responsive and eliminating the flexy factory components will result in notably more feedback in the wheel. When I hit bumps and cracks in the road you feel a nice firm tap now. In fact... eliminating the play in the front has brought my bilsteins to life so much that I am now recognizing more imperfections in the interior (worn trim panels, rattles, everything). Now to go repeat all of this in my build thread lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJdan View Post
I just ordered all new moog tie rod ends and adjusting sleeves for the tie rod and drag link. $203 shipped. I also got a new tensioner. Rock auto has the best prices, but i think autozone/advance price matches.
I 200% reccomend rockauto. Got my components here in two days and they have the best prices. Tried to get my local advanced to pricematch rockauto and they wouldn't do it. Seeing as you dont need the parts RIGHT now I'd definitely do a Rockauto order when you're waiting. Replacing EVERYTHING should cost around $200

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #4039
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Between your build thread and facebook, this all sounds amazing and will hopefully be a project that is done by the end of the summer! I've got to get the lift finished, get those brakes/pads, and then I can look into going to all new front TRE's. Between Rockauto and Moog, sounds like a sure thing. I am glad that you are getting your BMW feel to your steering, mine is not at that level but, was not nearly as bad as you describe yours to be. If you need some door panel clips, I have about 50-75, message me and we can work something out there. When this does get accomplished, I think I will do it a friend's shop and drive next door (literally two buildings down) for an alignment shop that specializes in lifted Jeeps, trucks, etc. People who know what DW is and adjustable control arms, track bars etc. Haha. I am sure I could get it close to what I have now, but would not hurt to get it on a machine, I like to bump curbs getting out of parking lots at times. When you just don't feel like backing up, drive forward over the curb moments.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-20-2012, 01:01 AM   #4040
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Heh driving straight over curbs wont hurt your alignment.... It's when you pop curbs taking right turns or hit stuff haha

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 05-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #4041
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

When I do pop it, it usually pretty gentle. I want to do the whole tie rod replacement but my current ends arent broken so its hard to spend the money when its not broken.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #4042
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07
When I do pop it, it usually pretty gentle. I want to do the whole tie rod replacement but my current ends arent broken so its hard to spend the money when its not broken.
Hey man, you're talking to the right guy hahah I fully understand.

Matt
Unread 05-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #4043
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
Hey man, you're talking to the right guy hahah I fully understand.
Going up to Dad's house this weekend and him and I are going to take a shot at that drag link, jammed socket, and the Bilsteins. Those should be here by the end of the week.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #4044
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Lift Update. I hit a significant bump on the road at 50 mph and I had about 1/2 second of steering shimmy and it went away. Cause for a little concern but IIRC that same whole would have caused the same result when it was stock. Just a little more pronounced being lifted a little. So I was a little freaked out about that but fortunately it did not break out into full out DW. So at least that is a good thing. The Tie Rods all have 100K miles on them, so they are getting to the end of their life. I know I am going to get all 4 moog ends when I do order, is it worth getting a new tie rod and new drag link bar? Also my tires were at 38 PSI all around because I pumped them up for coming home from school. I put the front down to 33 and the rear to 35. Hope that will help the ride some too.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #4045
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Also likely your steering stabilizer is shot.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #4046
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Also likely your steering stabilizer is shot.
Was replaced with a RC-x "performance" SS about 10k miles ago. Notice the quotes haha.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #4047
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You can try not getting new adjusting sleeves but your old TREs are probably frozen in like mine were and the threads are gunned up enough that even if you get em out it'll still be a pain to thread the new ones in. Save yourself the time and just order them, makes the job nice and easy. Oh also the moog sleeves are heavy duty and feel worlds more solid

Matt
Unread 05-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #4048
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Looks like I will just anti-up and do it all. Especially if the new connecting rods are beefier.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #4049
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Diesel sounding 4.0 LOL

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #4050
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

New little project
forumrunner_20120524_172024.jpg  

-Michael-

For Sale:

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.